Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will also say I think the free agent SP market is at a standstill as Boras & Bumgarner’s agent push for unrealistic deals in the wake of the Wheeler & Strasburg signings.  That should self correct at some point, but until then there probably isn’t much Hahn can do on that front.  Panicking over the Wheeler miss and handing $100M+ to Bumgarner would be a bad reactive measure.

They are all waiting to see the fallout when 2 of the Angels, Yankees and Dodgers lose out on Cole...then things will happen quite quickly.

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I have been very optimistic but you can’t read those articles and not say that it seems like they have no idea on how they are going  to pivot after Wheeler. They always temper expectations through the media. The narrative has been “the Sox are trying to spend! They are a team to watch. They want to compete!” And here come the White Sox with their pushback. 

In my opinion that could also be the Whitesox trying to bump up some of the value of their prospects to say they are fine waiting on another offseason to try to get a pitcher in a trade. While it’s very frustrating, no other club made any moves yesterday either. Today could be a huge signal for what they will do the rest of these meetings.

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I have been very optimistic but you can’t read those articles and not say that it seems like they have no idea on how they are going  to pivot after Wheeler. They always temper expectations through the media. The narrative has been “the Sox are trying to spend! They are a team to watch. They want to compete!” And here come the White Sox with their pushback. 

My guess is this posturing given the ridiculous pitching prices right.  Boras is like a shark in the water right now and can smell the blood.  He knows how desperate teams like us and the Twins are and is almost certainly maintaining high prices in hopes of one us panicking.  I really think these stories are us trying to downplay our desperation and regain some form of leverage.  While I think negotiating through the media is very stupid, teams routinely do it for some reason.

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

In my opinion that could also be the Whitesox trying to bump up some of the value of their prospects to say they are fine waiting on another offseason to try to get a pitcher in a trade. While it’s very frustrating, no other club made any moves yesterday either. Today could be a huge signal for what they will do the rest of these meetings.

Well, except the Nationals.

Sure, they can go with the whole KW “let’s wait until the trade deadline and see where we’re at” approach...maybe things will be clearer, some prospects will have raised their market values, etc.

We’re approximately where the Royals were in 2013.  .500+, but not a postseason team, either.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Well, except the Nationals.

Meant to say outside the Nationals. I still think they can get something down just more posturing for potential trades today. In my opinion they cannot afford to kick the can down the road, next offseason will be one year closer to having to fork out money to keep Moncada and free agency will have less pitching depth making trades even more significant if not done now. If you wait you are only shrinking your window to win. Yes, even if they add significant pieces this offseason they still might not be competitive enough this upcoming season but this rebuild is just about over guys, let’s get back to winning and get the team to understand how to win this season so they get ahead of this learning curve.

9 minutes ago, GermanSoxFan said:

I have a hard time believing that they are willing to punt next season just because a good but not great pitcher signed elsewhere.

At some point, the market is what the market is. The tier after Stras and Cole is about 5yrs between $125-$150. If they were in a bidding war, they should of seen what happened last year, anticipated what would happen, and thrown an offer of $140-$150 at Wheeler. I am not saying he is worth that, but your team need that. This team can not survive(signing) players in a bidding war, there is evidence of that. So they need to sweeten the pot. 

But to your point on punting, I don't think they are that smart, nor do I think that is what they think. I think, Jerry either doesn't wanna spend money or he has to get the upper hand in these signings. You can cite Grandal signing as them spending money, but they really have done nothing since then, and are talking about giving up assets for players instead of outright signing someone. They are going to waste Moncada's time on the sox, just like they waster Sale's time. History repeats itself, and I just have a feeling bargain bin Jerry is about to waste more time. 

3 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Honestly, the Sox are probably best off just trading for Price and Benintendi right now, assuming they wouldn’t have to give up anything significant. And then maybe sign Keuchel. a rotation of Giolito/Price/Keuchel/Kopech/cease moving forward looks pretty good on paper, as does Benintendi in RF.

I don’t see that trade being something the Red Sox would consider.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t see that trade being something the Red Sox would consider.

If they’re really that desperate to clear out salary they might. Getting out of Price’s contract would be huge for them, to the point where they might even be able to keep Betts.

Edited by YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES!

2 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

It was reported that the Sox aggressively pursued Jordan Lyles after missing on Wheeler, so I don't think they're ready to punt on 2020 just yet.

You also just 24 hours prior had reporters like Bruce Levine and Scott Merkin still projecting the whitesox to make a couple moves before the week ended. So this is total posturing. Hopefully today is a big day! 

8 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

It was reported that the Sox aggressively pursued Jordan Lyles after missing on Wheeler, so I don't think they're ready to punt on 2020 just yet.

Adding Jordan Lyles would be pretty close to punting.  He’s bad.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

This has to be something related with Boston. It just has to be.

Wow, my guy raBBit dropping those heat bombs just in the nick of time!  

I’m going to say one of the frameworks is a deal with the Rockies for Gray + Blackmon.  We take on most if not all of Charlie’s contract and give up very little in return.

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

Pack it up boys, they won’t be adding. “Too many holes to contend” , “look internally for pitching”, “push might be a year away”

The last one's headline is the opinion of an AL scout, nothing more. Haven't had the chance to read the other two yet, but it seems like freaking out over no moves after the first full day of the meetings. 

1 minute ago, Sleepy Harold said:

The last one's headline is the opinion of an AL scout, nothing more. Haven't had the chance to read the other two yet, but it seems like freaking out over no moves after the first full day of the meetings. 

You’re right about the third article.  The Fegan one has some interesting quotes from Hahn though.

I don't know, after being embarrassed about how provocative they were last year when they couldn't back it up, all of this read to me as a "we are going to evaluate the opportunities".

And the thing I actually liked is (despite not trusting sox valuations) is they are not giving the impression that they are just moving down the line of top free agents in order to catch a big fish (i.e. we missed out on wheeler, welp, lets throw it all at bumgarner).

Now, this is grading on a curve, since I still think the best use of their cheap talent is to spend a shit ton on another star and then operate in this zone they are already in of value tier free agents, but I'll take what I can get.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wow, my guy raBBit dropping those heat bombs just in the nick of time!  

I’m going to say one of the frameworks is a deal with the Rockies for Gray + Blackmon.  We take on most if not all of Charlie’s contract and give up very little in return.

I would LOVE that