Tsutsugo - UPDATE: To Rays

Princess Dye

1 hour ago, soxfan2014 said:

I just can't see the Red Sox dealing Benintendi (at low value) when they are trying to cut payroll and trying/likely to move JDM and Betts.

I think the BoSox would rather keep Mookie than Price and Eovaldi.

I think they really want to lose those contracts, both of them if possible.

No team is going to sign up for either Price or Eovaldi unless the BoSox agree to eat a huge chunk of those contracts and/or they include Benintendi.

The other thing I mentioned earlier is that the Carmines need a catcher we we can deal from a position of strength there.

Or perhaps a straight trade  - McCann+ Fulmer or something... for Benintendi

13 minutes ago, tray said:

I think the BoSox would rather keep Mookie than Price and Eovaldi.

I think they really want to lose those contracts, both of them if possible.

No team is going to sign up for either Price or Eovaldi unless the BoSox agree to eat a huge chunk of those contracts and/or they include Benintendi.

The other thing I mentioned earlier is that the Carmines need a catcher we we can deal from a position of strength there.

Or perhaps a straight trade  - McCann+ Fulmer or something... for Benintendi

McCann + Fulmer for Benintendi? Lol. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eminor3rd said:

And what is that reason?

There is one, I’m just wondering if you know it. 

Why NBP players never pan out? I would assume because the media overhypes guys that play in a league that's slightly tougher than the CanAm League (exaggeration)

Outside of Ichiro and Matsui, this league produce bust after bust

5 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Why NBP players never pan out? I would assume because the media overhypes guys that play in a league that's slightly tougher than the CanAm League (exaggeration)

Assume you're just talking position players.

Ohtani seems pretty amazing even just as a position player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

When we're talking about the big stars there's been a couple reasons for failures, and a lack of leaving. I also think people greatly underestimate the incredible cultural change and shock that Japanese players experience when they come state-side; it's much more dramatic than any other players experience.

Obviously the posting system has changed, which has had an effect as it's not as beneficial for teams to lose their stars to the MLB.

Also, someone like Kaz Matsui just couldn't hit a high velocity fastball. If you haven't seen it consistently, and you can't hit it consistently, you just won't succeed in MLB. The league in general breeds better off-speed hitters too, which obviously impacts their transition.

Would love to hear your thoughts as well.

You're 100% correct on all of that. The only thing I would add is that there is IMMENSE cultural pressure against talented HS kids signing with MLB teams as prospects, both socially on the kid, and from the NPB on the MLB.

And the fastball thing is the biggest worry. These guys are talented enough to do it -- if they were able to develop in an environment that included it. But it takes 9 years for the players to get international free agency rights, which obviously often puts them around or over 30. Can be tough to learn new tricks at that age.

54 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

Aoki had a very productive career... not a star, but a meaningful contributor on playoff teams.  

Obviously Iguchi had his run, too. 

Fukudome never seemed comfortable with the Cubs... a lot of its about cultural fit, so usually Seattle or the West Coast works best. 

51 minutes ago, ChiSoxJon said:

No -- but mostly I was wondering at the connection you implied with players not working out and "there's a reason they don't come over sooner."

But yeah, other than Ichiro and Mastui -- and Fukudome, and Darvish, and Ohtani, and Nomo, and Uehara, and Okajima, and Aoki, and Saito, and Johjima, and Iwamura, and Iwakuma -- it's pretty much bust after bust.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bschmaranz said:

Do people still think Fulmer has any value at all?  McCann's got limited value as well.  

Ridiculous notion indeed.

I mean, McCann definitely has value.  There are a number of teams that need Catching trying to compete and there is not a lot left.

57 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I mean, McCann definitely has value.  There are a number of teams that need Catching trying to compete and there is not a lot left.

Still limited though.  It's not like we're going to get a major piece of the puzzle for him.  

McCann is better than what Boston has at catcher. That is a factor that impacts his value to that team. 

I like the glass half full glass half empty treatment for Benintendi though.   You know, he's  not that good but hey, you're never going to gt him unless you fork up much more than an Allstar catcher and a prospect. 

Same thing goes for Collins. He's not worth a thing until a trade is suggested with him involved and then it's like oh we would rather trade McCann. because maybe  Collins will develop into another Carlton Fisk .

18 minutes ago, tray said:

McCann is better than what Boston has at catcher. That is a factor that impacts his value to that team. 

I like the glass half full glass half empty treatment for Benintendi though.   You know, he's  not that good but hey, you're never going to gt him unless you fork up much more than an Allstar catcher and a prospect. 

Same thing goes for Collins. He's not worth a thing until a trade is suggested with him involved and then it's like oh we would rather trade McCann. because maybe  Collins will develop into another Carlton Fisk .

This is not true. Vasquez is a much better fielder/framer than McCann. He also had a very nice breakout year offensively.

Vasquez is "much  better" than McCann?   That's arguable.  Anyway, if you read some BoSox sites you will see that acquiring a catcher is on Chaim's to-do list.   It is a perceived  need they wish to address this off-season. . That's the point.

Framing might soon become overrated as umpires start making their own adjustments to catchers trying to buy strikes. They have to or they will be replaced by video cameras.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tray said:

Vasquez is "much  better" than McCann?   That's arguable.  Anyway, if you read some BoSox sites you will see that acquiring a catcher is on Chaim's to-do list.   It is a perceived  need they wish to address this off-season. . That's the point.

Framing might soon become overrated as umpires start making their own adjustments to catchers trying to buy strikes. They have to or they will be replaced by video cameras.

They are looking for aback-up catcher. Vazquez played 130 games this year. I would assume they also want a LH since they dumped Leon who was LH.