Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

54 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

You think adding Grandal, Castellanos, Robert, Madrigal, and a back-end starter amounts to only a 4 win improvement next season?

You have to account for season to season fluctuations. Inevitably, some of the guys that did well this year will have worse seasons next year. It happens to the best of them. Look at Jose Ramirez's 2018 and 2019. He's still a great player, but he had a down half season. 

If you look at the seasons that the Sox good players had in 2019, there's not much room for improvement, and a ton of room for regression. 

To clarify:

Guys that could get better:

Giolito 

Moncada 

Cease

Guys that will probably be worse: 

Anderson 

Abreu 

McCann

Grandal

Wild Card:

Lopez

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 3

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

You have to account for season to season fluctuations. Inevitably, some of the guys that did well this year will have worse seasons next year. It happens to the best of them. Look at Jose Ramirez's 2018 and 2019. He's still a great player, but he had a down half season. 

Works both ways. For example, I think most of our relievers (save for Bummer) have better years. Same goes for Lopez. I also think Anderson improves on defense. 

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Works both ways. For example, I think most of our relievers (save for Bummer) have better years. Same goes for Lopez. I also think Anderson improves on defense. 

Very doubtful this team wins nearly every game they’re leading after 8 again next year

27 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The additions of Robert, Grandal, Kopech, Madrigal, and Cease (full season) make us an ~80 win team as constructed, IMO. Getting one of Ryu/Keuchel, Castellanos/Pederson, and hopefully one more significant piece pushes us towards the higher 80s. 

I will say we really need to make our RF addition count now.  Can’t go with a Calhoun type next year.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

The additions of Robert, Grandal, Kopech, Madrigal, and Cease (full season) make us an ~80 win team as constructed, IMO. Getting one of Ryu/Keuchel, Castellanos/Pederson, and hopefully one more significant piece pushes us towards the higher 80s. 

The 80 win as constructed is conservative IMO.  The five people you mention add a lot of firepower to this team.

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I will say we really need to make our RF addition count now.  Can’t go with a Calhoun type next year.

I totally agree with this. Either Castollanos or Joc. Maybe even some other controllable candidate that we will have to trade for. But the Sox could put together a dangerous lineup with the right person in rf.

Just to clarify Ryu's injury history with the Dodgers. Did I miss any and is there any reason to assume that any of these problems will recur? I'm just asking.

2014 - Pitched 26 games for the Dodgers in 2014, despite missing time with various injuries.

2015 - He started the season on the disabled list and despite reporting himself pain free in April, the Dodgers decided to take a cautious route with him as he had shoulder pain sporadically during the previous season. He was placed on the 60-day disabled list on May 4 and the Dodgers noted a lack of velocity in his bullpen session soon afterwards, causing his rehab to be shut down. He decided to have surgery on the shoulder to alleviate the problem. The surgery revealed that he needed his left shoulder labrum repaired, which was done on May 21, ending his chances of pitching during the 2015 season.

2016 - Ryu eventually rejoined the Dodgers on July 7, 2016. However, he reported elbow discomfort after the game and was placed back on the disabled list.  On September 28, he underwent debridement surgery on his left elbow.

2017 - ???

2018 - Made 6 starts before landing on the disabled list with a groin injury. He was placed on the 60-day disabled list on June 2nd.

2019 - Healthy with no serious, or lengthy injuries.

Edited by Lillian

Just so puzzled how so many Sox fans can think Castellanos is a good fit based on where we stand today. RF the one position that makes sense for a 2021 free agency splash and Castellanos defense combined with long term presence of Jose just clogs this lineup long term. I don’t deny that the 2020 lineup would be drastically improved, but it’s a short sighted move. 

You have to analyze the overall impact of a deal for an organization. Paying Castellanos $16-18M AAV over the next 4-5 years, and committing to poor team defense during his tenure is not what good teams do. 

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Just so puzzled how so many Sox fans can think Castellanos is a good fit based on where we stand today. RF the one position that makes sense for a 2021 free agency splash and Castellanos defense combined with long term presence of Jose just clogs this lineup long term. I don’t deny that the 2020 lineup would be drastically improved, but it’s a short sighted move. 

You have to analyze the overall impact of a deal for an organization. Paying Castellanos $16-18M AAV over the next 4-5 years, and committing to poor team defense during his tenure is not what good teams do. 

So, what do we do then?  Sign Kole Calhoun and just hope Springer or Mookie are dying to play here?  They need a big bat.

We are facing a clock and it starts this season. 

• Like 1

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

So, what do we do then?  Sign Kole Calhoun and just hope Springer or Mookie are dying to play here?  They need a big bat.

We are facing a clock and it starts this season. 

I’ve laid out what I’d do countless times. Top of my list would be guys on expiring contracts like David Peralta or Joc Pederson. If those didn’t work I’d explore what it would take to acquire a Nimmo or Gregory Polonco. If those didn’t pan out I’d circle back to free agents on a 1 year deal. 

I'm not a big fan of being tied to Marcell Ozuna. Too many times have I see a guy hit .240 or so the season before joining the White Sox head to tankville.

Please pass on the guy.

The Sox need to spend the money. Castellanos should be their top target, and then they need to bring in an arm to fit into the SP2 or 3 slot. I'd consider it a minor miracle if they scored Strasburg, but I can't imagine them ponying up the dough. I actually see Strasburg as a guy who's going to dominate the next 4-5 seasons.

So let's break the arms down:

Absolutely won't happen
Gerrit Cole

Would be amazing but likely not to happen
Stephen Strasburg

Stay the fuck away
Madison Bumgarner
Hyun-jin Ryu

Why even bother
Wade Miley

Sure, let's do it (in this order)
Dallas Keuchel
Jake Odorizzi
Rick Porcello

The Sox are in a decent spot here because they do have two SP1 upside arms in Giolito and Kopech, so they don't need to spend $200m to bring in a beast. However, if they did spend on Strasburg, they suddenly have one of the highest upside rotations in all of baseball.

So, to summarize:

Sign Strasburg
Sign Castellanos
Profit

Edited by Steve9347
f***y dinky doop
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Steve9347 said:

I'm not a big fan of being tied to Marcell Ozuna. Too many times have I see a guy hit .240 or so the season before joining the White Sox head to tankville.

Please pass on the guy.

The Sox need to spend the money. Castellanos should be their top target, and then they need to bring in an arm to fit into the SP2 or 3 slot. I'd consider it a minor miracle if they scored Strasburg, but I can't imagine them ponying up the dough. I actually see Strasburg as a guy who's going to dominate the next 4-5 seasons.

So let's break the arms down:

Absolutely won't happen
Gerrit Cole

Would be amazing but likely not to happen
Stephen Strasburg

Stay the fuck away
Madison Bumgarner
Hyun-jin Ryu

Why even bother
Wade Miley

Sure, let's do it (in this order)
Dallas Keuchel
Jake Odorizzi
Rick Porcello

The Sox are in a decent spot here because they do have two SP1 upside arms in Giolito and Kopech, so they don't need to spend $200m to bring in a beast. However, if they did spend on Strasburg, they suddenly have one of the highest upside rotations in all of baseball.

So, to summarize:

Sign Strasburg, Castellanos, profit.

Odorizzi took the qualifying offer.

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I’ve laid out what I’d do countless times. Top of my list would be guys on expiring contracts like David Peralta or Joc Pederson. If those didn’t work I’d explore what it would take to acquire a Nimmo or Gregory Polonco. If those didn’t pan out I’d circle back to free agents on a 1 year deal. 

This is crybaby accepting the White Sox as shitland bullshit. Joc would come here and immediately hit .185. These guys are bums.

EDIT: I do like Polanco. 

Edited by Steve9347
I do like Polanco.

17 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

You'd rather have Polanco over Castellanos? 

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

You'd rather have Polanco over Castellanos? 

Fuck that noise. Castellanos for life.

Call his agent and add 20 mill to the life of whatever the highest offer is if he signs tonight. Boom.

I'd be terrible at this BUT BOY WOULD IT BE FUN TO WATCH.