Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

So you think he goes up and not down? Certainly possible as he was still 12% better than league average and a 21 year old, but k'rates north of 30 can scare off anyone. Hell, moncada fell in some rankings solely because of his bat to ball skills and he struck out a lot but his batted ball numbers were absurd.

I don't know and honestly I don't care.  I put little to no value in any prospect ranking list.  The Marlins bought low on him because that was most likely the only time he would ever be available.  It was a bold move and I hope it works out for them.  

1 minute ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

I don't know and honestly I don't care.  I put little to no value in any prospect ranking list.  The Marlins bought low on him because that was most likely the only time he would ever be available.  It was a bold move and I hope it works out for them.  

I think the Marlins sold high on Gallen more than they bought low on Jazz but that's just semantics anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, DirtySox said:

Speaking of prospects who might be traded, surprised no-one has mentioned Dalquist or Thompson. Recent draftees that wouldn't headline a deal, but could add some heft to package.

Also I will be bummed if Dalquist is moved. I think he could be a monster in time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

As of the last FG's prospect update:

Madrigal - 25th

Jazz - 28th

At the start of the year:

Madrigal - 32nd

Jazz - 31st

Not a huge change, and their FV's are the same so they are classified the same, but Madrigal jumped him with this past season according to them.

Robert at #18 on fangraphs list is criminal after the 2019 season he had

• Like 2

Just now, steveno89 said:

Robert at #18 on fangraphs list is criminal after the 2019 season he had

Their entire basis is because of one player that they overvalued before and looked wrong on - Brinson. It's a stupid way to evaluate a player, but if that's what they want to base their rankings on then so be it. 

Fangraphs was also higher on Moncada than Law who had him pushed down in the 20th range. At the end of the day, Robert I think is valued much higher (league wide) then that rankings but who knows.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Their entire basis is because of one player that they overvalued before and looked wrong on - Brinson. It's a stupid way to evaluate a player, but if that's what they want to base their rankings on then so be it. 

Fangraphs was also higher on Moncada than Law who had him pushed down in the 20th range. At the end of the day, Robert I think is valued much higher (league wide) then that rankings but who knows.

I would be shocked if the rest of the league viewed Robert that lowly. He seems like he has a "nearly top of the league how are we getting this guy available" value. If you want to get the Mets talking about DeGrom, he's the kind of guy who could make that happen.

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I would be shocked if the rest of the league viewed Robert that lowly. He seems like he has a "nearly top of the league how are we getting this guy available" value. If you want to get the Mets talking about DeGrom, he's the kind of guy who could make that happen.

Yeah, I think baseball is infatuated with ceilings; always has been.

Robert has a best player in the World ceiling, despite his bust potential. The amount of prospects that have this ceiling is incredibly low.

I also find the Robert ranking by FG to be odd. They loved Buxton because his floor was so damn high. Bux was getting sent down when he was on 3 WAR paces solely because his bat hadn't played up. Robert's glove and base running probably make him a 2.5-3 WAR player just rolling out of bed; look at Victor Robles for a comp if he doesn't hit next year. 

Robert could also, like many incredibly talented players before him, make an adjustment really quickly in the big leagues to his approach and he could dominate from the beginning. He's never really had to change his approach, so it's tough to say whether he can do it or not. That is the big question for Robert. If he does that, you're talking about as elite of a talent as you're going to find around the league and teams are infatuated with that kind of talent.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Robert has a best player in the World ceiling, despite his bust potential. The amount of prospects that have this ceiling is incredibly low.

I also find the Robert ranking by FG to be odd. They loved Buxton because his floor was so damn high. Bux was getting sent down when he was on 3 WAR paces solely because his bat hadn't played up. Robert's glove and base running probably make him a 2.5-3 WAR player just rolling out of bed; look at Victor Robles for a comp if he doesn't hit next year. 

Robert could also, like many incredibly talented players before him, make an adjustment really quickly in the big leagues to his approach and he could dominate from the beginning. He's never really had to change his approach, so it's tough to say whether he can do it or not. That is the big question for Robert. If he does that, you're talking about as elite of a talent as you're going to find around the league and teams are infatuated with that kind of talent.

Exactly. Robert has bust potential for sure, and does not draw many walks currently, which may frighten some evaluators. The upside is immense, because if Robert continues to improve you are looking at an absolute five tool force. 

Let Robert prove himself in AAA for the first month or two of 2020, and if he does as expected call him up to the show. 

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Does he really have that much bust potential though?  With his defense, even if the bat never comes elite, he is likely a 3 WAR player,  Similar to Buxton, who certainly hasn't been very good with the bat, but still has been immensely valuable when on the field due to his defense.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Does he really have that much bust potential though?  With his defense, even if the bat never comes elite, he is likely a 3 WAR player,  Similar to Buxton, who certainly hasn't been very good with the bat, but still has been immensely valuable when on the field due to his defense.  

Yeah, this is my argument as well. His bust potential with his bat is obviously legit as he has some swing and miss, and he hasn't been tested yet so it's hard to conclude how he will adjust. That is a fair take to have, but his BR and defense are elite. 

He doesn't even need to be a great bat for this to matter. Buxton was just a 2.7 WAR player in 1/2 a season! The point of being a legit 5 tool prospect is that if one of the tools doesn't show up in the big leagues, you have 4+ tools to carry you. The less tools you have, the more carrying power one tool must have, but when you have 3 carrying tools and 2 + FV tools, you've got some security. 

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 minutes ago, Greek-konerko said:

Rabbit knows things about the sp sox try to acquire but drops hints. Why not tell us details unless u work for sox and doesn't allow u.warning that's not a personal attack.its something I don't understand at all.

There's a difference between hearing some things and knowing specifics. He has been really credible and measured in what he chooses to reveal. I believe it. 

Just now, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Except for that they are currently updating their rankings right now. They have done  4 teams so far this off-season.

Yeah, they're just giving you a new rundown of their top 30 for each team. They said at the end of the year, that they were done moving guys and they took a lot of questions regarding the Robert situation, and they stubbornly have stayed consistent with their valuation on him.

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yes he does but it's because of health. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Yes he does but it's because of health. 

Yah, that's fair.  I actually think Buxton is a pretty great comp for him, though perhaps Robert has a tad more offensive upside, Buxton a tad more defensive upside. Hopefully he can stay healthier than Byron has.  

6 minutes ago, mqr said:

I honestly don't see what pitchers would be available let alone coveted so rabbit's tweet is giving me a headache trying to figure it out. 

It is not immediately clear which above average starting pitcher(s) may be available via trade either, but you never know for various reasons.