Trade Market for Starting Pitchers...

caulfield12

3 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why is 2nd base easy to fill?

Outside of catcher, 2nd base has consistently had the fewest 3+ WAR players in baseball over the past decade. 

That means to me, that if Madrigal is a 3+ WAR player for the next 7 years he's an incredibly valuable piece.

It may be tough

I'd have no problems using either Madrigal or Vaughn as the headliner in a Snell package. 

Most likely, the Rays would want Vaughn and I'm ok with that. 

I'd guess it would be something like Vaughn, Dunning and 2 lottery tickets in the low minors. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I’m not sure if it’s a real thing, but if they end up dealing Cease because they were too cheap to sign a top dollar FA, I think I quit.

They should not be trading away their young talent. They should be making offers that FAs can’t afford to refuse. 

If they're trading him as a package for Blake Snell then there's no reason to cry about it.

3 hours ago, bmags said:

Well, mainly that 2b has been pretty easy to fill, especially at his expected offensive production. I'm not sure there is an easier position to fill.

There are 2 things we know for sure. Good starting pitchers and run producers get the big dollars. Madrigal is neither. Gallen could be a good starting pitcher and he showed that last year with both traditional and peripheral numbers being good.

We have need for starting pitching and being young and good even just for a half season puts him a leg up on Madrigal . He was drafted in the 3rd round . He advanced very quickly in 2017 age 21 season going from A+ to AAA. 2018 full season in AAA where he struggled a little bit with command. 2019 tore up AAA in 14 starts with a WHIP of .712 as opposed to 1.47 in 2018 his 1st full year in AAA. He put up good numbers with the Marlins and then the Dbacks in 15 more starts, ERA 2.81 FIP 3.61 WHIP 1.225. Pitched 80 innings in MLB giving up only 62 hits K/9 was 10.9 Total IP 2019 171 so he won't need any babying. Nickname is Milkman ( just like Herbert Perry ). He is better right now than Kopech and Cease and Lopez.

As far as 2nd basemen to replace Nick there is Cesar Hernandez, you could probably put Didi Gregorious there or Jose Iglesias, Asdrubal Cabrera, Starlin Castro, Brock Holt , Eric Sogard, Wilmer Flores or even Danny Mendick and not miss a beat from Madrigals expected production. Plus those guys will be available for the full season and Madrigal will not.

I'd do it because the Sox could get in on the ground floor, if Gallen is truly available, of a top flight starter instead of paying through the nose for a guy whose best days are behind him. Like any move it's risky but not so risky that we'd be giving up a run producer.

It's just a matter of need taking precedent over a position that is unlikely to produce 3 WAR regardless of who is playing there this season or in future seasons.

23 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I've gone from excitement over the winter meetings to nervousness and fear.  I really do not want us to trade our young core (Cease, Madrigal and Vaughn). . We just are not to that point yet.

100% agree with you

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I've gone from excitement over the winter meetings to nervousness and fear.  I really do not want us to trade our young core (Cease, Madrigal and Vaughn). . We just are not to that point yet.

I really don't think Hahn is going to trade any of the super notable pieces.  I could see Vaughn going in the right deal I guess if Sox are serious about signing either of Catellanos or Ozuna.  But I REALLY don't see any of Madrigal, Robert, Cease, Kopech, Eloy, etc. going anywhere.  

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Why would the Rays trade Snell after a 96 win season when he is under control for the next three years? 

Yeah, I'm not sure why people think Snell would net less than Sale.

Snell has more control than Sale had, and while Sale had been better more consistently, and he's nearly as good in terms of ceiling and level of performance.

Snell would cost a boat load; it would cost a Vaughn/Madrigal/Stiever type package.

Moncada was the #1 prospect in baseball and Kopech was the #2 arm prospect.

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Snell would cost a boat load; it would cost a Vaughn/Madrigal/Stiever type package.

That's exactly why I think the ask would start with Robert. And the talks would end.

Just now, DurhamStance said:

Really have no idea if he's got any cred at this point, but here's something

image.png

It's at least fun to talk about.

I do wonder if Rodon is a better piece than we realize. Please understand I mean that in he has value but not is the centerpiece for snell.

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I'm not sure why people think Snell would net less than Sale.

Snell has more control than Sale had, and while Sale had been better more consistently, and he's nearly as good in terms of ceiling and level of performance.

I don't think there's any chance the Sox are on the receiving end, but the rays moving Snell is totally conceivable. 

4 minutes ago, mqr said:

I don't think there's any chance the Sox are on the receiving end, but the rays moving Snell is totally conceivable. 

I'd be shocked. 

This is the Rays best window to compete in the last decade. They have the pieces to do it too. 

If the Rays can't hang onto a pitcher like Snell at his cost (after signing him to a great extension) while trying to compete then they should just contract that team. At some point, the Rays need to try and actually win it all with all these assets they've accumulated.