Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

4 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Kinda scary. Could see Robert and Madrigal being off the table. Maybe a package built around Vaughn for a SP with 3+ years of control? Who fits the bill?

With Price the issue would be salary relief not requiring Vaughn type value.  I do think a deal for Price has potential.  He's still good...just not 31million per year good.  Now if the deal is Price and Betts like some suggest then Vaughn might be going.  It would take something wild to entice RH off of Vaughn IMO.

7 minutes ago, poppysox said:

With Price the issue would be salary relief not requiring Vaughn type value.  I do think a deal for Price has potential.  He's still good...just not 31million per year good.  Now if the deal is Price and Betts like some suggest then Vaughn might be going.  It would take something wild to entice RH off of Vaughn IMO.

I actually just don’t think that latter trade is at all likely. That is around $60 mill of salary with control issues on one and talent another. That would greatly reduce talent back.

10 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Trading Vaughn for Price and Betts would be idiotic. Betts is not getting acquired. He's a rental player and he's going to test FA.

3 hours ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Trade 6+ years of Madrigal for 2 years of Syndergaard? Gross.

Thor was 10-8 with era of 4.30 in the NL.  Good but not unworldly.  Did start 31 games which I like.  I would like him OK but wouldn't consider Madrigal or Vaughn in the return package.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I actually just don’t think that latter trade is at all likely. That is around $60 mill of salary with control issues on one and talent another. That would greatly reduce talent back.

Agreed.  Just saying that some form of salary relief for Price & Betts might justify a Vaughn type return.  Depends how much money comes with them.  

5 hours ago, GGajewski18 said:
My Winter Meetings prediction: #WhiteSox put together a trade package for a coveted starting pitcher.

Not able to speak to any specific targets but the quality of players the Sox have on the table speaks to the potential return

Oh fuck, been on the road and just saw this.  These guys aren’t fucking around it appears.  I just hope if they’re going after a big starter this was always part of the plan and not a reaction to missing out on Wheeler.

19 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Agreed.  Just saying that some form of salary relief for Price & Betts might justify a Vaughn type return.  Depends how much money comes with them.  

So...Betts leaves after 1 year. We then are stuck with an overpriced Price (with some salary relief), but have given up Vaughn to boot? No thanks.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Oh fuck, been on the road and just saw this.  These guys aren’t fucking around it appears.  I just hope if they’re going after a big starter this was always part of the plan and not a reaction to missing out on Wheeler.

I've been saying this all week since we missed Wheeler. It's felt eery and weird that I didn't feel like anyone around here agreed with me that they need to do this. Just don't trade Madigral please.

4 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I've been saying this all week since we missed Wheeler. It's felt eery and weird that I didn't feel like anyone around here agreed with me that they need to do this. Just don't trade Madigral please.

If they’re not going after Cole or Strausburg then Ryu and a trade is the way to go. 
I truly believe they are offering up Madrigal for Thor/DeGrom/Sale which means moving Moncada back to 2B opening up a spot at 3B for a certain Scott Boras client...

At least that’s how I’d play it and then turn around and offer up Collins, Stiever, Rutherford for Marte. 
Reindsorf can pull this off if he nuts up but as a few are saying the White Sox are going to the winter meetings to get work done 

4 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I mean, I doubt that would be enough to convince the Rays to move him.  But they're also an org that may have some interest in some of our spare parts.  Would Vaughn, Dunning, Collins and Basabe offer get you laughed at? 

Yes.  It would have to start with Vaughn and either Cease or Kopech.  And would probably require a decent third piece too like Collins.  If you’re making such a trade, you better go out and sign Ryu as well.  A 1-2-3 of Snell, Giolito, & Ryu would be sick as fuck with Lopez and a cheap veteran holding down the 4 & 5 spots until Kopech is ready (if Cease is the one dealt).  They’d really be going all in on a four year window though.

23 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

If you are trading a top notch prospect or multiple ones, Rick better hope that whoever they are acquiring will put them over the top.....admittedly a little nervous and trading a few of these could make or break this rebuild

It is such a Sox move to give assets up for a player rather than signing one. I don't trust the Sox in this process.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Imo madrigal, robert and vaughn should be off the table unless we are talking a reasonably salary controlled under 28 year old ace like sale was.

I could see a package around guys like walker, sheets or even collins for a mid tier starter with two plus years of control.

Maybe they could get matt boyd plus a bullpen guy for walker, sheets and a third piece.

Boyd had a 4.5 era last year but he is just 28 and had a very strong 30% k rate and 24% k-bb, he just had an extreme homer issue based on an 18% hr/fb rate. Fangraphs projects him for 3 war next season and he is under control for two more years.

1 minute ago, Cashman said:

No, based on precedence. The Sox would rather trade for a player with a year or 2 left on  their contract rather than signing them to a longish term deal.

They tried to sign Wheeler and failed. They apparently don't want to spend on Cole or Strasburg. So bash them for that if you like. But otherwise, what else do you want them to do? There's major risks with all the rest of the available free agent SP's. Most of the rest look like bad contracts waiting to happen.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Cashman said:

No, based on precedence. The Sox would rather trade for a player with a year or 2 left on  their contract rather than signing them to a longish term deal.

They have precedence on both sides to give cause for pessimism or optimism — your choice for where to side.

Im in the middle until they make moves.

1 hour ago, Sarava said:

So...Betts leaves after 1 year. We then are stuck with an overpriced Price (with some salary relief), but have given up Vaughn to boot? No thanks.

It could be Fuller instead of Vaughn.  You can't fill in the prospect until we would see the financial aspects of the deal.  I am not recommending we trade Vaughn.  I have posted my opposition to trading for Betts and his one year of control.  Somehow if Boston wants to get rid of their high priced pitcher and Betts their are ways to make it happen.  For the record...I'm against trading any of our top tier prospects but I acknowledge their are deals that could change my mind I guess.