Sox in on MadBum

Sockin

Fans seem opposed to MadBum, Kuechel and Ryu. My question is what’s the alternative? Save Jerry 60-100 million and start Covey? Trade Madrigal or Robert for a better pitcher? I think the Sox are against a wall. I’d rather have MadBum than stand pat. AT LEAST MadBum has upside and brings national appeal and a proven name for casuals, something the Sox sorely lack. 

Edited by Orlando
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Fans seem opposed to MadBum, Kuechel and Ryu. My question is what’s the alternative? Save Jerry 60-100 million and start Covey? Trade Madrigal or Robert for a better pitcher? I think the Sox are against a wall. I’d rather have MadBum than stand pat. AT LEAST MadBum has upside and brings national appeal and a proven name for casuals, something the Sox sorely lack. 

Idk why people are so anti-Ryu

People would rather lose and stick with the garbage they have thrown out there because they feel like contracts are risky. Idc about Reinsdorf’s wallet. Ryu, Kuechel and MadBum are better then any 3-5 the Sox threw out there last year on their worst day

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

People would rather lose and stick with the garbage they have thrown out there because they feel like contracts are risky. Idc about Reinsdorf’s wallet. Ryu, Kuechel and MadBum are better then any 3-5 the Sox threw out there last year on their worst day

MadBum is a guy everyone can see turning into James Shields the second he signs here. Except the Sox would be paying him more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Orlando said:

It just doesn’t make sense. “He’s injury prone” ok, enjoy Covey and Despaigne

I mean, you could be enjoying them even if you sign Ryu.   That's the problem with him being injury prone

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Idk why people are so anti-Ryu

Yah, I love the people that say hard pass to Ryu, but were all for Wheeler.  They've both been in the league since 2013 - Ryu 740 IP; Wheeler 749 IP.  They've literally been hurt the same amount.  

Ryu has been a considerably better pitcher to date.  Sure, he's a bit older, and maybe a little less "upside", but he's also going to come at somewhere between 50-60% of the cost of Wheeler, which definitely makes up the difference, and then some.  

Ryu should be priority #1 at this point.  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

MadBum is a guy everyone can see turning into James Shields the second he signs here. Except the Sox would be paying him more.

He’s also a guy that can turn into vintage Madison Bumgarner. The upside is worth it. It will be praised nationally and locally. You have to take risks. The Sox don’t have a better option IMO. You aren’t going to get someone of value if you don’t trade Robert, Madrigal or Vaughn. This is the time to take risks. Or waste another year of peak Moncada and Giolito. Standing pat is not an option IMO. 

Edited by Orlando
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I mean, you could be enjoying them even if you sign Ryu.   That's the problem with him being injury prone

This is true but Ryu can also be 2019 Ryu. Covey sucks with no upside and was also injured last year opening the door to a host of bums

Edited by Orlando

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I love the people that say hard pass to Ryu, but were all for Wheeler.  They've both been in the league since 2013 - Ryu 740 IP; Wheeler 749 IP.  They've literally been hurt the same amount.  

Ryu has been a considerably better pitcher to date.  Sure, he's a bit older, and maybe a little less "upside", but he's also going to come at somewhere between 50-60% of the cost of Wheeler, which definitely makes up the difference, and then some.  

No doubt. We need to go after Ryu now. We should be less scared of an injury compared to other teams because we have Kopech and Rodon coming back.  He's actually a perfect fit for us.

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

No doubt. We need to go after Ryu now. We should be less scared of an injury compared to other teams because we have Kopech and Rodon coming back.  He's actually a perfect fit for us.

Ryu is a Boras client, so you know he's going to drag negotiations out and leverage his strong 2019 into a four year agreement for big dollars. 

Boras is smart and know this is a pitching starved market. Do not be surprised if the asking price for Ryu is 4/$110 million like spotrac suggests. 

That is a gigantic risk considering his injury history. 

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

This is true but Ryu can also be 2019 Ryu. Covey sucks with no upside and was also injured last year opening the door to a host of bums

I just don't see "hard pass on Ryu" as the same as "Despaigne and Covey will get those starts"

those guys (or pitchers of the same caliber) should be emergency players at the most, the Sox have to sign someone out of the current blob of tier 1-2 pitchers out there right now.

Just now, Greek-konerko said:

Hi guys. It's been a year almost since my last post.and after the wheeler swing and miss I thought I should write my thoughts. I m afraid Hahn either will overspend on a mediocre sp to calm down sox fans or trade a ton for a sp.idk just a gut feeling. 

Did you bring gyros for everyone 

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Do Sox fans realize the asking price for Ryu and Bum is currently exorbitant? 

Boras will get Ryu a 4/110 deal out of a pitching starved team, and given the injuries I'm not sure we should roll the dice on that.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Boras will get Ryu a 4/110 deal out of a pitching starved team, and given the injuries I'm not sure we should roll the dice on that.

no, if it's for that many years. He won't sign until March so the Sox have time to look elsewhere in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Ryu is a Boras client, so you know he's going to drag negotiations out and leverage his strong 2019 into a four year agreement for big dollars. 

Boras is smart and know this is a pitching starved market. Do not be surprised if the asking price for Ryu is 4/$110 million like spotrac suggests. 

That is a gigantic risk considering his injury history. 

There are a lot of warts on Ryu and Bum.

I'm curious why there aren't more people open to Kuechel? If he can be had on a 3 year deal I think he's a good fit. I know he's not an attractive pitcher in this era of baseball, but he has some attractive qualities as a fit for the Sox. His skillset generally ages well, and he's the exact type of pitcher Cooper has historically worked well with. The Sox have plenty of power arms, but they need someone who can provide them veteran leadership and take the ball. He has proven he can pitch in the AL in a hitters park and compete in a pennant race. If MLB eases up on the juiced ball he even becomes a bit of a bargain.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

that number is certainly possible but I have seen nothing at any number for ryu to date.

10 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

What team out there will be so desperate for pitching that they would give Ryu 4 for $110M?

• Quin locked this topic