FA SP: What to do after the Wheeler miss?

Jack Parkman

Who do you want the Sox to sign?   

90 members have voted

1. 1. Which FA do you want?

• Bumgarner
    • Ryu
    • Keuchel
    • Shop at the bargain store (Wood, Wacha et al.) and/or make a trade

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

OMFG why do people take that account seriously? Really people???? Really??????

Haha I’m starting to see more and more people seem to take him seriously . Him and the MLB Insiders View are REALLY good at sounding legit. The funny thing about Cishek is he claimed to get info from “J Michael Robertson” the “burner” account from last year that people believed lol

1 minute ago, Orlando said:

Haha I’m starting to see more and more people seem to take him seriously . Him and the MLB Insiders View are REALLY good at sounding legit. The funny thing about Cishek is he claimed to get info from “J Michael Robertson” the “burner” account from last year that people believed lol

And Charles the Cat........lol. 

11 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Are you Steve Stone?

No, I actually wanted Wheeler at $125M and so did the White Sox, Steve Stone did not.  But I’m sure their mouth piece would bag on the guy they decided should be the highest paid player in franchise history.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Part of me wishes Stone would just shut up and not talk so much on social media.  I get he can’t blast the org for not going for Cole or Strasburg, but he could certainly not justify their actions and try hyping more affordable guys like he did in that MadBum tweet.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

FWIW, Merkin also predicted Keuchel to the Sox on that random podcast.

I think I can live with something a long the lines of a 3 year deal if it ends up being him. Not exactly my first choice, but he's better than Covey, Despaigne, Detwiler, etc. I can't imagine Keuchel is going to be anything more than a 4/5 coming back to the AL. Damn do I wish Wheeler could have been locked up.

I'd take Keuchel, but Sox better hope Tim Anderson really improves defensively cause Keuchel gets alot of groundball outs (and they better pray Vaughn comes up quickly cause Abreu is going to be a disaster over at 1B). 

Still would much rather have Ryu, injury issues be damned.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

I would much rather aim for Ryu.

1 minute ago, SoxAce said:

I'd take Keuchel, but Sox better hope Tim Anderson really improves defensively cause Keuchel gets alot of groundball outs (and they better pray Vaughn comes up quickly cause Abreu is going to be a disaster over at 1B). 

Still would much rather have Ryu, injury issues be damned.

I too would rather have Ryu simply for the upside.  Keuchel is a useful pitcher and a huge upgrade over what he’d be replacing, but no someone I want starting an important playoff game.

2 hours ago, Jerksticks said:

Ok. But then you sign Rendon right?

Not sure it's necessary. 1st priority is starting pitching perhaps even after making that trade. I've been against trading the prospects but very much in favor of prospect for prospect if a position of need is filled with a position of strength. How much do we really lose with Madrigal ? We lose his years but get plenty years back in Gallen.  Gallen has already proven himself in the majors. You can fill 2nd base with Cesar Hernandez. SIgn a one year stop gap right fielder or even go after Ryu or Bum.

Gio

Gallen

Bum./ Ryu ,/ Keuchel

Cease

Lopez

Kopech

. Leave money for Betts or Springer next year or sign Rendon and forget about more pitching . I think the lineup is good without Rendon but the pitching staff still isn't great even with Gallen just like it wasn't with Wheeler.

This is all just fantasy . If a Gallen for Madrigal trade ever materializes I would be shocked. It's just fun to play around with a new idea.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Trading for Gallen and signing Rendon would make me shit myself and forget Machado or Tatis Jr ever existed. 

Stop.  These clowns trading prospects for major league players will never end well.

Sign Strasburg and that’s it.  Don’t make any more signings.  Don’t trade your prospects.  It will only end poorly.

3 minutes ago, Juschill said:

Stop.  These clowns trading prospects for major league players will never end well.

Sign Strasburg and that’s it.  Don’t make any more signings.  Don’t trade your prospects.  It will only end poorly.

Gallen isn't a free agent till 2026 . That would be a massive win for the Sox which is why it won't happen. I've been saying the same, keep the prospects let them develop but this Gallen kid might be the real deal and 2nd basemen are plentiful to replace Madrigal.

20 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Gallen isn't a free agent till 2026 . That would be a massive win for the Sox which is why it won't happen. I've been saying the same, keep the prospects let them develop but this Gallen kid might be the real deal and 2nd basemen are plentiful to replace Madrigal.

I mean I know this is fantasy but why would the dbacks want to do this? They've got to be thinking like us right? - second baseman are plentiful and easier to replace than pitching

I am confused why people are looking to make trades.  There are quality free agents out there at positions of need for the Sox and they should have plenty of money to spend.  I realize not all the FA options are perfect but it doesn’t make much sense to trade any talent away when the Sox can simply spend money to fill their holes.  Keep in mind, they haven’t spent much the past three years and Hahn said the money will be spent.  No excuses.

At this point, Keuchel might be the best option since he at least keeps the ball on the ground.  His agent is Boras so that will be interesting, just like with Castellanos.  But if the Sox just add two tier C starters, they damn well better spend their money signing Castellanos or Ozuna and adding significant bullpen help.

Edited by Moan4Yoan