FA SP: What to do after the Wheeler miss?

Jack Parkman

Who do you want the Sox to sign?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which FA do you want?

• Bumgarner
    • Ryu
    • Keuchel
    • Shop at the bargain store (Wood, Wacha et al.) and/or make a trade

12 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

True but i guess i was looking for specifics about signing guys to a major league contracts who get an invite to spring training but get sent to the minors. Do they have the option to refuse that? Do they specifically have to be signed to minor league contracts? It could still work in theory unless they all wanted to be starting pitchers but instead 2 become starters in the majors and 2 become relievers if you only sign 4 instead of 6 because maybe there is space on the 25 for 4 pitchers among starters and relievers if one is a long man who can periodically start.

Depends on the contract. If a guy can get guaranteed money and a big league roster spot he will almost certainly take that. Sometimes guys take minor league deals that would include guaranteed money but that require them to be called up by a certain day or released, Gio Gonzalez was on one of those last year.

The only way to keep them off the 40 man is a minor league contract.

9 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If that's the case do it now. Tons of 2nd basement on the open market . No idea why the D backs would give away a promising young starter.

I love Madrigal and think he’s going to be really good but I would do that trade for the reason you mentioned. It’s a lot easier to find a serviceable second baseman than a pitcher.

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

It was a weird one. Not sure wtf the Marlins were thinking with that one. 

It seems unbelievable to me that that was the best deal they found. 

It had to be them trying to get Chisholm rather than other way around.

26 minutes ago, Baron said:

I really haven't seen where we are. Some national guys assume we are since we lost out on wheeler. My question is if we're serious on Gallen (which I like alot) where would he pitch in our rotation? And then do they still go after another FA starter?

Edited by smellysox

14 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I really haven't seen where we are. Some national guys assume we are since we lost out on wheeler. 

You’ve had Stone saying that it wasn’t a big deal some guys gave up a lot of home runs last year, that’s pretty clearly a Bumgarner defense from their mouthpiece.