Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

They kind of did things backwards...because we’re likely sacrificing Grandal’s best season in terms of hitting or pitch framing to a .500ish team.

That said, he has one year to become familiar with the young pitchers and coaching staff.

Of course, there are so few impact catchers out there this might have been the best play because next year’s market is so limited.

Right now, it doesn’t seem like any team out of the Central will do anything beyond serving as a sacrificial lamb for the East and West.   But that’s also the sad part, we can’t even up and seize the reigns against financially-limited organizations...or those who simply operate better in the margins such as the Rays, A’s, Twins and Indians.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

We arent even mentioned as checking in

I wouldn't read too much into that.  There is no way the Sox aren't checking in with Ryu.  He may prefer to stay west coast, but teams like MN and TOR shouldn't be mentioned then either.  

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I will say this, Hahn has exhibited patience in the GM seat so far

One man's patience is another man's "what the fuck, will you get off your ass and spend that fucking $$ that you said was going to be spent."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, mqr said:

Rangers fans are on Twitter and Reddit are talking EXACTLY like Sox fans. It's pretty eerie.

49069B96-E6EA-44B3-B44E-21CBA13AE1B7.jpeg

My guess is every team's fans except for the Yankees, Nationals, and Angels are sounding about the same way. Even the Nationals fans are probably b****ing about not keeping Rendon and I know the Angel's fans are pissed about not getting any pitching except for Bundy.

Edited by MeanJoeCrede
Grammar

Wow, everyone is acting like the off-season is over. I am disappointed with the winter meetings, but there are still plenty of impact moves through trade or free agency they can make. It is still very possible they can get a couple decent arms and another big bat to go with the Grandal acquisition, and I think we’d all be happy with that. Not saying they will, but holding judgment until the roster is complete. So....let’s hear some new rumors so I can be excited again!

7 minutes ago, tsak31 said:

Wow, everyone is acting like the off-season is over. I am disappointed with the winter meetings, but there are still plenty of impact moves through trade or free agency they can make. It is still very possible they can get a couple decent arms and another big bat to go with the Grandal acquisition, and I think we’d all be happy with that. Not saying they will, but holding judgment until the roster is complete. So....let’s hear some new rumors so I can be excited again!

Today I was in line at the grocery store and the guy in front of me told the cashier he heard Rick Hahn was going to resign as GM of the White Sox!

53 minutes ago, tsak31 said:

I have heard enough rumors during past couple of days. I would like my mind to rest. As far as any impact moves, I will only believe that when they actually happen. I certainly won't listen to this front office.

9 hours ago, Orlando said:

In my opinion this is a bad take. If you are not going to go after the top tier, you have to pivot to improving where you can. You can’t build a contender without spending somewhere. Sox aren’t going to field a WS contender standing pat

In my opinion the WS have not stood pat.  Opening day has Grandal & Mazara and a few weeks later Robert, Madrigal and at ASB or sooner Dunning, Kopech and Rodon perhaps.  If no other changes occurred I think we would be looking at roughly 84 or so wins.  Two #3-5 starters and two good not great relievers push that number of wins to 90.  I admit this isn't the sexy offseason we all hoped for but we're in pretty good shape even without landing a whale.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

My guess is every team's fans except for the Yankees, Nationals, and Angels are sounding about the same way. Even the Nationals fans are probably b****ing about not keeping Rendon and I know the Angel's fans are pissed about not getting any pitching except for Bundy.

Yet.   They are working on a Kluber trade and adding one of the remaining three big names as we speak. 

1 hour ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

The dodger fans were livid about Rendon. They told their fans he didn't want to go to LA. But  other parts of Orange county is fine?

22 minutes ago, poppysox said:

In my opinion the WS have not stood pat.  Opening day has Grandal & Mazara and a few weeks later Robert, Madrigal and at ASB or sooner Dunning, Kopech and Rodon perhaps.  If no other changes occurred I think we would be looking at roughly 84 or so wins.  Two #3-5 starters and two good not great relievers push that number of wins to 90.  I admit this isn't the sexy offseason we all hoped for but we're in pretty good shape even without landing a whale.

Kopech will start the season with MLB team.

I’m sure this comment means nothing, but terrifying nonetheless:

Wheeler picked the Phillies, but the White Sox have moved on from their top choice and their five-year, $125 million offer. Even if they aren't committed to giving the required years and money to starters like Madison Bumgarner, Dallas Keuchel or Hyun-Jin Ryu as part of their current rebuild phase, there are other options. Those options could include trades.

"Absolutely. You've seen over the years us use our financial flexibility to acquire some contracts," Hahn said. "That flexibility doesn't always have to be spent on free agents."

https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/white-sox-winter-meetings-2019-wrap

52 minutes ago, aeichhor said:

Plus that extra sushi Hahn had the other night 

The funny thing is how much more efficiently the Brewers allocate their resources, better trades, better ROI on the pitching front, two consecutive playoff appearances, beating the Cubs, etc....meanwhile, we're spending our new t.v. contract dollars on first-class airfare and giving international bonus pool money away.  Rewarding our execs for their excellence (well, Thome doesn't deserve any crap, I guess.)

Referring to the idea of contract relief for other teams.

What are the odds that David Price is the pitching equivalent of Alex Rios...?  If we could get Rios' accumulated White Sox fWAR (obviously one season was a complete disaster, solid otherwise) out of Price, that would be a huge win.  The problem is where he's on the shelf but not retired or kicking in the 70% insurance payouts.  It's such a huge gamble.  No team in baseball would just take on Price's contract, like we did with the Rios deal.  Would almost prefer Eovaldi if they're going to choose that approach (which is still better than decimating the farm system or trading away Madrigal/Vaughn.)

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure this comment means nothing, but terrifying nonetheless:

https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/white-sox-winter-meetings-2019-wrap

Why? To me that indicates they can just suck up a bad deal. Also let’s remember Sox were rumored to like Eovaldi last year. Maybe GM they take on a horrible deal with upside.

Just now, bmags said:

Why? To me that indicates they can just suck up a bad deal. Also let’s remember Sox were rumored to like Eovaldi last year. Maybe GM they take on a horrible deal with upside.

Why is sucking up a bad deal a good thing?  Trading for Eovaldi would be horrific.  I’m not sure who else you have in mind though.