Sox in on MadBum

Sockin

2 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

That wasn't your argument though.

I'd take either DK or HJR on a 1 year deal, but that solves nothing. 

I think both will get deals in the 3 year 55-75M range. 

Hard pass on anything over a two year deal on either Keuchel or Ryu. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

We just figure at this point we either or going to overspend for 4 years on a Bum or Ryu or we are going to have to (gulp) trust Hahn to make a trade to go get someone like Gray (whose road splits suck too).  Just go with the cheapest tier 2 guy and hope they turn into a #5 starter by year end.  Spend the rest on upgrading the offense

17 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Wheeler is so much better than Bumgarner and it’s not even close.  He also has like 1,000 less innings on his arm, elite stuff, and better fits our park.  And please check out his road splits if he think HRs aren’t a problem with Madison.

Ok, I checked.  And last year he gave up the exact same number of HRs at home and on the road.  .  And of the 15 he gave up on the road, 4 of them (about 27%) were in 2 starts at Coors.  Soooo..... not sure what your point is exactly.  

And while it is fun to say that Wheeler is better, the simple fact is that to this point, he never has been better.  They are about 6 months apart in age, and Wheeler has never had a lower ERA.  He has once had more IP.  He has once had a better WHIP.    Bumgarner routinely has a better BB ratio, and a better K ratio.  

You know why Bumgarner has so many more innings on his arm?  It is because he is better.  He has gotten better results.  By a lot.  Now, again, maybe Wheeler pitches better from this point on, he could.  But even last year, Bumgarner had the better ERA, more IP, better K/BB, better WHIP, better H/9.  So if he is so much better, I would think it would show in the results.  It just never has.  

Edited by turnin' two

3 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

We just figure at this point we either or going to overspend for 4 years on a Bum or Ryu or we are going to have to (gulp) trust Hahn to make a trade to go get someone like Gray (whose road splits suck too).  Just go with the cheapest tier 2 guy and hope they turn into a #5 starter by year end.  Spend the rest on upgrading the offense

Don't forget the bullpen.  With our offence we will be scoring a lot.  Pitching whether from starters or bullpen needs to keep us in the game.  We won't be out of very many games.

5 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Don't forget the bullpen.  With our offence we will be scoring a lot.  Pitching whether from starters or bullpen needs to keep us in the game.  We won't be out of very many games.

Wait, so... you don't want to relive the early 2000s when Maggs, Valentin and Co. would score 10 runs in the first inning, only to watchthe likes of Jon Rouch or Danny Wright cough up the lead the very next frame??

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

When it comes time for playoffs pitching always wins out. 

5 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Wait, so... you don't want to relive the early 2000s when Maggs, Valentin and Co. would score 10 runs in the first inning, only to watchthe likes of Jon Rouch or Danny Wright cough up the lead the very next frame??

14-12 games are fun to watch but very hard on the nerves.

1 minute ago, HoosierSox said:

Let  the Twins have him.

I am so negative right now that in my mind I am convinced whatever decision Hahn makes will turn to sh** somehow and that Madbum would win CY young with the Twins.   

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NotHahn said:

Alot of Hard Passing here today

Bum has a 3.90 ERA with 207+ innings and 1.9 BB/9.  Not Sandy Koufax but not doo-doo.  Ryu is OK as well for the right price.  Both are good additions if the $ and years are reasonable.  Doesn't seem like our FO is trying to be cheap...just prudent.

• Quin locked this topic