Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

7 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

It is not immediately clear which above average starting pitcher(s) may be available via trade either, but you never know for various reasons. 

Agreed. Unless we can get one of the Rockies pitchers (Gray, Marquez) I’m not sure who that pitcher is. I doubt the Rays trade Snell.

Not really interested in Ray or the Red Sox guys. 

30 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why is 2nd base easy to fill?

Outside of catcher, 2nd base has consistently had the fewest 3+ WAR players in baseball over the past decade. 

That means to me, that if Madrigal is a 3+ WAR player for the next 7 years he's an incredibly valuable piece.

Because it's a relatively easier defensive position to shift to, so more infield candidates can fill it. And the price for 2b signings the last several years has been low years and pretty low AAV, and if it was difficult to fill you'd expect a player like Lemahieu last year to earn quite a bit more than 2/24.

Just now, bmags said:

Because it's a relatively easier defensive position to shift to, so more infield candidates can fill it. And the price for 2b signings the last several years has been low years and pretty low AAV, and if it was difficult to fill you'd expect a player like Lemahieu last year to earn quite a bit more than 2/24.

The signings and price has been low because those players are bad.

Schoop?

Dozier?

Kinsler?

These guys are finished. I don't think you can argue that 2nd base is easy to fill when baseball in general struggles to fill the position with above average MLB players. I agree that it's a position you can switch a player into, but in general the position is weaker than SS, 3rd base and the OF in regards of quality big league talent.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The signings and price has been low because those players are bad.

Schoop?

Dozier?

Kinsler?

These guys are finished. I don't think you can argue that 2nd base is easy to fill when baseball in general struggles to fill the position with above average MLB players. I agree that it's a position you can switch a player into, but in general the position is weaker than SS, 3rd base and the OF in regards of quality big league talent.

The (under)valuation on Villar could be looked at as more evidence as well...because 90% of quality SS’s can be easily moved over.

And the ability of guys like Moustakas and Muncy to play over there is showing how teams are getting pretty creative in order to have a legit offensive threat at nearly every position on the field, other than maybe catcher.

10 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The (under)valuation on Villar could be looked at as more evidence as well...because 90% of quality SS’s can be easily moved over.

And the ability of guys like Moustakas and Muncy to play over there is showing how teams are getting pretty creative in order to have a legit offensive threat at nearly every position on the field, other than maybe catcher.

Villar is a SS and utility guy, and he was claimed so I'm not sure it's safe to say that because the Orioles are cheap as fuck and want to spend no money that Villar is undervalued by baseball. Villar also isn't exactly a beacon of consistency; he has 5 sub 2 WAR season and 2 3+ WAR seasons. Steamer projects him to be a 1.8 WAR player which isn't something people are writing home about.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Sox do not have time to play games with free agent pitchers. If Cole signs soon, all those teams that miss out will pivot to the Kuechel and Ryus of the world. Make a splash now or settle for a trade

Agreed. I feel likes it’s getting more and more likely the Sox will not end up with any big name out of FA for SP.

Just now, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Snell isn’t as good as Sale was when the Sox traded him. So trading both Madrigal and Vaughn for him would be awful.

I implied as much. kopech and moncada were both more highly regarded at the time of the trade than either madrigal or vaughan.