Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

19 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’m sure this comment means nothing, but terrifying nonetheless:

https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/white-sox-winter-meetings-2019-wrap

The only way this makes sense is if they eat a horrible contract entirely to get a young player who they think is worth his contract + the bad contract more than one of the current FA'a are worth with their expected price tag.

4 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The only way this makes sense is if they eat a horrible contract entirely to get a young player who they think is worth his contract + the bad contract more than one of the current FA'a are worth with their expected price tag.

So Hahn went from no one will care if we hit on our target December 5th or 20th to no one would care if we hit on them December 13th to January 13th. Keep moving those goal posts.

Edited by SonofaRoache

From f**ans article it appears the sox will not be in on any of the top starters left.

Hahn seemed to kick the can down the road another offseason by implying that you sign guys in their 30s when you know the window is here. Youd prefer younger guys if you're not quite sure. 

Wonder what there excuse next year will be. We're still not sure were there yet lol.

Hahn also seemed to imply that they were in on one of the top guys without saying which one... but it just didn't work out.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

From f**ans article it appears the sox will not be in on any of the top starters left.

Hahn seemed to kick the can down the road another offseason by implying that you sign guys in their 30s when you know the window is here. Youd prefer younger guys if you're not quite sure. 

Wonder what there excuse next year will be. We're still not sure were there yet lol.

That's odd, because all the talk was about how they were trying to contend this year. And had we expected to contend next year, would those pitchers magically turn 26 again? We will contend in 2021, so what is one year early? 

7 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Hahn also seemed to imply that they were in on one of the top guys without saying which one... but it just didn't work out.

Can we hoist some type of flag up on one of the GRF flagpoles with this:  "Most close-misses on conversions of any GM"

But at least we tried.  That has to keep the fanbase satisfied for another year, surely.

So Hahn apparently had this to say as well.

"That’s part of what makes this game great,” Hahn said, “and probably a guy the fans see fits with what we’re doing and (say), ‘Hey, they should pursue him,’ maybe we did. Maybe we have extra information where it shows that would’ve been a fruitless pursuit in the end, just based on the player’s preference for where they want to be, league or location."

So once and for all, it's not just about the money. 

4 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

"That’s part of what makes this game great,” Hahn said, “and probably a guy the fans see fits with what we’re doing and (say), ‘Hey, they should pursue him,’ maybe we did. Maybe we have extra information where it shows that would’ve been a fruitless pursuit in the end, just based on the player’s preference for where they want to be, league or location."

Then why the HELL did we spend so much time/effort chasing after Wheeler instead of honing on Keuchel/Ryu all along, like we did with Grandal?  

So that "extra information" didn't tell you that it would be a fruitless pursuit in the end...?

The Boras excuse, yet again?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

Stratsburg / Rendon?

Everyone of the top guys took the most guaranteed money again. Dodgers and rangers both tried to get cute with the years and aav.

Its about the money. Dont let hahn convince you otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

Stratsburg / Rendon?

No way it was Stras. 32 would have scared them off.

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Then why the HELL did we spend so much time/effort chasing after Wheeler instead of honing on Keuchel/Ryu all along, like we did with Grandal?  

So that "extra information" didn't tell you that it would be a fruitless pursuit in the end...?

The Boras excuse, yet again?

They seem to not like ryu or Keuchel which I cant blame them for.

Rendon balked at getting a lot of money deferred from the Nats, like Scherzer ($100+ million) and Strasburg ($80+ million) agred to.

The overall numbers might have been higher, but not after factoring in inflation and taxes.

Does anyone know for a fact the Wheeler money wasn't partially deferred in the Sox offer?

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Everyone of the top guys took the most guaranteed money again. Dodgers and rangers both tried to get cute with the years and aav.

Its about the money. Dont let hahn convince you otherwise.

He went too far in depth for me to not believe him. We were burned by Wheeler offering the most and probably a few of their other targets preferred not to play here, that were within their price range

He went too far in depth for me to not believe him. We were burned by Wheeler offering the most and probably a few of their other targets preferred not to play here, that were within their price range

The similarities to the Bulls in free agency are uncanny 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why is sucking up a bad deal a good thing?  Trading for Eovaldi would be horrific.  I’m not sure who else you have in mind though.

Well at least sucking up a bad deal means they aren’t giving up major prospects.

29 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I do not like what he’s implying.  I’m definitely worried we’re going to trade further prospect depth for one or two year mid/back rotation starters.  I’ll just never get this front office.

Also, it’s Fegan not f**an.

31 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

That's odd, because all the talk was about how they were trying to contend this year. And had we expected to contend next year, would those pitchers magically turn 26 again? We will contend in 2021, so what is one year early? 

I said it before and I’ll say it again.  Wheeler was plan A, plan B, & plan C.  Now the front office doesn’t know what to do because they don’t love the next tier of guys and don’t want to overpay for them.  That’s fine except for the fact you just signed a post 30 year old catcher and most of your core will be in place come May.  If there ever was a time to start pushing some chips in, now would be that time.

33 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hahn is the biggest hypocrite. He talks about Sox fans not wanting to hear about almost getting guys....and then he keeps referencing almost landing players.  I’m so sick of hearing excuses from him.

I’ve given him a free pass on this for a while, but now it’s time he gets ripped for it.  He definitely credit because they were the high bid with Wheeler despite losing out on him.

13 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I said it before and I’ll say it again.  Wheeler was plan A, plan B, & plan C.  Now the front office doesn’t know what to do because they don’t love the next tier of guys and don’t want to overpay for them.  That’s fine except for the fact you just signed a post 30 year old catcher and most of your core will be in place come May.  If there ever was a time to start pushing some chips in, now would be that time.

But he doesn't know for sure if we will win the title this year. We won't know for sure until 2023. After that, we still won't know because due to market reasons, we will have to trade Gio and Moncada. 

Edited by SonofaRoache
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, I do not like what he’s implying.  I’m definitely worried we’re going to trade further prospect depth for one or two year mid/back rotation starters.  I’ll just never get this front office.

Also, it’s Fegan not f**an.

It's Fegan not who? I cannot see the correction, please retype it as it's happened twice. 

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, fathom said:

Hahn is the biggest hypocrite. He talks about Sox fans not wanting to hear about almost getting guys....and then he keeps referencing almost landing players.  I’m so sick of hearing excuses from him.

This. 

He brings this on himself, but to be fair it doesn't matter - he's been with the orginization for 20 years and isn't held accountable. Neither is KW, neither will anybody else JR brings in. It's amazing JR is as rich as he is, because he sure doesn't know how to run a company or business. 

• Like 1