Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Robbie ray in the AL scares me. 

Anyone who has watched robbie pitch more than a couple times knows how maddening he is. Never gets through 6, high pitch count and always nibbling with the fastball. 

yes he would be maddening.  Rarely gets to the 6th inning.  High walk rate.s

Price/Benintendi - like this one.  Price can be an ok 3-4 moving ahead and Benintendi is an upgrade (and cheap for now).  Wonder how much $$ we get back too

- Thor/Nimmo - price gonna be waaaaaaay too high

- Marte/Musgrove (Archer) - like this one as well as Marte may be the best overall OF on this list.....much rather have Musgrove here

- Gray/Blackmon - Gray would be a gas can and BLackmon splits away from Coors are mediocre for the $$

- Haniger/Gonzales - eh

I would say the Red Sox and Pirates deals are the most intriguing and realistic......fingers crossed 

5 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Price/Benintendi - like this one.  Price can be an ok 3-4 moving ahead and Benintendi is an upgrade (and cheap for now).  Wonder how much $$ we get back too

- Thor/Nimmo - price gonna be waaaaaaay too high

- Marte/Musgrove (Archer) - like this one as well as Marte may be the best overall OF on this list.....much rather have Musgrove here

- Gray/Blackmon - Gray would be a gas can and BLackmon splits away from Coors are mediocre for the $$

- Haniger/Gonzales - eh

I would say the Red Sox and Pirates deals are the most intriguing and realistic......fingers crossed 

Marte/Musgrove isn't a salary dump, we'd have to actually give back good prospects for that.  Chris Archer is a non-starter for me.

Also the Mets aren't trading Noah.

1 hour ago, cjgalloway said:

Ray/Peralta.

Please.  Would like be the cheapest of the options prospect-wise - besides maybe Beni/Price due to Price's contract - as both Ray and Peralta are only controlled through 2020.  Dbacks aren't just going to hand over Ray, though. 

1 hour ago, shakes said:

Happ/Frazier

I just shuddered at thinking about Clint Frazier ever touching the OF on a regular basis. Happ is also probably terrible until they unjuice the ball. That being said, the Yankees would probably give them up for next to nothing for financial flexibility to sign Cole.

Conceptually, this idea of taking on another team's burdensome contract, in order to fill both the SP and RF holes, is very intriguing. With the cost of acquiring free agent pitchers having gotten out of hand, why not attempt to exploit the fact that a few teams need to dump some salary? The Sox are in the enviable position of having lots of payroll flexibility, and lack the Minor League depth, to use as trade bait. It seems like a logical strategy. If signing a free agent pitcher is almost certainly going to require committing to more years, than can reasonably be expected to be sufficiently productive, why not at least limit the number of years of potentially sunk cost.

For example, David Price may not be worth much in the 3RD and final year of his existing contract, but at least it might only be one year. By contrast, some of these 5 and 7 year deals may end up being sunk costs, for more than a year, or two. Moreover, any pitcher on a long term, expensive contract, is a huge risk, considering how fragile pitchers are, especially in this era. Given the inherent risk, the fewer years, the lower the risk.

There is a principle worth remembering, from the investment world i.e.; "Motivated sellers, usually have a greater sense of urgency than motivated buyers". A buyer has the luxury of being able to patiently wait for an attractive opportunity. By contrast, an owner, who is "stuck" with an undesirable asset, is usually in a much more desperate circumstance, especially when other pressing financial needs are factored into the equation. Think Mr. Bloom, in Boston.

Edited by Lillian
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I am okay with this at this point.  I don't want to pay Bum or Keuchel.  And I don't want to trade our young top prospects.  I am okay taking on a bad contract and signing Walker or someone else.  Ideally we'd be after Ryu though

Edited by cjgalloway