Strasburg back to WASH

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Agreed, cannot wait to watch our fiscally responsible 77 win ball club next year.

Again, you can't ask the organization to be intelligent and responsible and then ask them to throw 260 million dollars at a guy who is worth about 180 million. They either become a good and smart organization in all facets or they don't. 

Sox fans are really bipolar.

I want them to make intelligent and savvy decisions, supplement their core with effective and talented players, and I don't want them to just spend money and not care about the expected value in return solely to show people they're going to spend.

That's how you destroy the future of the team. You don't build up the core for 4 years of complete misery, only to throw all the value you get from your young controllable assets at a SP who has an injury history that would make any doctor cringe.

If you want to sign Stras for 7 years 260 just to say the Sox did, go right ahead. It doesn't prove anything. Only winning does.

Just now, steveno89 said:

This deal helped every FA starting pitcher's value quite a bit. Cole is going to shatter records, Ryu now look like a bargain, as do MBum and Keuchel.

Sox better be ready to play ball here soon

Not many records to shatter after Stras.

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

This deal helped every FA starting pitcher's value quite a bit. Cole is going to shatter records, Ryu now look like a bargain, as do MBum and Keuchel.

Sox better be ready to play ball here soon

SoxMachine Josh outlined a doomsday scenario where the Yankees sign Cole, Dodgers re-sign Ryu, MadBum goes to the Angels and the Sox and Twins are left to compete for Keuchel.

• Like 1

I’ll be shocked if this isn’t deferred to the degree that the Scherzer deal was. Which doesn’t make it not a shocking amount of money, but NPV of the investment will be substantially lower by the time inflation hits the dollars, which makes a big difference if you’re a billionaire and are projecting how the cost works out. 

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Oops...

The Sox haven’t seemed to learn that free agent prices just keep going up year after year.  They don’t go down.

Well, they were pretty stagnant while the biggest franchises tried to dip back under the lux tax.

I am glad they are back as a baseball fan.

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

I’ll be shocked if this isn’t deferred to the degree that the Scherzer deal was. Which doesn’t make it not a shocking amount of money, but NPV of the investment will be substantially lower by the time inflation hits the dollars, which makes a big difference if you’re a billionaire and are projecting how the cost works out. 

The deferments do include interest though to account for the NPV loss

1 minute ago, Eminor3rd said:

Yeah it has been such a staple for them that it would be surprising. I do wonder if this was easier with them having tried to negotiate (and losing) harper for years. Had to know the flexibility of ownership at that point. Helps to have that WS vibes too.

1 minute ago, HoosierSox said:

$130 Mil for Wheeler doesn't look too bad now. 

This is why I was disappointed they couldn't close Wheeler. They won't play with the big boy's for tier A free agents, so you try and get someone with potential to turn into one of those guys,  

Just now, steveno89 said:

The deferments do include interest though to account for the NPV loss

Really? Are you sure about that? I was under the impressions that was not the car, at least with the Scherzer deal, but I could very easily have read a bad source. That would change it a lot if true. 

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Ok, since you have a source, how is that a ridiculous comment? 

I am not making the comment based off of any inside information. I made the comment as a result of your penchant to overreact and to flippantly assess situations based off of emotion and an overwhelming feeling of unending dread.

Wheeler was a nut punch. The Sox set the market and still didn't get him. They signed the best fit on the market in Grandal. They're still working on multiple fronts. They will make additional moves and they will address the majority of the team's holes if not all of them. Let the process play out.

I remember years ago when people were calling for Hahn's head when there was no movement with the team on Monday night of the WM. Then they traded Sale and Eaton in consecutive days for a Cy Young Finalist, 5 WAR stud, a top 30 prospect, another top ten prospect, Lopez and Basabe. Relax. Let it play out.

Even if you think owners are rich and should just give good players blank checks with no consideration of the risk of a contract of this magnitude we were never signing Strasburg.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

I am not making the comment based off of any inside information. I made the comment as a result of your penchant to overreact and to flippantly assess situations based off of emotion and an overwhelming feeling of unending dread.

Wheeler was a nut punch. The Sox set the market and still didn't get him. They signed the best fit on the market in Grandal. They're still working on multiple fronts. They will make additional moves and they will address the majority of the team's holes if not all of them. Let the process play out.

I remember years ago when people were calling for Hahn's head when there was no movement with the team on Monday night of the WM. Then they traded Sale and Eaton in consecutive days for a Cy Young Finalist, 5 WAR stud, a top 30 prospect, another top ten prospect, Lopez and Basabe. Relax. Let it play out.

Even if you think owners are rich and should just give good players blank checks with no consideration of the risk of a contract of this magnitude we were never signing Strasburg.

few people on here think a gm job is so easy

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

OK, if they were never in the Strasburg/Cole market, and Wheeler never wanted to come here, then where do they spend their money? I think that what Ryu/Keuchel/Bumgarner are going to get is even more fiscally irresponsible than Cole/Strasburg. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, centerfieldsixers said:

few people on here think a gm job is so easy

There are 30 teams in the league yet people think we should get every player we target. 

Sox handled the Machado situation very poorly. They got played and drummed up way to much excitement before the eggs hatched. The rest of their offseason targets and execution were all terrible. We have been absent in the LatAm since Robert. Past those items, the rebuild has been handled very well and we are positioned to be a force in the future if they augment the team well these next few years. 

• Like 2