Padres / rays: Tommy Pham trade

bmags

1.6 and 1.9 fWAR for Renfroe the last two years.

6.2 and 4.1 for Pham.

Preller not messing around, trying to get more athletic overall with the additions of Profar, Grisham/Trammell and Pham...dumping lumbering outfielders Reyes and Renfroe (who also has a great arm.)

Trading two years of control between those two, with Pham a free agent after 2021 and Renfroe after 2023.  Machado opt-out is after the 2023 season, btw.

Padres clearly think that CJ Abrams will be a fast mover and that Edwards was expendable in the overall scheme of things.

The Rays would land MLB Pipeline’s No. 72 overall prospect, Xavier Edwards, while the Padres would acquire two-way player Jake Cronenworth.

13 minutes ago, daggins said:

It's odd that Pham has been traded twice already, although in this case because the Rays do Rays things, like trading arb guys when they start to get expensive.

The rays are so good at this no matter their competitive cycle it makes me ache. Getting good players you like, trade them for others.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

The rays are so good at this no matter their competitive cycle it makes me ache. Getting good players you like, trade them for others.

Rays aside because I am not sure  they will  draw under any situation. , I wonder how good that is for fan support. Fans love winners but they also love their favorite players. A turnstile roster may frustrate the fan base. 

Edited by SCCWS

45 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Rays aside because I am not sure  they will  draw under any situation. , I wonder how good that is for fan support. Fans love winners but they also love their favorite players. A turnstile roster may frustrate the fan base. 

Living in Tampa and the Rays being my 2nd favorite team I can tell you it does. The people that have true baseball knowledge know what they are doing, but your casual baseball fan does not.  I have several friends upset over this only bc they liked Pham and feel like we cant keep the same players around. With already low attendance things like these don't help get people to the park (terrible location aside).

Bit of an odd trade, but in the end, it does...make sense.

For the Rays, this is a trade admitting that they have to have a surreal low payroll. They cut out Pham who's old and getting closer to FA for a younger Renfroe under more control and get an elite prospect back. It sucks for the fans and apparently the teammates (Snell --> Slapdick prospect), but it's... smart.

For the Padres they get their high OBP high WAR outfield superstar as they try to compete this year and next.

I just don't know whether I like the trade or not from either perspective. So many pros/cons. 

Either way it's a very juicy offseason so far.

Edited by iWiN4PreP

Man, I'm a bit to very disappointed here. Hahn had to know Pham was available. He was a nice fit, short term duration, inexpensive, etc. 

Now what we would have to give up? Not sure. Probably too expensive at this point...  and i guess you don't want to give up decent prospects when you have Pham for just 2 years. Pham is such a nice player, that's the only disappointing part. 

Oh well. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Man, I'm a bit to very disappointed here. Hahn had to know Pham was available. He was a nice fit, short term duration, inexpensive, etc. 

Now what we would have to give up? Not sure. Probably too expensive at this point...  and i guess you don't want to give up decent prospects when you have Pham for just 2 years. Pham is such a nice player, that's the only disappointing part. 

Oh well. 

Well they got a solid replacement and a top 100 guy so I highly doubt We had the personnel to get it done.

11 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Oh well. 

What do they have on the roster that is comparable and expendable as Renfroe? And a top prospect to go with him?

9 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

What do they have on the roster that is comparable and expendable as Renfroe? And a top prospect to go with him?

Ideally we'd just have had a time machine and made the original trade from the cardinals (and to be fair that was a sentiment at the time here).

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Capital G said:

Living in Tampa and the Rays being my 2nd favorite team I can tell you it does. The people that have true baseball knowledge know what they are doing, but your casual baseball fan does not.  I have several friends upset over this only bc they liked Pham and feel like we cant keep the same players around. With already low attendance things like these don't help get people to the park (terrible location aside).

Guess it is a negative w existing players as well. Blake Snell sounds off

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2019/12/06/he-said-what-live-stream-captures-rays-ace-blake-snells-exasperated-reaction-to-tommy-pham-trade/23875323/

8 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

If we had a 1.6-1.9 RFer with a power arm...well, it was Avi.  But we wouldn’t now be trading him for just two years of control if we had extended him with a long-term deal through 2023 at least.  And we don’t have any expendable Top 75ish prospects, either.

And the Rays obviously value Renfroe over Avi as well.

10 hours ago, SCCWS said:

They don't have any fans to begin with