Cole to the Yankees: 9 years, $324 million.

ChiliIrishHammock24

1. The thread title wasn't created by SoxTalk mods, or FutureSox staff. It was poorly written yes, and then fixed by Mods - so they did exactly what they should do. How is that a reason to bash FutureSox?

2. FutureSox rarely "breaks" news outside of little stuff specific to the minors, and only goes beyond that when information is confirmed and very high confidence. The track record is there for all to see. This was not FutureSox, it was someone who (among other things in his life) also is with FutureSox.

3. Mike Rankin has better connections in baseball than about 99% of the people here. So if he's getting information, it may not end up being true (even Rosenthal is wrong sometimes), but if forced to bet, I'm a buyer. He's never been one to just throw stuff out there for funsies. He has a source. Time will tell if it's correct.

4. FutureSox did not report on Wheeler going to the Sox by Thanksgiving. I have no idea where that is coming from.

5. Glass houses, Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

1. The thread title wasn't created by SoxTalk mods, or FutureSox staff. It was poorly written yes, and then fixed by Mods - so they did exactly what they should do. How is that a reason to bash FutureSox?

2. FutureSox rarely "breaks" news outside of little stuff specific to the minors, and only goes beyond that when information is confirmed and very high confidence. The track record is there for all to see. This was not FutureSox, it was someone who (among other things in his life) also is with FutureSox.

3. Mike Rankin has better connections in baseball than about 99% of the people here. So if he's getting information, it may not end up being true (even Rosenthal is wrong sometimes), but if forced to bet, I'm a buyer. He's never been one to just throw stuff out there for funsies. He has a source. Time will tell if it's correct.

4. FutureSox did not report on Wheeler going to the Sox by Thanksgiving. I have no idea where that is coming from.

5. Glass houses, Steve.

1. It was out there for over 12 hours
  2. Agreed, but the thread title was misleading
  3. He has sub-1,000 followers
  4. no idea here either
  5. word

27 minutes ago, NorthSideSox72 said:

5. Glass houses, Steve.

4. A guy who I was told writes for Future Sox did indeed tweet that Wheeler will sign with the Sox by Thanksgiving. He was DMd for clarity and confirmed that it was based on a source and not a feeling. 

No need to bash Future Sox but the writers should not tweet out this type of info and not expect backlash when it’s wrong. It’s the name of the game. That’s why people break stuff on Twitter. They get praise when it’s correct but when it’s wrong they open themselves to criticism.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/houston-astros-rumored-to-be-nearing-deal-with-edwin-encarnacion-113016

I was looking everywhere for this because I was sure someone from Future Sox made a claim like this before and I found it. Nothing against Rabbit, I love when he posts here but this is further proof not to do that.

Edited by Orlando

Steve's right here. Just last night we heard that cole met with NYY management and it went well. Now Rankin is saying that Cole is to LAA and no other media is picking up on this, with no other sources?

This is as good as a random twitter post and should be completely disregarded. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Soxbadger said:

FAKE NEWS.

He ran a story about Derrick Rose returning from injury.

Damn he already beat me to this correction, but still FAKE NEWS. 

Haha pardon me, it was almost a decade ago? I think Steve was certain Lebron to Bulls was a done deal and swore by it to everyone on the forum. And he ran an article calling Rose’s return against maybe the nuggets? And he never returned that season. That also feels like a long ass time ago.

59 minutes ago, Orlando said:

4. A guy who I was told writes for Future Sox did indeed tweet that Wheeler will sign with the Sox by Thanksgiving. He was DMd for clarity and confirmed that it was based on a source and not a feeling. 

No need to bash Future Sox but the writers should not tweet out this type of info and not expect backlash when it’s wrong. It’s the name of the game. That’s why people break stuff on Twitter. They get praise when it’s correct but when it’s wrong they open themselves to criticism.

https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/houston-astros-rumored-to-be-nearing-deal-with-edwin-encarnacion-113016

I was looking everywhere for this because I was sure someone from Future Sox made a claim like this before and I found it. Nothing against Rabbit, I love when he posts here but this is further proof not to do that.

Brian made some connections, and was close with Dave from Barstool, and they did indeed trot out insider stuff at times. Sometimes they were right and got it first, sometimes they were wrong. That is, as you say, the name of the game. Feel free to point it out. I think I just always saw FutureSox as a collection of independent voices - none of us did it for a living, and had our own voices and lives outside of it. So they are separate to me, unless FS published the info in some way.

48 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Steve's right here. Just last night we heard that cole met with NYY management and it went well. Now Rankin is saying that Cole is to LAA and no other media is picking up on this, with no other sources?

This is as good as a random twitter post and should be completely disregarded. 

You can disregard it. Or not. Whatever. Just be aware that, regardless of how many Twitter followers he has, Mike not only has connections made through FutureSox, he also works professionally in baseball. They guy has much deeper connections than the great majority of "random" twitter posters. Doesn't mean he will necessarily be right of course.

Just now, NorthSideSox72 said:

Brian made some connections, and was close with Dave from Barstool, and they did indeed trot out insider stuff at times. Sometimes they were right and got it first, sometimes they were wrong. That is, as you say, the name of the game. Feel free to point it out. I think I just always saw FutureSox as a collection of independent voices - none of us did it for a living, and had our own voices and lives outside of it. So they are separate to me, unless FS published the info in some way.

You can disregard it. Or not. Whatever. Just be aware that, regardless of how many Twitter followers he has, Mike not only has connections made through FutureSox, he also works professionally in baseball. They guy has much deeper connections than the great majority of "random" twitter posters. Doesn't mean he will necessarily be right of course.

I'd say it's safe to say the report is wrong if it doesn't wrap up by the winter meetings. For huge contracts like this, there are a lot of details and things that do need to be worked out - typically, if you've agreed in principle something gets reported but, this time of year, it's possible the Club wants to announce and formalize at the Winter Meetings. If Tuesday comes and goes with no news though, then it was wrong. Regardless, I don't think the guy just made up his report for fun. Problem is, the only sources that truly matter with something this big are Baseball Pres, Owner, GM and the player/agent.

Lol I had no idea that putting "per FutureSox" and then directly citing the actual source would cause so much hysteria. My thoughts were that putting "Per Mike Rankin" would mean nothing to anyone, considering he doesn't have much a following on Twitter.

The worst backlash I am willing to accept is anyone who wants to claim "clickbait" because I knew "per FutureSox" would give it more credibility and make more sense to people than "Per Mike Rankin" in the thread title, even though he was tweeting from his personal account and it FutureSox. Apologies to those at FS who may be annoyed with the irrational hate they have had to read here for no real reason.

Just now, NorthSideSox72 said:

5. Glass houses, Steve.

If Future Sox cannot tell us the future why are they called Future Sox? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

45 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Lol I had no idea that putting "per FutureSox" and then directly citing the actual source would cause so much hysteria. My thoughts were that putting "Per Mike Rankin" would mean nothing to anyone, considering he doesn't have much a following on Twitter.

The worst backlash I am willing to accept is anyone who wants to claim "clickbait" because I knew "per FutureSox" would give it more credibility and make more sense to people than "Per Mike Rankin" in the thread title, even though he was tweeting from his personal account and it FutureSox. Apologies to those at FS who may be annoyed with the irrational hate they have had to read here for no real reason.

If Cole signed with the Angels today, futuresox would have had huge traffic all winter long. So considering he has futuresox editor in chief in his description, it is more than fair to link the two. If they are going to take all the glory if it is correct, they should also b prepared for some backlash if it is wrong. It is rare, but careers are made out of breaking a big story. David Kaplan was an out of a job assistant basketball coach, who Coppock used to let him on occasionally to talk about DePaul or the Illini. Then Kaplan had a scoop that Freider was leaving Michigan for AZ State. He called Coppock, Coppock told him if he was wrong he was done, but he went on when Coppock was talking with Doug Collins, then coaching the Bulls. Broke the story, Collins who at one time wa N AZ State assistant called BS, but the next day it happened, and love him or hate him (he is supposed to be a great guy), Kap has become a media star.

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, poppysox said:

These guys getting 9 figures can afford to leave a few million on the table for preferences such as hometown and weather.   The other normal guys follow the money.  The whole super star thing is hard to compute for average joes.  What is troubling to me is guys like Wheeler are not super stars but getting that kind of money.  One or two of these big deals going South and you are sunk for the next decade.  Heavy duty gambling.

But this is not new. Panda in Boston, Ellsbury in New York, Barry Zito in SF, and Ryan Howard in Philly to name a few.  Many teams just move on to the next target especially the big spenders. 

16 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

But this is not new. Panda in Boston, Ellsbury in New York, Barry Zito in SF, and Ryan Howard in Philly to name a few.  Many teams just move on to the next target especially the big spenders. 

And yet all of those teams were in the playoffs during the terrible parts of those contracts and half of them won titles during them.

34 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

And yet all of those teams were in the playoffs during the terrible parts of those contracts and half of them won titles during them.

Exactly. Bad gambles are just part of their roster structure. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Cole Thread: To the Yankees?