Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

From Merkin’s latest:

Dallas Keuchel and Hyun-Jin Ryu are two front-end starters still available, and the White Sox also could pursue an addition via trade. But the White Sox, in their move from rebuild to the first year of potential contention, might not want to make the same sort of long-term commitment at albeit a lower price point with these hurlers as they were ready to do with Wheeler.

There is help within the system behind the current starters. Michael Kopech, who had Tommy John surgery in September 2018, figures to start the season at Triple-A Charlotte as the White Sox work him back gradually. He should be back in the Majors by May, while Carlos Rodón and Dane Dunning both are expected back in-season following recovery from Tommy John surgery.

Just now, Orlando said:

From Merkin’s latest:

Dallas Keuchel and Hyun-Jin Ryu are two front-end starters still available, and the White Sox also could pursue an addition via trade. But the White Sox, in their move from rebuild to the first year of potential contention, might not want to make the same sort of long-term commitment at albeit a lower price point with these hurlers as they were ready to do with Wheeler.

There is help within the system behind the current starters. Michael Kopech, who had Tommy John surgery in September 2018, figures to start the season at Triple-A Charlotte as the White Sox work him back gradually. He should be back in the Majors by May, while Carlos Rodón and Dane Dunning both are expected back in-season following recovery from Tommy John surgery.

I hope this isn’t Merkin speaking for the front office.

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

From Merkin’s latest:

I think we know where this is going

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

I hope this isn’t Merkin speaking for the front office.

If we know anything, it’s that Merkin usually pushes what the Sox FO wants him to. He rarely goes out on a limb. If he says it, it’s because that’s the message they want out. 

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

From Merkin’s latest:

I don’t know what to make of this.

4 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Can we stop posting dumb rumors like that? Guy has 100 followers, what else did he break? Come on its tiring

2 hours ago, bachy said:

Are people seriously running with that WSD post?

giphy.gif

If Keuchel had agreed to sign/were signing with the White Sox, we'd know already. I'd love to have either him or Ryu, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on anything until you see an official press release, otherwise you're unnecessarily setting yourself up once again for another disappointment potentially.

Good call boys!

• Like 3

On 12/17/2019 at 9:04 AM, SonofaRoache said:

It amazes me that we are petty enough to not do business with the most important agent in baseball. The guy who has the best players in corp. 

You were saying?

On 12/17/2019 at 9:31 AM, Bad Hombre said:

You would lose your money. Sox haven’t signed a Boras free agent since Andruw Jones LOL

I wish I could have bet you. 

On 12/17/2019 at 9:32 AM, reiks12 said:

its pretty well known

It’s actually pretty well known that you were wrong...but perhaps you haven’t seen the news yet. You’re probably still exhausted from how “tiring” it was when people kept posting unreliable sources/rumors that Keuchel had agreed with the Sox. 

• Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

You were saying?

It’s actually pretty well known that you were wrong...but perhaps you haven’t seen the news yet. You’re probably still exhausted from how “tiring” it was when people kept posting unreliable sources/rumors that Keuchel had agreed with the Sox. 

The joke that the Sox never sign Boras clients was a real thing up until now.  It was Andruw Jones and Carlos Rodon and they don’t really count much as big free agent targets.  Jones was an aging player at 33 and coming off of a weak season so he didn’t command much on a one year deal — only $500,000 with $1 million in incentives.  Rodon is a Boras client but he was drafted by the Sox and rookie contracts are pretty much scaled.  He received a $6.582 million signing bonus which is nothing.

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

You were saying?

I'll admit I was wrong on this day. But since you want to brag, please provide a list of Boras free agents that we've signed over the years so that we can paint a clearer picture. 

2 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

I'll admit I was wrong on this day. But since you want to brag, please provide a list of Boras free agents that we've signed over the years so that we can paint a clearer picture. 

The picture was already clear that we have preferred to avoid Boras clients in the past, so we’re on the same page there. I even agreed with you on that front in an earlier post  

But I didn’t believe that meant we were too petty to do business with him this offseason. I truly believed we would sign a Boras client, which is why I felt that discussing the past was pointless. 

Still looking at Nick C. If the Cubs catch a break with Bryant I think Nick will head back North. He would make a nice DH if there was room for him. Not sure about the DH mix but maybe Nick could handle 45 games in RF. 

59 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

The picture was already clear that we have preferred to avoid Boras clients in the past, so we’re on the same page there. I even agreed with you on that front in an earlier post  

But I didn’t believe that meant we were too petty to do business with him this offseason. I truly believed we would sign a Boras client, which is why I felt that discussing the past was pointless. 

I'm just pulling your chain. I can admit when I'm wrong. I will say that I figured at some point we would engage with Boras because we need to complete this rebuild. I can't give the FO an A for this offseason because after Grandal, we got lower tier talent. But they did a good job of stabilizing this roster to have a chance in 2020 if things go well. 

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

I'm just pulling your chain. I can admit when I'm wrong. I will say that I figured at some point we would engage with Boras because we need to complete this rebuild. I can't give the FO an A for this offseason because after Grandal, we got lower tier talent. But they did a good job of stabilizing this roster to have a chance in 2020 if things go well. 

Well said. Cheers!  :cheers

14 minutes ago, pcq said:

Still looking at Nick C. If the Cubs catch a break with Bryant I think Nick will head back North. He would make a nice DH if there was room for him. Not sure about the DH mix but maybe Nick could handle 45 games in RF. 

I want Nick, but we may be better off with Encarnacion, as he is just a professional hitter and won't mind being a DH. We'd also only have to commit to him for a year on a reasonable deal. 

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

You were saying?

I am all for a good laugh but you look like an asshole here. Not a good look.

• Haha 1

Sox received their participation trophy for team of the decade after amassing more wins than either the Padres and Marlins. With only 27 teams to overtake and the 4ALC left to be won by forfeit, the future looks bright. 

• Like 1