Sox in on MadBum

Sockin

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox Twitter is a dark place. Bumgarner would be fine at a realistic AAV ($15M or so), but it doesn’t sound like he’s going to anywhere near there. Would love to see the Twins overpay for him. 

Keuchel is the guy that worries me the most. Just really don’t want to give Keuchel $15M+ a year. Just don’t see that aging well. 

Will definitely be interesting to see where the Sox go from here. Would be super fun if this convinced them to pony up for the one of the big 2, but I’ll believe it when I see it. Tough day for us Sox fans, but it’s super encouraging to see the Sox put 5/$125M on the table even if they weren’t able to convert. 

People still think Bumgarner is as good as he was at his peak. He’s not. And these are the same people who would complain when he’s getting lit up in the AL. Overpaying for him out of desperation is one of the worst things the Sox could do right now.

He's fine pitching in the NL West and specifically in SF.

In the AL, he's not the same pitcher...and he loses his ability to hit as well, which is another huge bonus.

For $100+ million, and knowing he's the centerpiece of the off-season and not the back-end starter (second pitching addition)....no way.

It will be interesting to see how the Sox pivot here.  Sounds like the Bumgarner market is moving quickly now and the Sox probably weren’t very involved while pursuing Wheeler.  They either need to hop on that wagon ASAP or talk to Boras about his lefties.  There really aren’t any other free agent alternatives.

I am not in on Bumgarner if I am the Sox.  Potential disaster of Shieldsian proportions in our park.  Frankly, I would rather trade for Sale or even Price.  Or get Nova types and count on Kopech and a return of Rodon, then take the money and spend it on a right fielder.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'm so sick of Steve Stone Boomer Posting whatever he hears from the FO.

All you have to do is look at his numbers, especially if you are a baseball guy like Stone, to see he is an awful fit.

I fucking love that wording. 

Mixed emotions having seen him pitch and win here in CA for a bunch of years. Shields is a great comparison — both good and bad in terms of how Madbum could turn out. He’s worth the risk and slight overpay perhaps but only for a few years. 

I'm sick of hearing that Bumgarner needs to stay in the NL where he can hit, and that that has added value. Pssshhhhhhh. 

2019 - .127/.236/.222 OPS+ of 24 

2018 - .159/.174/.205 OPS+ of 5

Come on.  I know the dude LIKES to hit, but let's not pretend it's worth anything, even to a NL team looking at him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I'm so sick of Steve Stone Boomer Posting whatever he hears from the FO.

All you have to do is look at his numbers, especially if you are a baseball guy like Stone, to see he is an awful fit.

Agreed.  He's almost as bad as Chuck Garfien.

14 minutes ago, R.J. said:

I'm sick of hearing that Bumgarner needs to stay in the NL where he can hit, and that that has added value. Pssshhhhhhh. 

Come on.  I know the dude LIKES to hit, but let's not pretend it's worth anything, even to a NL team looking at him. 

The thing is that pitchers are so bad at hitting that those numbers give him something around 0.5-1 WAR of value as a hitter. 

24 minutes ago, R.J. said:

Dumbass Harold Reynolds was suggesting on mlb network this morning that MadBum can DH if he goes to an AL team.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, nickofypres said:

Free agenting isn't gonna work for starters. Who could we realistically trade for?

Not alot. Colorado...Gray or German...Julio Urias (longshot) Kenta Maeda from Dodgers. Miami has some good young arms, may not have enough to get any. Is anything about taking on Sale realistic? 

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Because he's basically Mark Buehrle at this point in his career, and only Buehrle can do Buehrle things forever. Lots of HRs, hits, ground balls, very few ks, and sucks against good offenses. 

Last year was the only year he was homer prone.  And still managed a 60% ground ball rate. 

Sometimes you need to chalk things up to luck.  Keuchel's peripherals are still good.  He's never been a power pitcher.  Just a guy with good movement on his pitches that knows how to pitch.  

There's value in that.  

• Quin locked this topic