Cole to the Yankees: 9 years, $324 million.

ChiliIrishHammock24

5 hours ago, SonofaRoache said:

Unfortunately, we will need to get past them in the playoffs. 

No offense to you, but this is a bad argument.

The 2005 Astros had Oswalt, Pettitte, and Clemens. We swept them. The Yankees that year had an INSANE lineup that was stacked with studs from top to bottom and we didn’t even play them in the playoffs.

Baseball is a team game. Gerrit Cole doesn’t suddenly turned the Yankees into some unbeatable behemoth. If we make a few final moves to get an SP and an RP, and Robert, Madrigal, Kopech, and Cease meet even a portion of their potential, then we can contend to win the ALC every year for the first part of the new decade. And if we do that, anything can happen in the playoffs.

After all, no other fans are out there saying, “Man, I hope Luis Robert doesn’t go on to hit 40 homeruns perennially while Michael Kopech becomes a true #1, we’ll never get past them in the playoffs!”

27 minutes ago, The Sir said:

The 2005 Astros had Oswalt, Pettitte, and Clemens. We swept them. The Yankees that year had an INSANE lineup that was stacked with studs from top to bottom and we didn’t even play them in the playoffs.

Baseball is a team game. Gerrit Cole doesn’t suddenly turned the Yankees into some unbeatable behemoth. If we make a few final moves to get an SP and an RP, and Robert, Madrigal, Kopech, and Cease meet even a portion of their potential, then we can contend to win the ALC every year for the first part of the new decade. And if we do that, anything can happen in the playoffs.

After all, no other fans are out there saying, “Man, I hope Luis Robert doesn’t go on to hit 40 homeruns perennially while Michael Kopech becomes a true #1, we’ll never get past them in the playoffs!”

8 of the top 10 paid pitchers of all time have pitched in the last 4 WS. In the era of bullpens and openers, starting pitching still reigns supreme. Homeruns and pitching get you pretty far these days.

cole is going to have to shave.

Edited by Dick Allen

16 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

8 of the top 10 paid pitchers of all time have pitched in the last 4 WS. In the era of bullpens and openers, starting pitching still reigns supreme. Homeruns and pitching get you pretty far these days.

cole is going to have to shave.

Yeah and I think this year vindicated strong and elite starting pitching even more. i think teams were struggling to keep bullpen players fresh and didn't have enough. BEing able to throw a SP deep into must win showed up.

7 hours ago, The Sir said:

You are correct, but my point still stands. We will have a tough road ahead. 

1 hour ago, SonofaRoache said:

You are correct, but my point still stands. We will have a tough road ahead. 

Sure, but winning a playoff series is always a tough road. As much as I'd like to win the World Series every year for the next decade, I know that's unrealistic. I'll settle for something much more feasible, but which we have never done before: going to the playoffs multiple years in a row. And I think the team we are building is going to be capable of that.

On 12/10/2019 at 1:40 PM, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

From a “value” perspective, I’d take Rendon at 8/$260M over Machado at 10/$300M. Let’s see if Rendon beats that number.

Harper was always overhyped. Very good player but what has he done to deserve a contract near $400M?

Yea, I’m taking Rendon at 7/245 all day over Machado at 10/300.

8 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Posters were arguing Machado was under market value at 10/300. Rendon’s contract disproved that theory...

Not exactly.  Machado (26) was 3 years younger than Rendon (29) when he signed his deal.

Machado got 10 years.  Rendon got 7 years.

Not too difficult to understand.  Both will be around 36 years old when their contracts expire.

Rendon would’ve received more money overall than Machado had he been 26 years old when he hit free agency like Machado.  He probably gets $350 over 10 years, considering his AAV ended up being $35 million (7/$245).

Age matters...  a lot.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

7 hours ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Not exactly.  Machado (26) was 3 years younger than Rendon (29) when he signed his deal.

Machado got 10 years.  Rendon got 7 years.

Not too difficult to understand.  Both will be around 36 years old when their contracts expire.

Rendon would’ve received more money overall than Machado had he been 26 years old when he hit free agency like Machado.  He probably gets $350 over 10 years, considering his AAV ended up being $35 million (7/$245).

Age matters...  a lot.

Considering Rendon is the better player of the two and doesn’t carry the same character red flags that Machado does, he SHOULD get 10/350 if he were three years younger. It doesn’t change the fact that 10/300 was fair market value for Machado and not some kind of under market great value deal as others were stating. And despite being two years older, I’m willing to bet that Rendon is the more productive player of the two over the next 7 years.

On 12/10/2019 at 10:05 PM, ScottyDo said:

Forget the money, would anyone actually want the Sox to offer Cole a >8 year deal?

I, like many others, don't give a shit about Reinsdorf's money, but I do think that duration would be pure insanity and I'd prefer they stay away from the big boy table if that's the kind of ludicrous gambling they're up to. It's unbelievable that this is where the market has taken us.

Cole will face the same future as Price & Sale.  It will be just wonderful for 3 or 4 years then the bottom falls out.  I also don't care about Jerry's money but pissing it away won't make the club better.

• Haha 1