Successful Plan B; What’s Next?

SoxBlanco

Alright, as of today, here is my Plan B:

• Sign one of the following:  Ryu or Keuchel
  • Sign one of the following:  Teheran, Wood, Bailey
  • Sign Castellanos

Most people won't like the Castellanos move, but if he stays on the market for a while and can be had at a reasonable price, I think he can be a nice fit paired with Mazara at RF and DH. I'm not sure what we'd do with Collins in that scenario, though. Maybe he goes to AAA or maybe he gets traded.

4 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

• Sign Castellanos

Most people won't like the Castellanos move, but if he stays on the market for a while and can be had at a reasonable price, I think he can be a nice fit paired with Mazara at RF and DH. I'm not sure what we'd do with Collins in that scenario, though. Maybe he goes to AAA or maybe he gets traded.

Castellanos ideal value would be at DH, and I do not think we are ready to commit that sort of money to a DH/platoon RF. His atrocious defense negates some of his bat's value. 

20 minutes ago, SonofaRoache said:

It amazes me that we are petty enough to not do business with the most important agent in baseball. The guy who has the best players in corp. 

Do you really believe we just refuse to do business with him?  If there was an over/under bet in Vegas on the White Sox signing 0.5 Boras clients this offeseason, I would bet the over.

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

Do you really believe we just refuse to do business with him?  If there was an over/under bet in Vegas on the White Sox signing 0.5 Boras clients this offeseason, I would bet the over.

You would lose your money. Sox haven’t signed a Boras free agent since Andruw Jones LOL

1 hour ago, SoxBlanco said:

• Sign Castellanos

Paying Castellanos $90M or whatever he is going to get to be the weak side platoon partner in RF isn't going to happen.

If he falls into the 3/$45M category....maybe it starts to make sense.  But that isn't going to happen.  

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Paying Castellanos $90M or whatever he is going to get to be the weak side platoon partner in RF isn't going to happen.

If he falls into the 3/$45M category....maybe it starts to make sense.  But that isn't going to happen.  

That's why I added the caveat about him staying on the market for a while. I think there's a chance that nobody wants him at a high price and he's still on the market in February. At that point, if the price for him lowers, I'd like to sign him.

17 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

That's why I added the caveat about him staying on the market for a while. I think there's a chance that nobody wants him at a high price and he's still on the market in February. At that point, if the price for him lowers, I'd like to sign him.

I don't think there is any chance Castellanos is there until February.  He's arguably the best bat on the market and he's 27.

3 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I don't think there is any chance Castellanos is there until February.  He's arguably the best bat on the market and he's 27.

I don't think it's very likely, but I think it's possible. His defense will scare teams, and his asking price is probably very high right now.

24 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Any subscribers have any nuggets for us from Fegan's latest?

He ends it by saying the Sox would be better off signing Ryu despite their tendency to avoid aging pitchers than they would having Hahn have to try and explain to the fan base that the window isnt quite open enough to take the risk.

17 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

I don't think it's very likely, but I think it's possible. His defense will scare teams, and his asking price is probably very high right now.

I thought he would get 16 a year before FA started, which I thought was a fair number.  He's probably around 18 a year with how this has been playing out for 4-5 years.