Sox in on MadBum

Sockin

12 minutes ago, soxfan3530 said:

I guess I’m a little confused why everyone is firmly in the Ryu over MadBum camp. Is it a strictly the $? I know Bumgarner isn’t the same guy but he’s still a lot younger than Ryu, who can never stay healthy. 

I don't really like either, honestly. With Bum, he's a solid 3-4 starter who is going to get paid like a TOR guy. Ryu is really good when he's healthy, which has been two years out of the six he's been in the MLB. So, you're either paying for past production, or a lottery ticket.

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

Not sure why people are down on Madbum as a pitcher. My concern is how does his demeanor with a team that plays in the new era of baseball fun.

Look at his numbers.  And then look at his numbers again for Home/Away splits.  He get's fucking crushed when he isn't pitching in in that park.

4 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Wasnt that the case with Verlander when he left Detroit? 

Great pitchers dont go away at 30 years old. MadBum has more left and needs a change

Verlander is a unicorn, I wouldn't put MadBum in the same category as him.

Edited by Sleepy Harold

1 minute ago, 2Deep said:

Great pitchers dont go away at 30 years old. MadBum has more left and needs a change

Verlander went to the Astros - one of the most if not THE most advanced analytical teams in the MLB. Now compare that move to the Sox, from pitchers park to hitters park, and from NL to AL. 

16 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

If you choose a historic outlier to set your expectations, you’re going to be disappointed nearly every time. 

29 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Great pitchers actually quite often go away once they hit 30. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I mean, I guess I don't blame the Sox if they are out... but who else are you going to go after? He's riskier than Wheeler, but there's a good chance Bum has a lot left in the tank. 

Are they really gonna sign a Boras client? (Ryu)

Who else is there that could legitimately be a difference maker?

It would be awesome if the unexpected spurn by their target, Wheeler, made them say screw it and be determined to not be outbid for Cole. One thing I think I know is that a Boras client will always take the most money, even if he "prefers the west". 

2 minutes ago, South Sider said:

I mean, I guess I don't blame the Sox if they are out... but who else are you going to go after? He's riskier than Wheeler, but there's a good chance Bum has a lot left in the tank. 

Are they really gonna sign a Boras client? (Ryu)

Who else is there that could legitimately be a difference maker?

It would be awesome if the unexpected spurn by their target, Wheeler, made them say screw it and be determined to not be outbid for Cole. One thing I think I know is that a Boras client will always take the most money, even if he "prefers the west". 

Go the trade route IMO. Better off signing bats at this point. 

17 minutes ago, bmags said:

I actually did this exercise and it isn’t really true. Felix is as much of an outlier as Scherzer.

I do not think the Sox are in on Bumgarner, and for good reason. He’s a quality #3-4, but wants to be paid like a #2 for the next 4-5 years. We are better off looking into other options. 

16 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Unbelievable how many meatball fans on Twitter want to give Bumgarner a huge contract.

Sox Twitter is a dark place. Bumgarner would be fine at a realistic AAV ($15M or so), but it doesn’t sound like he’s going to anywhere near there. Would love to see the Twins overpay for him. 

Keuchel is the guy that worries me the most. Just really don’t want to give Keuchel $15M+ a year. Just don’t see that aging well. 

Will definitely be interesting to see where the Sox go from here. Would be super fun if this convinced them to pony up for the one of the big 2, but I’ll believe it when I see it. Tough day for us Sox fans, but it’s super encouraging to see the Sox put 5/$125M on the table even if they weren’t able to convert. 

18 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Unbelievable how many meatball fans on Twitter want to give Bumgarner a huge contract.

I understand some of those fans, not that I want them to spend huge on him but when your team hasn’t landed a big time free agent pitcher in the past and your gm says you are gonna be in the market for 2 pitchers with wheeler, odorizzi and Hamels off the board and the realistic chance of landing a cole or strasburg is a pipe dream. I think some people just want them to get somebody worth a damn

3 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

I understand some of those fans, not that I want them to spend huge on him but when your team hasn’t landed a big time free agent pitcher in the past and your gm says you are gonna be in the market for 2 pitchers with wheeler, odorizzi and Hamels off the board and the realistic chance of landing a cole or strasburg is a pipe dream. I think some people just want them to get somebody worth a damn

the part of our farm we didnt develop as much was the pitching. so you either have to pay for it or trade for it. the options are dwindling and Grandal means the window is now (to win)

• Quin locked this topic