Sox in on MadBum

Sockin

8 hours ago, Timmy U said:

I am not in on Bumgarner if I am the Sox.  Potential disaster of Shieldsian proportions in our park.  Frankly, I would rather trade for Sale or even Price.  Or get Nova types and count on Kopech and a return of Rodon, then take the money and spend it on a right fielder.

The money has gotten out of hand for pitching.  Sale, Price, and Bum are all OK if money is in line with current level of ability.  We might be left praying Kopech, Dunning, Rodon and Cease develop and return in better shape than we have any right to expect.  Two Nova caliber guys on one or year contracts might be the prudent move.  Turn attention to the best right fielder and best bullpen guys.  Bottom line 100 million for Bum is just plain scary.  Ryu at 45-50 would probably merit heavy consideration at this point as well.

36 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The money has gotten out of hand for pitching.  Sale, Price, and Bum are all OK if money is in line with current level of ability.  We might be left praying Kopech, Dunning, Rodon and Cease develop and return in better shape than we have any right to expect.  Two Nova caliber guys on one or year contracts might be the prudent move.  Turn attention to the best right fielder and best bullpen guys.  Bottom line 100 million for Bum is just plain scary.  Ryu at 45-50 would probably merit heavy consideration at this point as well.

Ryu is going to get $54-60 million for three years at a minimum...likely to go as high as $75-80 million over four.

2 hours ago, bmags said:

October on soxtalk: "you can't send off your entire farm and ruin the rebuild for a player"

December on soxtalk: "take them. Take them all. Who can we get? Marco Gonzalez? Sure anyone. ANYONE"

How I've missed you. 

3 hours ago, bmags said:

October on soxtalk: "you can't send off your entire farm and ruin the rebuild for a player"

December on soxtalk: "take them. Take them all. Who can we get? Marco Gonzalez? Sure anyone. ANYONE"

Only a couple people are saying to trade for Marco. And the people saying trade prospects for pitching want guys who are longer term pieces other than, say Mookie Betts 😉

5 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Only a couple people are saying to trade for Marco. And the people saying trade prospects for pitching want guys who are longer term pieces other than, say Mookie Betts 😉

He would be excellent as the depth/backend piece/insurance.

But with numerous teams being left out of the pitching FA race due to exorbitant pricing...the M’s trade demands for him just escalated.

10 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Uh people were talking about Robbie Ray

Just now, soxfan2014 said:

Yeah they would need to shoot higher than Marco and Ray. And definitely not 1 year of Betts lol

At least Betts is one of the best players in baseball. Not my fault the Sox think spending 40 million on reclamation projects is a better use of funds.

3 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

That's only temporarily. 

I'd stay far away from Ryu and I think anyone that has to keep an eye on a budget will agree.  He seems like a perfect Yankee, Giant or Dodger signing or even the cub.

Actually, if it's a 3 year or less deal it may make sense for the Sox. There can be a rotating spot in the rotation for Ryu/Kopech/Rodon this year. See how Lopez does this year and rotate them next year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Ryu is going to get $54-60 million for three years at a minimum...likely to go as high as $75-80 million over four.

Four years for Ryu would be crazy town, he will be 33 years old in march and has an extensive injury history. I think Ryu gets three years because of how good he was in 2019, but fingers crossed he remains able to stay on the mound. 

3/60 ish is a reasonable ask in this market

Edited by steveno89

Signing Ryu and Pineda wouldn’t be bad...but no more than three years for Ryu.  

Pineda one plus an attainable option year at much more attractive salary.  That would be enough to stabilize the pitching staff and simultaneously take Pineda away from Minny.

Edited by caulfield12

I expect Hahn to find a suitable 2/3 type pitcher. It shouldn't be Madbum. It shouldn't be Ryu on a 4 year deal. Keuchel isn't a 2/3. 

That the FA market is out of options isn't our problem. If you know going in you can't go for the top two you need a reasonable plan if your top guy goes elsewhere and the others are flawed. And said reasonable plan cannot include dealing away key pieces or prospects in the rebuild. Figure it out. 

Get a three way trade done. Eat a bad 2 year deal from a team with good prospects and have them send them to a third team for a good pitcher. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, poppysox said:

I'm afraid you might be right.  The money has gotten stupid for pitching. 

Hamels got $18M.  Granted it's for one year, but that's a lot of money.  The Sox just offered $25M a year for Wheeler.  Bumgarner will end up getting $20M+ a year.  Ryu will get $20M+ a year.  Imagine how much it'll cost to keep Giolito in a few years.

15 minutes ago, skooch said:

I know it's still a few years away, but the price to extend Mr. Giolito just keeps on rising.

Sox would be wise to approach Giolito/Moncada/Robert about early extensions. Pitching is getting more and more expensive in free agency, and will likely only continue to do so. 

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Sox would be wise to approach Giolito/Moncada/Robert about early extensions. Pitching is getting more and more expensive in free agency, and will likely only continue to do so. 

Unfortunately, you need to have Gio/Moncada/Robert types of players extended before they get two years from free agency.  The sooner you do it the cheaper.  You can't let this type of player walk without getting excellent compensation.  This can't happen with only one year left to sell.

• Quin locked this topic