Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

15 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

The FA pitching market next winter looks pretty bad.  Punting on adding pitching this offseason really isn't an option.

Ours might grow into things but we still absolutely, without any question, need innings help this year. Our rotation to start the year is Giolito opening day, Cease, Lopez, and ??? followed by ?????

Kopech and Rodon can take some innings once we're a couple months in, and they might be major pieces in 2021, but like it or not there's like 200+ innings in our rotation that right now are going to Covey.

16 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Ours might grow into things but we still absolutely, without any question, need innings help this year. Our rotation to start the year is Giolito opening day, Cease, Lopez, and ??? followed by ?????

Kopech and Rodon can take some innings once we're a couple months in, and they might be major pieces in 2021, but like it or not there's like 200+ innings in our rotation that right now are going to Covey.

There are tons of backend starters available in free agency, there is no rush. 

Asking prices are all high now, and will come down as we get further into the winter. Patience, the Sox appear to be stealthily hunting. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Asking prices are all high now, and will come down as we get further into the winter. Patience, the Sox appear to be stealthily hunting. 

Are we really certain of this?

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Are we really certain of this?

Some of the best bargains of FA the past few years have come later in the off-season. 

I think it's a smart play, but a risky one to be sure.

This market is moving differently though, so it's possible this year doesn't play out like the past couple.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Some of the best bargains of FA the past few years have come later in the off-season. 

I think it's a smart play, but a risky one to be sure.

This market is moving differently though, so it's possible this year doesn't play out like the past couple.

yeah the latter is my worry. There's lots of garbage like Covey as always (bring shields out of retirement!), but there's a nonzero chance that even guys like Nova start getting sucked up here in a couple weeks. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

yeah the latter is my worry. There's lots of garbage like Covey as always (bring shields out of retirement!), but there's a nonzero chance that even guys like Nova start getting sucked up here in a couple weeks. 

Dick Williams Jr., Reds GM was on MLB Network yesterday. He thinks once the top guys go , the market is going to come to a screeching halt. 

Just now, Dick Allen said:

Dick Williams Jr., Reds GM was on MLB Network yesterday. He thinks once the top guys go , the market is going to come to a screeching halt. 

Yep back to the drawing boards for teams once either Angels or Yankees miss out and get back in line 

33 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

What a sad state of affairs...this team hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade, we have glaring holes in our rotation, have been told over and over and over that the money will be spent, yet fans are ok with waiting for the market to settle before zeroing in on backend starters. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Once Cole is gone and you have the Angels, Twins, White Sox, and others all sitting there needing pitching, I'd be surprised if the next tier (Bumgarner, Ryu) don't move quickly. 

The last guys on the list I don't  know, but there are still going to be teams that miss out and need pitching.

Honestly, if I were in this spot, I might go out and sightly overspend on a Nova-quality pitcher sometime in the next week or so just to ensure I have a warm body to cover some innings, and then worry about better options later. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, gdane said:

What a sad state of affairs...this team hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade, we have glaring holes in our rotation, have been told over and over and over that the money will be spent, yet fans are ok with waiting for the market to settle before zeroing in on backend starters. 

didnt we try and give money to machado and wheeler?