FA SP: What to do after the Wheeler miss?

Jack Parkman

Who do you want the Sox to sign?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which FA do you want?

• Bumgarner
    • Ryu
    • Keuchel
    • Shop at the bargain store (Wood, Wacha et al.) and/or make a trade

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Created this poll to get a sense of what everyone is thinking about SP. 

I voted bargain shopping/make a trade. 

Go all in on Rendon *option one*

I like Ryu best of the remaining starting pitchers. Yes, he is an injury risk, but he's outstanding when healthy. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Go all in on Rendon *option one*

I like Ryu best of the remaining starting pitchers. Yes, he is an injury risk, but he's outstanding when healthy. 

I could be sold on Bumgarner at 4/88 max. anything more than that, and I'd pass. Want nothing to do with Ryu and Keuchel. 

I'd bargain shop from here, and save your wad o'cash for next winter when Betts is available. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

The thing for this team to do at this point is to go all in on Strasburg.  Give him $40 million a year if you have to.  He’s the one guy out there that would actually sell jerseys and sell tickets.  If he gets hurt or goes downhill your fans can’t blame you for lack of trying.  (I wouldn’t trust this bunch to trade prospects for established pitchers and I wouldn’t go after Kenny specials like the above three.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Juschill said:

The thing for this team to do at this point is to go all in on Strasburg.  Give him $40 million a year if you have to.  He’s the one guy out there that would actually sell jerseys and sell tickets.  If he gets hurt or goes downhill your fans can’t blame you for lack of trying.  (I wouldn’t trust this bunch to trade prospects for established pitchers and I wouldn’t go after Kenny specials like the above three.)

We'd love that, but do you see JR and Boras coming to an agreement on him? When hell freezes over. 

They should do it, but they won't. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I could be sold on Bumgarner at 4/88 max. anything more than that, and I'd pass. Want nothing to do with Ryu and Keuchel. 

I'd bargain shop from here, and save your wad o'cash for next winter when Betts is available. 

Some are projecting Betts at $370 million and Stras at $238 million in overall contract dollars...

30 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ryu and Keuchel each offered 3 years at 15 million would work for me at this point.  Some risk but a fair degree of possible upside as well.  Way better gamble than Bum at 100.

3 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Ryu and Keuchel each offered 3 years at 15 million would work for me at this point.  Some risk but a fair degree of possible upside as well.  Way better gamble than Bum at 100.

That will never happen with Boras. He's getting at least 3/$60 for both. 

6 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Created this poll to get a sense of what everyone is thinking about SP. 

I voted bargain shopping/make a trade. 

Maybe the Sox should take the bargain basement idea to the extreme. Everyone talks about being creative so here we go.  Sign all the youngest hurt/bargain basement guys. Give them all 1 year plus an option or a more than fair buyout like 1 yr $5M contract with a $1M buyout. Some of these guys are going to get more , But the idea is to try to sign 6 of them at the same time to Major league contracts maybe with incentives. I'm not sure if that would work when some would have to be sent to the minors. Don't tell any of them about all the other guys you are signing. I know it's a stupid idea mainly because I have no idea what guarantees you have to make a player when signed to a major league contract but they aren't going to sign if they know you already signed 3 other guys and they have an equal offer.

Tanner Roark

Wade Miley

Brett Anderson

Martin Perez

Kevin Gausman

Alex Wood

Michael Wacha

Drew Smiley

Gio Gonzalez

Julio Teheran

Rick Porcello

Jordan Lyles

Ivan Nova

Identify the ones you want most ,equally split perhaps with guys who are worth the most like Miley with guys who could be worth the most recovering from injury that's not too serious . How much would it take to sign 6 of these guys ? $50M AAV ? This increases your odds of finding one who gives you excess value. You hit the jackpot if you find 2. The rest are your AAA depth and if they do well trade them off  bring them up to pitch relieve or whatever.

Flame away and tell me where the holes in this process are. Then try it again with the holes fixed. You could do a version of this also signing 3 or 4 of them.But the less you sign the less your odds of finding the one who ends up giving you value.

Edit: You could do much the same thing with relievers only the price would be much less like the Mets just signed Brad Brach.

Edit: Jordan Lyles off the board. Texas signed him. 2 yrs/$16M

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Maybe the Sox should take the bargain basement idea to the extreme. Everyone talks about being creative so here we go.  Sign all the youngest hurt/bargain basement guys. Give them all1 year plus an option or a more than fair buyout like 1 yr $5M contract with a $1M buyout. Some of these guys are going to get more , But the idea is to try to sign 6 of them at the same time to Major league contracts maybe with incentives. I'm not sure if that would work when some would have to be sent to the minors. Don't tell any of them about all the other guys you are signing. I know it's a stupid idea mainly because I have no idea what guarantees you have to make a player when signed to a major league contract but they aren't going to sign if they know you already signed 3 other guys and they have an equal offer.

Your biggest issue is probably roster spots. Unless they're on a minor league deal with a spring training invitation, you run out of 40-man spots.

1. Sign Ryu

2. Sign .... Steven Souza...

3. Sign Cesar Hernandez.. Get Leury outta here

4. Sign Anthony Rendon - Moving Moncada back to 2B

5. Trade Nick Madrigal,  Carlos Rodon, and a low lever prospect for Noah Syndergaard 

6. Trade Zack Collins, Rutherford, and Spencer Adams for Starling Marte

Boom let’s f**king roll 

2 minutes ago, Sarava said:

Definitely want them to trade for a starter. I'm not picking that option, because I don't support bargain store hunting. I'm not sure why those were lumped together.

We have so little worth anything in trades - Vaughn, Madrigal, Robert, and guys already on the big league roster - that I'm still strongly opposed to trading for a starter. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

We have so little worth anything in trades - Vaughn, Madrigal, Robert, and guys already on the big league roster - that I'm still strongly opposed to trading for a starter. 

And there is still decent pitching availability next offseason. But, obviously that is more nerve wrecking when we can’t convert on a Wheeler level pitcher.

17 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Your biggest issue is probably roster spots. Unless they're on a minor league deal with a spring training invitation, you run out of 40-man spots.

True but i guess i was looking for specifics about signing guys to a major league contracts who get an invite to spring training but get sent to the minors. Do they have the option to refuse that? Do they specifically have to be signed to minor league contracts? It could still work in theory unless they all wanted to be starting pitchers but instead 2 become starters in the majors and 2 become relievers if you only sign 4 instead of 6 because maybe there is space on the 25 for 4 pitchers among starters and relievers if one is a long man who can periodically start.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside