caulfield12

Caleb Smith...Marlins

Jon Gray/Freeland/Hoffman...Rockies

Robbie Ray...DBacks

Matthew Boyd...Tigers

Marco Gonzales...Mariners

Tijuan Walker...DBacks

Jimmy Nelson...Brewers

Corey Kluber...Indians (highly unlikely)

Chris Archer...Pirates

Jeff Samardzija...Giants (highly unlikely)

Price/Eovaldi/Sale...Red Sox (highly unlikely)

Debate/discuss.  Who can the White Sox afford to acquire in terms of talent surrendered?  For which prospects/suspects?  Who is worth trading for and then attempting to extend in this new FA universe of exploding contracts?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Caleb Smith...Marlins

Robbie Ray...DBacks

Matthew Boyd...Tigers

Tijuan Walker...DBacks

Jimmy Nelson...Brewers

Chris Archer...Pirates

Debate/discuss.  Who can the White Sox afford to acquire in terms of talent surrendered?  For which prospects/suspects?  Who is worth trading for and then attempting to extend in this new FA universe of exploding contracts?

FYI...Walker is a free agent.

I worry we go out and use of few trade assets for Gonzalez.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Caleb Smith...Marlins

Robbie Ray...DBacks

Matthew Boyd...Tigers

Tijuan Walker...DBacks

Jimmy Nelson...Brewers

Chris Archer...Pirates

Nelson is a FA as well.

Okay, I see where he was just non-tendered.

Gonzales is find for the back-end guy...but that’s actually where there a number of “free” options like Wacha, A.Wood (injury risk), Roark, Miley, Porcello, Gio, Teheran (lost stuff), Rich Hill (just had surgery and will miss first half), B.Anderson, Cahill, Smyly, Lyles and Buchholz.

Yes, yet another list.

But what else can be done?  That’s basically all there is to work with...

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

You could make an accurate list

Only if they change the Cole headline, lol...I suppose next I need to travel 5,000 miles to the Winter Meetings and do some investigative reporting to make sure these names are all actually available and not merely speculative.  

Btw, Marquez would be great...but I didn’t put him down because I assumed the cost for him, Thor or deGrom would be prohibitive.  
Maybe Stroman if the Mets fall out of it again and new ownership wants to start paring payroll.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

Caleb Smith...Marlins

Robbie Ray...DBacks

Matthew Boyd...Tigers

Tijuan Walker...DBacks

Jimmy Nelson...Brewers

Chris Archer...Pirates

I wouldn’t trade prospects for any of these guys. We might as well bring back Nova. 

At this stage of the rebuild (we've yet to come close a winning season), I don't feel comfortable making any trade unless it's swapping a borderline prospect (Jake Peter) for a vet

I think a lot of this club's answers have been (Collins, Vaughn, Madrigal, Moncada, Anderson, Eloy, Robert, Kopech, Gio, Cease, Bummer, Fry) and are (RF- Micker, Rutherford, Gonzalez, Walker, Basabe...SP- Dunning, Lambert...RP- Johnson, Burdi) within  the system...That's how we stay young, cheap, and competitive long term

If this team is competing around the Trade Deadline with the long term vision of this team confirmed, I'd feel more comfortable making a deal

But for now we should utilize FA...Roark? Miley?...Keep your assets

Edited by ChiSoxJon

Kenta Maeda requested to be traded if the Dodgers were going to keep him in the bullpen. Dodgers told him to deal with it. 

he’d be expensive to trade for, considering he’s really good, was posted, and is under contract through 2022. 

but worth a phone call to LA I’d think. 

Edited by Charlie Haeger's Knuckles
Mobile typos

Guys I'd consider as long as the price wasn't too prohibitive. None of these guys fit the mold of TOR, and only have a few have the capability. 

Jon Gray

Sandy Alcantara (GB, back of rotation guy) - maybe something like trading Reynaldo to Marlins for Alcantara + another guy from Marlins? Just think Alcantara might fit the Sox park mold better w/ groundball profile, plus more control for a few years. basically swapping a 4/5 for a 4/5.

Kluber - he's my favorite target, but obviuosly interdivision probably wont happen unless Lindor is also on the move. I think Kluber has the chance to be Verlander'esque - meaning he can keep his career going through his upper 30's. Kluber really never had a falloff, just a freak injury. I'd want to target him in FA afer this year too.

Nelson - free, just money

Eovaldi - if they can chip in something else. Or take those 3 years at the cost and grab something else. 

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Julio Urias - tho he would cost way more than I'd want to pay

Quality starting pitching is too expensive for the Sox to be trading for at this stage. It would be a different story if we were one quality starter away from being able to make a deep playoff run, but we just are not there yet. 

We have created this financial flexibility and should leverage it to improve the roster in any way possible. 

Teams will certainly ask for our top young assets like Madrigal, Cease, Kopech, and Vaughn, which we should not be trading.