Tsutsugo - UPDATE: To Rays

Princess Dye

Yoshitomo Tsutsugo, whose posting window closes two weeks from today, is drawing interest from a group that includes the #WhiteSox, #BlueJays, #Tigers and #Twins, sources say. He has averaged about 35 HR per season over the last 4 years with Yokohama (NPB).
Edited by Princess Dye
misspell

Clips from Athletic article:

Tsutsugo is a slugger with iffy defense, but he’s also not Hideki Matsui.

Tsutsugo is younger, and therefore more attractive, but he’s coming over through the posting system, which requires that a posting fee worth 15-20 percent of the total deal goes to his current team, the Yokohama DeNA BayStars, as a result. That means the signing team has to like Tsutsugo more, even, than the final number on their deal with the player — they have to send more cash to the team once the deal is signed.

This comes with an above-average walk rate and around league-average contact ability, with the footnote that Tsutsugo’s strikeout rate was a career-worst last year. Without much defensive value, we’ll have to limit this to corner outfielders and first basemen, but we have a secret weapon: A source in a front office looked at his exit velocity numbers and said they were comparable to the balls in play off Nick Castellanos’ bat last year, and Castellanos has long had an isolated slugging percentage over .200.

Will Tsutsugo’s power translate? Will his patience? How will his power interact with this new league, his new park and the new ball? What would Brandon Belt do in a different park, coincidentally? Would Tsutsugo play every day or fill a role like the one Ji-Man Choi has in Tampa?

The park thing is interesting — Tsutsugo’s home park is considered one of the best hitter’s parks in Japan. But as a lefty fly-ball hitter with okay contact skills, good patience, and around this sort of power, especially one that hit the ball hard in Japan, he seems like a decent comp to Belt and Choi.

Again we’ve got a player who can help, but not one who will end up moving the needle for a big-budget contender, and one who might sign for two and 10 (plus?) himself. He could be looking in some of the same places as Akiyama, but with more of an emphasis on being able to help at first or designated hitter.

https://theathletic.com/1392167/2019/11/21/how-good-can-yoshitomo-tsutsugo-and-shogo-akiyama-be-and-where-might-they-sign/

Edited by Princess Dye

3 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:
Yoshitomo Tsutsugo, whose posting window closes two weeks from today, is drawing interest from a group that includes the #WhiteSox, #BlueJays, #Tigers and #Twins, sources say. He has averaged about 35 HR per season over the last 4 years with Yokohama (NPB).

Interesting that 3 of the 4 teams are from the American league central. 

5 minutes ago, Princess Dye said:

That’s a nice player who makes a lot of contact (translated strikeout rate under 13 percent) and gets on base (above-average translated walk rate), but doesn’t have a ton of power. Perhaps the power will play up a little because of how the ball is flying, but it doesn’t look like he’ll come with above-average power. Most reports say he’s no longer a center fielder due to decline in his glove but he could be an asset defensively on the corners.

Adam Eaton was mentioned as a comparable player by former big leaguer and current NPB right-hander Mike Bolsinger, and Patrick Newman, who runs NPBTracker, put forth Nick Markakis as a good offensive comparable when I asked.

https://theathletic.com/1392167/2019/11/21/how-good-can-yoshitomo-tsutsugo-and-shogo-akiyama-be-and-where-might-they-sign/

This isn't about Tsutsugo, this is about Shogo Akiyama. Tsutsugo is a prototypical home runs, walks, and strikeouts guy. 

16 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hmmm this guys isn't really an option in the OF everyday, so I guess if the Sox are serious about this guy, Collins is likely on his way out.

Anyone have a ballpark estimate of what he'd cost?

I have a hard time imagining it'd be for much more than ML minimum. 

2 minutes ago, mqr said:

I have a hard time imagining it'd be for much more than ML minimum. 

I mean, at that price, what's the harm?

The FutureSox article posted a few weeks ago about this cat suggested 2-4 year commitment at $8-10M AAV.  

If this guy could play some D, I'd be significantly more interested.  I suppose if he's dirt cheap, it can't hurt to add him to the mix. But at $8-10M AAV, he's just going to make this roster even more inflexible.  

Edited by ChiSox59

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, at that price, what's the harm?

The FutureSox article posted a few weeks ago about this cat suggested 2-4 year commitment at $8-10M AAV.  

If this guy could play some D, I'd be significantly more interested.  I suppose if he's dirt cheap, it can't hurt to add him to the mix. But at $8-10M AAV, he's just going to make this roster even more inflexible.  

Yeah he’s getting much more than league minimum, and he comes with posting fee also

10 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean, at that price, what the harm

If this guy could play some D, I'd be significantly more interested.  I suppose if he'd dirt cheap, it can't hurt. But at $8-10M AAV, he's just going to make this roster even more inflexible.  

Well you could sign this guy as a DH and than sign Castellanos or Ozuna for RF. This guy would probably be a better and cheaper/younger option than say Edwin Encarnacion. Than just package Collins with some other players for a starting pitcher. The Sox have to take some risks. 

Edited by maloney.adam
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

Well you could sign this guy as a DH and than sign Castellanos or Ozuna for RF. This guy would probably be a better and cheaper/younger option than say Edwin Encarnacion. Than just package Collins with some other players for a starting pitcher. The Sox have to take some risks. 

No they don't have to take some risks. They are sitting on a ton of youngtalent that is just starting to get their feet wet.  If you mean take some risks to make the playoffs next year that's even worse. This guy isn't much of a option but he should be cheap .

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No they don't have to take some risks. They are sitting on a ton of youngtalent that is just starting to get their feet wet.  If you mean take some risks to make the playoffs next year that's even worse. This guy isn't much of a option but he should be cheap .

They are going to waste years of Moncada etc if they don’t start taking risks. They can’t field a playoff team internally. Now or never

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I beg to differ, they need to start adding players to the core now that will help them win championships. They already have a young core to build around so if there goal is the playoffs and beyond than they need to add quality pieces to the core already in place. That doesn’t mean trading away there young core but players that will bring back the most in a trade. 

Edited by maloney.adam

17 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

I am so excited to watch our young, developing pitching staff get absolutely destroyed by the worst OF defense in the league in this scenario.  Sounds like so much fun - where do I sign up? 

• Love 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Tsutsugo - Sox Potentially Interested