Strasburg back to WASH

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

7 years, 245 million. LOL what a disaster of a contract.

I'm sure there's a lot of deferred money in there as the Nats love deferred money, but that is still absolutely absurd.

This is the new King Felix deal except worse.  He'll be lucky to be replacement level after year 4.

Just now, mqr said:

7 years at 35 mil seems like an awful lot for a guy who is going to turn 32 next year. 

1. A guy who has had 2 seasons of 200 IP in 8 years. 

2. A guy coming off the most substantial work load increase in baseball last year by a wide margin.

3. A guy with chronic injury issues.

The only thing I'll say positive about Strasburg aging is that he has shown an ability to pitch without his peak stuff which does matter. 

That said, this contract will be an absolute abortion in 3 years.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

This is the new King Felix deal except worse.  He'll be lucky to be replacement level after year 4.

Very good comp, although Felix was at least a bill of great health.

Stras may be a better pitcher with lesser stuff, but that stuff is going to fall and it's going to fall quickly.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

1. A guy who has had 2 seasons of 200 IP in 8 years. 

2. A guy coming off the most substantial work load increase in baseball last year by a wide margin.

3. A guy with chronic injury issues.

The only thing I'll say positive about Strasburg aging is that he has shown an ability to pitch without his peak stuff which does matter. 

That said, this contract will be an absolute abortion in 3 years.

Every FA pitcher just got even more expensive after Strasburg inked a 7/245 with full no trade clause. 

Cole is getting 8/300 with full no trade now all day. Wow.

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Every FA pitcher just got even more expensive after Strasburg inked a 7/245 with full no trade clause. 

Cole is getting 8/300 with full no trade now all day. Wow.

Deferrals are really important here. If 50 million of this is deferred, it's more like a 7 year, 220 million dollar present day offer.

1 minute ago, oneofthemikes said:

Gotta wait for the annual breakdown but unless that contract is HEAVILY front-loaded, that deal is gonna be really gross in the last few years. 38-year-olds don't tend to be worth $35M/yr.

Doesn't matter if it's front loaded or not, honestly. The way baseball does the cap distribution, front loading doesn't really help much down the road.

I imagine, if anything, the Nats put a 10 year deferral in place at about 5 million per. Maybe less, but I would guess that's the only thing creative they do here.

6 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

I'm not mad at this at all. Sox should not have paid that much. Really makes Wheeler a bargain though. And now controllable starters will ask for Robert or Madrigal at a minimum

Very easy then, you say no.

4 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Gotta wait for the annual breakdown but unless that contract is HEAVILY front-loaded, that deal is gonna be really gross in the last few years. 38-year-olds don't tend to be worth $35M/yr.

I mean obviously, but they signed him to the deal they had to because they wanted him to be on their team the next three years to go with their great rotation and young, cheap, great offense.

Rizzo has been pretty damn incredible with contracts. He pays a lot for guys that have performed at that level. I think he deserves some patience here.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I think people wanting to blame the White Sox for not signing Stras can move on now. The Sox would be complete idiots to sign him for that deal.

Agreed, cannot wait to watch our fiscally responsible 77 win ball club next year.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Someone bookmark this one.

This deal helped every FA starting pitcher's value quite a bit. Cole is going to shatter records, Ryu now look like a bargain, as do MBum and Keuchel.

Sox better be ready to play ball here soon