Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd be shocked. 

This is the Rays best window to compete in the last decade. They have the pieces to do it too. 

If the Rays can't hang onto a pitcher like Snell at his cost (after signing him to a great extension) while trying to compete then they should just contract that team. At some point, the Rays need to try and actually win it all with all these assets they've accumulated. 

Frankly, making tough decisions like that has worked out extremely well for that franchise thus far, and they consistently are able to bring in talent to replace the ones they trade away.

16 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why people think Snell would net less than Sale.

Snell has more control than Sale had, and while Sale had been better more consistently, and he's nearly as good in terms of ceiling and level of performance.

Snell would cost a boat load; it would cost a Vaughn/Madrigal/Stiever type package.

Moncada was the #1 prospect in baseball and Kopech was the #2 arm prospect.

Sale had a far better track record.. Take out Snell's cy young year and he's been.... "meh"

Just now, Hatchetman said:

Why would anyone want Rodon? That makes no sense.

No one can figure out any other surprise big trade that the white sox can pull off with without it sounding like an incredibly stupid move, since all of their trade value is concentrated in only 3 or 4 assets. 

• Like 2

Just now, Balta1701 said:

No one can figure out any other surprise big trade that the white sox can pull off with without it sounding like an incredibly stupid move, since all of their trade value is concentrated in only 3 or 4 assets. 

Jon Gray for Lopez/Fry/Sheets checks out through https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Not sayign that is actually what it would take, but from rough valuations it is what you'd be looking at. 

Snell would be much more expensive to trade for potentially. 

Frankly, making tough decisions like that has worked out extremely well for that franchise thus far, and they consistently are able to bring in talent to replace the ones they trade away.

How has it worked out well?

How many titles do the Rays have?

It's funny to read what Rays fans think of the way the team operates and what White Sox fans think. I always find it humorous how envious Sox fans are of the way the Rays do business. 

I posted this earlier today, but the Rays just traded Pham to get another MIF prospect; they already have 3 elite ones. This is where someone could counter and say, yeah but they can trade these assets to go all-in when the time comes. Well, the time has come - the Red Sox stink, and the rest of the division besides the Yankees is blah. What did the Rays do? Accumulated more prospects and didn't help the MLB roster. The Rays never go for it; ever. At some point, you need to trade your assets to try and win. Say what you want about Beane, but he maintains a competitive window while constantly trading for all-in pieces (Ces, Lester etc etc) even if it hasn't worked out for him.

The Rays are really smart, but they're maddening to follow. They never actually take the final step for contending, and they continue to stockpile pieces without ever trading them for elite MLB talent. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Jon Gray for Lopez/Fry/Sheets checks out through https://www.baseballtradevalues.com/trade-simulator/

Not sayign that is actually what it would take, but from rough valuations it is what you'd be looking at. 

Is that an "Impact trade? I mean, maybe? Congratulations you've traded your 2 fWAR pitcher with 4 years of control for a 3 fWAR pitcher with 2 years of control, and now you still need the same number of additional pitchers? 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

That's an interesting proposal.. I just hate that Gray would only have 2 years left.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

How has it worked out well?

How many titles do the Rays have?

It's funny to read what Rays fans think of the way the team operates and what White Sox fans think. I always find it humorous how envious Sox fans are of the way the Rays do business. 

How many playoff appearances do they have in the last decade? 

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

How many playoff appearances do they have in the last decade? 

Last year was their first trip since 2013. Which is my point; the Rays have very small windows given their division and the talent within it. The Rays have so many assets that they could literally trade 5 of them to get star MLB talents and still have a deep and talented farm. This is what the Rays should be doing; it's not though.

This year they have a real chance to be GREAT, but they traded away a very good MLB outfielder to get another prospect. It's maddening, and it is certainly not a commitment to winning it all and Sox fans are envious of them while ridiculing the organization for not giving Stras 250 million.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Is that an "Impact trade? I mean, maybe? Congratulations you've traded your 2 fWAR pitcher with 4 years of control for a 3 fWAR pitcher with 2 years of control, and now you still need the same number of additional pitchers? 

Exactly.  Pass.  

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Last year was their first trip since 2013. Which is my point; the Rays have very small windows given their division and the talent within it. 

This year they have a real chance to be GREAT, but they traded away a very good MLB outfielder to get another prospect. It's maddening, and it is certainly not a commitment to winning it all.

Serious question: would you prefer the Rays model or the Marlins model?

• Thanks 1

I'd prefer Oakland's model to the Rays model.

I don't really think the Marlins have a model, so impossible to evaluate at this point.

Regardless, it is 100% embarrassing for the Rays to not be pushing their chips in for next year. 

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

The Rays are in the AL East, that cannot be discounted. The sox live a charmed life in this division yet cannot seem to take advantage.

Yeah, I said that. 

Which makes the Ray's not going for it this year even worse. There arent many years where only 1 other team in the division is trying to win.

18 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd prefer Oakland's model to the Rays model.

I don't really think the Marlins have a model, so impossible to evaluate at this point.

Regardless, it is 100% embarrassing for the Rays to not be pushing their chips in for next year. 

The A’s last had arguably the best team in baseball the final two months of 2014.

They also come up a player or two short every year.  But it’s more of the KW 2002-2012 Riverboat Gambler/fix at the ASB style of team.

But that Cespedes signing out of nowhere is something the Rays just never do...allocating that much FA risk over one player.  

Maybe they could have afforded to do it before Honeywell got hurt on the position player side, but signing Rendon in his early 30’s to a 7-8 year deal and bringing him to a new league could also be a franchise killer...not to mention there’s no such thing as putting yourself over the top in the AL East.

Edited by caulfield12

3 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

No, just speculation from people around here after raBBit said we could trade for a coveted starting pitcher.  I don't think the Rays are trading Snell.

I have tried to come up with a potential quality SP trade target who makes sense and I am struggling to do so. Unless someone is surprisingly available, outside of Gray/Price, there is not much clarity. Gallen does not qualify as established by any means. 

Thor is available, but with two seasons of control I do not think he fits the mold of what we would be looking for, and would be costly to trade for. 

22 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The 1987-93 Marlins with Huizenga and DD and the best farm system in baseball...of course, that eventual runs up you into a financial brick wall like Red Sox, Cubs, Giants or Tigers right now.