Sox in on MadBum

Sockin

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Bum has a 3.90 ERA with 207+ innings and 1.9 BB/9.  Not Sandy Koufax but not doo-doo.  Ryu is OK as well for the right price.  Both are good additions if the $ and years are reasonable.  Doesn't seem like our FO is trying to be cheap...just prudent.

It's his home-away splits. At least the last two years, he's great in SF and sucks everywhere else.

1 hour ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Watch Bumgarner sign with the Sox and become the next James Shields.

That's pretty much exactly what I expect if they sign him. If you're not going to get a SP via trade, go after one of the top two. If you're not willing to open the wallet for them, stand pat. Addition for the sake of addition sucks, and that's what throwing money at Bumgarner, Keuchel, or Ryu is. 

Madbum or Ryu, veteran lefty added to a young righty heavy rotation. I'd be good with either. Sox have a plethora of young pitchers, need a workhorse leader in the rotation. MadBum would maybe be rejuvenated in Chicago. The dude is a pure winner, even if the skill has regressed some.  That said, 100 MILLION? Dunno about that.

Edited by kwolf68

1 minute ago, wegner said:

This is the first time I can remember monitoring a free agent thread and hoping it does not work out.  The Sox desperately need SP but MadBum is not the answer, especially at the supposed price tag.

If we aren’t going to make the good gamble (strascole) the choice between a bad gamble and not even playing the game I guess you take the bad gamble.

18 minutes ago, Swingandalongonetoleft said:

That's pretty much exactly what I expect if they sign him. If you're not going to get a SP via trade, go after one of the top two. If you're not willing to open the wallet for them, stand pat. Addition for the sake of addition sucks, and that's what throwing money at Bumgarner, Keuchel, or Ryu is. 

With nothing of value to trade, spending money to spend money seems like a fair option.

• Quin locked this topic