Cole to the Yankees: 9 years, $324 million.

ChiliIrishHammock24

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What? This was for an interview.

It wasnt sarcasm. The entire article makes the point pretty well.

https://theathletic.com/1308014/2019/10/24/anthony-rendon-vignettes-for-thursday/

I don't have the athletic but I saw an actual video clip of the interview. I thought he was obviously joking. 

Besides, who is going to turn down $30+ mil a year to play baseball?

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You saw a video clip?

Yeah I saw some sort of interview with Rendon and the reporter asked him where he sees himself playing at 35 and he smirked and said retired hopefully. The reporter didn't get that he was joking. Anthony is kind of a quite guy who doesn't like to do interviews so it was a little awkward. I'm trying to find the clip but can't find it.

Mabye he has discussed this before and I'm wrong. 

11 minutes ago, trickit said:

Whatever happened to our seat at the table for top end talent?

Hahn and crew were just happy to have a seat at the adult table last offseason.

Back to the kiddie table for Christmas dinner this offseason...

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Hahn and crew were just happy to have a seat at the adult table last offseason.

Back to the kiddie table for Christmas dinner this offseason...

You should just put this post in your signature - that way you won't need to repeat it in every thread. It will already be there.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Forget the money, would anyone actually want the Sox to offer Cole a >8 year deal?

I, like many others, don't give a shit about Reinsdorf's money, but I do think that duration would be pure insanity and I'd prefer they stay away from the big boy table if that's the kind of ludicrous gambling they're up to. It's unbelievable that this is where the market has taken us.

Edited by ScottyDo

11 minutes ago, ScottyDo said:

Forget the money, would anyone actually want the Sox to offer Cole a >8 year deal?

I, like many others, don't give a shit about Reinsdorf's money, but I do think that duration would be pure insanity and I'd prefer they stay away from the big boy table if that's the kind of ludicrous gambling they're up to. It's unbelievable that this is where the market has taken us.

Yes. It's unlikely he'd even be on the sox in the back half.

This board in particular has this belief that so many contracts are unmovable. Check out what's happening with Price now.

If you need to move a bad contract you can. If you need to move a bad contract that is also one of your most valuable players that you need a good return for - then you aren't in great shape.

The most immovable contracts right now are mostly position players. Cabrera, pujols.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, ScottyDo said:

Then be prepared to sit at the kids table every October 

16 minutes ago, RTC said:

Then be prepared to sit at the kids table every October 

image.png

🤷‍♂️

Don't see a lot of perennial contenders on that list

This does kind of speak to bmags' point, though, in that only position players have ever gotten 8 year deals (aside from Kenta Maeda who signed for $25M total plus whatever posting fee, doesn't really fit the bill) and they've largely looked ugly

Edited by ScottyDo

14 minutes ago, ScottyDo said:

image.png

🤷‍♂️

This does kind of speak to bmags' point, though, in that only position players have ever gotten 8 year deals (aside from Kenta Maeda who signed for $25M total plus whatever posting fee, doesn't really fit the bill) and they've largely looked ugly

You’re looking at it backwards.  No one is saying signing a player to a big contract is a guarantee.  But what percentage of the teams that even make it to the LCS do so without taking at least one big gamble?

22 minutes ago, ScottyDo said:

🤷‍♂️

The Yankees, the Dodgers, the Cubs, The Rockies, the Giants, the Braves, the Red Sox? The Phillies and Rangers on that list also have had a good number of playoff appearances even though they had a few down years. Literally it's the Mets, Reds, and Padres on that list who have guys currently signed to big deals without playoff runs to show for them. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Yankees, the Dodgers, the Cubs, The Rockies, the Giants, the Braves, the Red Sox? The Phillies and Rangers on that list also have had a good number of playoff appearances even though they had a few down years. Literally it's the Mets, Reds, and Padres on that list who have guys currently signed to big deals without playoff runs to show for them. 

I framed my point incorrectly. I guess what I mean to say is, the hit rate on impact contracts there is way lower than you'd hope. Teams that made pushes arguably because of the above signings: BOS, SF, NYY, ATL, ?LAA?, ??TEX?? 

Out of 14 teams that gave out 8 year contracts.

EDIT: Admittedly, the jury is still out on some of them. Still, pretty dismal results if you ask me.

Edited by ScottyDo

8 minutes ago, ScottyDo said:

I framed my point incorrectly. I guess what I mean to say is, the hit rate on impact contracts there is way lower than you'd hope. Teams that made pushes arguably because of the above signings: BOS, SF, NYY, ATL, ?LAA?, ??TEX?? 

Out of 14 teams that gave out 8 year contracts.

EDIT: Admittedly, the jury is still out on some of them. Still, pretty dismal results if you ask me.

Also I just noticed that there are no pitchers on your list.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Also I just noticed that there are no pitchers on your list.

I literally just sorted contract by length and grabbed the first screen to make a quick point. The only pitcher to sign for 8 years is Maeda, and I would put his contract in a different category entirely. If I weren't selecting arbitrarily, I would probably admit to cherry picking.

But it does bring up the point that nobody in history has felt comfortable giving a pitcher 8 years and blockbuster bucks at the same time.