Sox in on MadBum

Sockin

Just now, cjgalloway said:

This would be my ideal SP targets at this point.. SINCE we won't go after the big two.. and still this would make the offseason very disappointing.

I think the Sox have checked in with their old pal Scott, and the reason they're out on those guys is that neither have an interest in playing here. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I'll likely get a lot of shade for saying this, but if the Sox sign Bumgarner, I'll be rooting against the Sox one out of five days.

How about if we go to a 6 man rotation to keep you in the fold all but about 1 day a week?

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hard Pass on Keuchel/Ryu unless it's something like 2/30. (no chance with Boras) 

I'd be ok with signing either as long as it's a 1 or 2 year deal. 

Both Keuchel and Ryu are Boras clients, right? 

Boras gives 2 for 1 deals right?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Innings on his arm. He's been pitching 200 innings per year since he was 20, plus 3 full postseasons with a CG or two. Tons of gopher balls. 

Well, he threw 111 in 2017 and 129 in 2018.  And just how is being a workhorse taking the ball all the damn time and delivering very valuable innings pitched a negative here?  Remember how much younger Samardizja's arm was than his age?  This seems to be brought up all the time, but there seems to be very little evidence supporting it as any real factor in anything.  Bumgarner is a workhorse.  And he is one with a grea K/9 and BB/9.  He gave up HRs last year.  Ok.  Didn't everyone?  His HR/9 is .1 higher than Giolito's rate.  Yeah he pitches in a big park.  Didn't Wheeler too?  Maybe he pitches to the park.  This guy is one of the best pitchers of the last decade.  He isn't some replacement level chump.  He is 6 months older than Wheeler and a world more accomplished.  He is the much better pitcher.  Could Wheeler be better moving forward?  Sure.  But that would be a change in each of their trajectories.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

they could also fill a rotation spot with a qualified pitcher who isn't a huge asshole.

But ya, I see your point :)

Being an asshole is not a deal killer for me (see AJ) but giving up massive amounts of home runs is.  But all in all I would rather root for people I actually like so...Madison Bumgarner

22 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hard pass on Ryu. 

Ya, you've said that.  But your analysis makes no sense.  How can one be so against Ryu, and so for Wheeler.  They've both struggled to stay healthy, and while Wheeler is a little younger and may have more upside, he's undeniably been the lessor of the two pitchers over any period of time you wish to select.   

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ya, you've said that.  But your analysis makes no sense.  How can one be so against Ryu, and so for Wheeler.  They've both struggled to stay healthy, and while Wheeler is a little younger and may have more upside, he's undeniably been the lessor of the two pitchers over any period of time you wish to select.   

Ryu is more injured and misses more time. Wheeler took longer than most to recover from TJS, but the 3 seasons he was healthy he pitched 180+ innings. Ryu hadn't done that since his debut season in MLB until 2019. 

You can't count on Ryu for more than 15-20 starts. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

31 minutes ago, shipps said:

I can’t pretend to be excited about the possibilities of Madbum. We are dealing with an org that has been saving bucks and asking for patience because they will spend it on a mansion and now that they are in the market They are actually bidding on a renovated 4 bedroom bungalow. 

The offseason just started.  Let the next couple of weeks play out before we panic.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

Also, why is everyone so down on Dallas Keuchel? Is it the stupid beard?

Because he's basically Mark Buehrle at this point in his career, and only Buehrle can do Buehrle things forever. Lots of HRs, hits, ground balls, very few ks, and sucks against good offenses. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ryu is more injured and misses more time. Wheeler took longer than most to recover from TJS, but the 3 seasons he was healthy he pitched 180+ innings. Ryu hadn't done that since his debut season in MLB until 2019. 

You can't count on Ryu for more than 15-20 starts. 

That's all we need him for. Let him hold down the fort until Rodon returns. 

13 minutes ago, turnin' two said:

Well, he threw 111 in 2017 and 129 in 2018.  And just how is being a workhorse taking the ball all the damn time and delivering very valuable innings pitched a negative here?  Remember how much younger Samardizja's arm was than his age?  This seems to be brought up all the time, but there seems to be very little evidence supporting it as any real factor in anything.  Bumgarner is a workhorse.  And he is one with a grea K/9 and BB/9.  He gave up HRs last year.  Ok.  Didn't everyone?  His HR/9 is .1 higher than Giolito's rate.  Yeah he pitches in a big park.  Didn't Wheeler too?  Maybe he pitches to the park.  This guy is one of the best pitchers of the last decade.  He isn't some replacement level chump.  He is 6 months older than Wheeler and a world more accomplished.  He is the much better pitcher.  Could Wheeler be better moving forward?  Sure.  But that would be a change in each of their trajectories.  

Wheeler is so much better than Bumgarner and it’s not even close.  He also has like 1,000 less innings on his arm, elite stuff, and better fits our park.  And please check out his road splits if he think HRs aren’t a problem with Madison.

• Quin locked this topic