Cole to the Yankees: 9 years, $324 million.

ChiliIrishHammock24

12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I get the speculation, and I still really found that piece from Ken Rosenthal about the Sox being willing to spend at that level but not wanting to get in negotiations to fail at that level, but it seems so unlikely. I will say there are two legit smoke pieces between Rosenthal and Boras implication regarding his discussions with the Sox.

It would be batshit crazy if the Sox closed this out. I'm raising my percentage from 0% chance to a .0000000001% chance.

Speaking as a White Sox fan who clearly loves abuse and to be disappointed, maybe the Sox told Boras if their interest leaks they're out.

This has Philly written all over it

Just now, steveno89 said:

Been pounding the table that the Sox should dive in on Rendon all offseason. Legit top ten player in the game, should age well and can guide us to the promised land in the middle of our batting order. 

I think he'll cost less than Machado/Harper and the Sox were in on both guys there. The only money spent since then is Grandal and Eloy/Abreu extensions. Sox would just never want the media be aware of their interest even if it's just getting an understanding of what it's going to cost.

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I think he'll cost less than Machado/Harper and the Sox were in on both guys there. The only money spent since then is Grandal and Eloy/Abreu extensions. Sox would just never want the media be aware of their interest even if it's just getting an understanding of what it's going to cost.

Do you think Rendon can still play 2B?  Didn't he come up as a 2nd baseman originally.. And isn't Moncada a better defensive 3b?  Granted, if he signed idgaf how they figured out D.

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

We are in total agreement. If the Sox coveted Machado a year ago, why would they not be interested in Rendon, an arguably better player and leader? 

I'm not thrilled with what might be available in next offseason's free agency at this stage, short of Betts possibly. Rendon is available for the taking now, what player could we add that would help us contend more the next 5-7 years? 

If the Sox were going to be cavalier and take a risk, it would be a stealthy Rendon pursuit. 

Just now, cjgalloway said:

Do you think Rendon can still play 2B?  Didn't he come up as a 2nd baseman originally.. And isn't Moncada a better defensive 3b?  Granted, if he signed idgaf how they figured out D.

If you were Rendon, would you sign anywhere that did not make you the unquestioned 3b? Hell no.

1 minute ago, cjgalloway said:

I think you answered your own question. If Rendon wants to play 1B, DH, 2B, 3B, OF, etc. you cater to what he wants. Moncada has been open-minded to moving positions. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

We are in total agreement. If the Sox coveted Machado a year ago, why would they not be interested in Rendon, an arguably better player and leader? 

I'm not thrilled with what might be available in next offseason's free agency at this stage, short of Betts possibly. Rendon is available for the taking now, what player could we add that would help us contend more the next 5-7 years? 

If the Sox were going to be cavalier and take a risk, it would be a stealthy Rendon pursuit. 

Agree across the board.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Which is exactly why if the Sox were the mystery team for either, we'd have no idea. They clearly don't want to be tied to the big 3 this off-season, and Boras may be obliging given that the Sox aren't the team he needs to drive up bidding this year; he has the Yankees and Angels to do that publicly for him.

4 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

If you were Rendon, would you sign anywhere that did not make you the unquestioned 3b? Hell no.

If they offered 15 million more?  He wouldn't care... GRANTED my preference would be to move Moncada to RF while keeping 2B for gold glove Madrigal.  

Edited by cjgalloway

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Signing Rendon and throwing Yoan into RF would be my go to at this point.

Yah, certainly wasn't my go to move, but at this point it definitely feels like the most impactful move they can make.  Or Moncada back to 2B, trade Madrigal as centerpiece for cost controlled SP or RF.  

• Like 1

I think the Sox would have to blow the other offers away to get Rendon.  Not to say they couldn't. If JR was really about breaking even on the team, he can afford some seasons in the red. He only wants to play 5 more years or so. He's from Texas and there are no state taxes there and the Rangers are opening up a new park, so that would probably attract him. And the Dodgers are pretty much guaranteed to be in the playoffs every year. It would take a huge leap of faith to accept a similar offer to play for the White Sox. 

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, certainly wasn't my go to move, but at this point it definitely feels like the most impactful move they can make.  Or Moncada back to 2B, trade Madrigal as centerpiece for cost controlled SP or RF.  

I just don't like Yoan at 2nd. Guy went from the 17th best defensive 2nd baseman to the 5th best defensive 3rd baseman. Obviously there's a lot of noise in those statistics, but the eye test seemed to confirm he was much better and more comfortable there.

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I think the Sox would have to blow the other offers away to get Rendon.  Not to say they couldn't. If JR was really about breaking even on the team, he can afford some seasons in the red. He only wants to play 5 more years or so. He's from Texas and there are no state taxes there and the Rangers are opening up a new park, so that would probably attract him. And the Dodgers are pretty much guaranteed to be in the playoffs every year. It would take a huge leap of faith to accept a similar offer to play for the White Sox. 

I would think Rendon is a pretty cynical take the money guy. It's been said he doesn't really care about baseball, he just happens to be really really good at it. 

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Agreed, I know someone that’s friends with him from high school that swears he’s going to Rangers.

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I would think Rendon is a pretty cynical take the money guy. It's been said he doesn't really care about baseball, he just happens to be really really good at it. 

Yeah, I think a 5/200 would maybe get it done for Rendon. That's a hell of a commitment though. Obviously wouldn't be a bad deal though.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run