Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

Hahn’s history is buying asymmetric players. He typically buys guys who have exceeded their average, and sells players likely to have a positive tail.

He’d be the guy trading with Bill Belichick in the NFL. No confidence in him whatsoever trading for an established pitcher.

• Like 2

They haven't made a good trade for a starting pitcher since before the Kenny Williams era. A few have been pure disasters.
They seem hell- bent on repeating the things that don't work, and not repeating the things that do.
Just a couple of #4s would really help this staff.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

They haven't made a good trade for a starting pitcher since before the Kenny Williams era. A few have been pure disasters.
They seem hell- bent on repeating the things that don't work, and not repeating the things that do.

Contreras and Sweaty Freddy weren’t good trades?

7 minutes ago, Sarava said:

They tried to sign Wheeler and failed. They apparently don't want to spend on Cole or Strasburg. So bash them for that if you like. But otherwise, what else do you want them to do? There's major risks with all the rest of the available free agent SP's. Most of the rest look like bad contracts waiting to happen.

I am not getting bent out of shape over Wheeler. The market is, what the market it, you either elect to participate or your don't. They really do not have a choice, if their goal is to compete soon.

2 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Absurdly inaccurate.

1 minute ago, NCsoxfan said:

You’re proving his point, it’s been forever! 

He said no good trades for starting pitching have been made since before kw

Edited by hi8is
I’ll quit talking because we both are saying the same things 😆
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NCsoxfan said:

Hahn’s history is buying asymmetric players. He typically buys guys who have exceeded their average, and sells players likely to have a positive tail.

He’d be the guy trading with Bill Belichick in the NFL. No confidence in him whatsoever trading for an established pitcher.

Hahns won more than hes lost in the trade market, imo.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Absurdly inaccurate.

Name them.  Edit:  Contreras was an excellent trade.
Vazquez*, Danks, Peavy, Wells and Garcia were nothingballs.  Ritchie and Jackson were bad.  Liriano was a terrible trade.  Samardjzija and Shields damaged the organization.  I'm sure I've forgotten some.
*Could be moved to the "Bad" category.

Edited by GreenSox

12 minutes ago, poppysox said:

It could be Fuller instead of Vaughn.  You can't fill in the prospect until we would see the financial aspects of the deal.  I am not recommending we trade Vaughn.  I have posted my opposition to trading for Betts and his one year of control.  Somehow if Boston wants to get rid of their high priced pitcher and Betts their are ways to make it happen.  For the record...I'm against trading any of our top tier prospects but I acknowledge their are deals that could change my mind I guess.

Hmm, we're different in a few ways. I am willing to trade Vaughn for the right deal. But Betts sure as hell ain't it. Because there's no chance he re-signs here. So I'm not giving up a monster prospect for a one year rental. That would be horrible asset management.

If the Sox move Vaughn, it should be for a SP with at least 3 years of control.

20 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Contreras and Sweaty Freddy weren’t good trades?

Contreras - yes, you are correct on that. If forgot about that one.  Excellent.   Note however that it did not involve prospects.

Freddy was a rent.  Sox did nothing in 2004; arguably it belongs in the bad category, because while Reed turned out to be a dud, he was a top 15 prospect and there was an opportunity cost to dumping him for a rent, versus someone who could have been useful going forward.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Are you suggesting acquiring Blake Snell is repeating “things that don’t work”?

Ken Rosenthal on MLB network said something interesting. Mentioned that the White Sox would be a good call for Gerrit Cole...IF they were in this alone. Said if Cole told them “pay me 280,000,000 and I’ll sign”, they will but with the Yankees and Dodgers bidding, they won’t join. Dang

5 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Are you suggesting acquiring Blake Snell is repeating “things that don’t work”?

At what price?  They would give 1 of  Vaughn, Madrigal, Kopech or Robert plus 5 second tier prospects.  Yea, I think it would be a negative.   It's a premium price for good starting pitching.

Use FAs.

I remember another good one.  Gavin Floyd
But I will note that the 2 good ones did not involve the Sox trading away prospects.

Edited by GreenSox

F.Garcia wasn't a rental because they knew he would sign an extension through the Ozzie family connection.

McCarthy for Danks...Hudson for Edwin Jackson, those were two of the better internally-produced guys they traded in the last decade.  The poster child for terri-bad deals with Todd Ritchie acquired for Wells/Fogg/Lowe and then not having a 5th starter in 2003 when they really needed one to back up Loaiza.

Acquiring Gavin Floyd was a success.  But that's been well over a decade ago.

Trading Hector Santiago worked out extremely well.  Thornton for Borchard worked out extremely well.   And the Damaso Marte acquisition seemed like a huge overpay at the time but worked.

They were always more successful going through the bargain bin to get guys like Jenks, Politte, Humber, Sergio Santos, Crain, etc.

If you look at Hahn's moves, other than Santiago/Eaton....they were nothing burgers, like Addison Reed for Davidson...where few if any of the returns had a significant long-term impact on the franchise.

Shark and Frazier turned out poorly...especially Samardzija.  Just that move and Shields surrendered two MVP candidates...but the last MVP candidate we acquired other than Jose Abreu in 2014 was Carlos Quentin in 2008.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Ken Rosenthal on MLB network said something interesting. Mentioned that the White Sox would be a good call for Gerrit Cole...IF they were in this alone. Said if Cole told them “pay me 280,000,000 and I’ll sign”, they will but with the Yankees and Dodgers bidding, they won’t join. Dang

Yeah I saw that. I don't blame the Sox for not getting involved in this, assuming they aren't. This isn't a battle they would win.

14 minutes ago, Orlando said:

lol the day Reinsdorf okays $280 mil for a pitcher is the day hell freezes over.

25 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Come on man, maybe if you’re counting all the dinky trades that would be true, but his misses have been significant and without question is at a loss in aggregate.

The dinky trades? I think getting Gio, reylo, dunning, Eloy, cease, Kopech and moncada out of three players is pretty good.

Lost tatis and lost Samardzija. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 1