Strasburg back to WASH

Sleepy Harold

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

OK, if they were never in the Strasburg/Cole market, and Wheeler never wanted to come here, then where do they spend their money? I think that what Ryu/Keuchel/Bumgarner are going to get is even more fiscally irresponsible than Cole/Strasburg. 

Since when do you care about being fiscally responsible?

4 minutes ago, raBBit said:

Since when do you care about being fiscally responsible?

I really don't(unless you're talking about my personal life...that shit is baked into my genes lol) , but at the same time the argument can be made that Strasburg/Cole at their prices are better investments than Ryu/Bumgarner/Keuchel at their prices. 

Any one of the latter three could be the next Shields. 

You get Cole or Strasburg, you're probably getting at least 3 years of a TOR starter, and the remainder of it as a #3/4.  It costs more, but it costs more because it's safer. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

6 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This signing is great news regardless.  Boras actually stuck to his comments about things moving fast.  We won’t be waiting all winter to see where these free agents go.

I mean I think Boras (correctly) judged that this was not an offer that was going to be beat, and probably also knew that Rendon had a good offer on the table too and that they weren’t getting both.

I think it’s more that Boras knows not to look a gift horse in the mouth more so than it signals a change in his strategy. 

Edited by Eminor3rd

Strasburg and Cole are Boras clients. Rosenthal said the Sox would do a buy it now price for Cole, I think he said $280 million, but didn’t want to bid for him, even if that bidding ultimately resulted in a lower number .I took it as they didn’t want to play Boras’ game.

The same probably holds true for all his clients. So I would think the Sox targets are elsewhere.Just hope Rodon comes back as nails in August, because they will want to unload him next winter.

Edited by Dick Allen

2 minutes ago, raBBit said:

There are 30 teams in the league yet people think we should get every player we target. 

Sox handled the Machado situation very poorly. They got played and drummed up way to much excitement before the eggs hatched. The rest of their offseason targets and execution were all terrible. We have been absent in the LatAm since Robert. Past those items, the rebuild has been handled very well and we are positioned to be a force in the future if they augment the team well these next few years. 

But those are very valid reasons for fans concerns. They need to overcome the stink of last offseason, and not for the fans, but for the players/agents/industry to start looking at them as real players.

They probably need to pay a bit of a premium to get some players here until they start winning. I hope they understand that. Wheeler and Machado were negotiated pretty publicly, and they look like they were pretty well used in both situations.

The worst thing they can do is overreact and start making poor trades to suddenly look competent. They have money to spend and should be upgrading that way. Not giving up resources that will be needed down the road.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I really don't, but at the same time the argument can be made that Strasburg/Cole at their prices are better investments than Ryu/Bumgarner/Keuchel at their prices. 

Any one of the latter three could be the next Shields. 

You get Cole or Strasburg, you're probably getting at least 3 years of a TOR starter, and the remainder of it as a #3/4.  It costs more, but it costs more because it's safer. 

I guess we're just looking at this differently because you knew the contracts that Ryu/Bumgarner/Keuchel are getting and I don't. You also know that Ryu/Bumgarner/Keuchel (players the Sox could still conceivably get) are the next Shields and Strasburg/Cole (players the Sox won't get) are going to be healthy for three years and worth the million dollar a start (if they stay healthy for several years) price tag. It's almost like any scenario you address ends in the Sox being doomed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

Just now, shakes said:

But those are very valid reasons for fans concerns. They need to overcome the stink of last offseason, and not for the fans, but for the players/agents/industry to start looking at them as real players.

They probably need to pay a bit of a premium to get some players here until they start winning. I hope they understand that. Wheeler and Machado were negotiated pretty publicly, and they look like they were pretty well used in both situations.

The worst thing they can do is overreact and start making poor trades to suddenly look competent. They have money to spend and should be upgrading that way. Not giving up resources that will be needed down the road.

Sox weren't played by Wheeler's camp. He and his agent are class people. Ultimately the man made a decision to forgo what is really just a few million of take home earnings for family reasons. Machado's agent was a scumbag lying and deceiving the Sox. Sox are at fault for not being able temper their expectations with that in mind. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, raBBit said:

I guess we're just looking at this differently because you knew the contracts that Ryu/Bumgarner/Keuchel are getting and I don't. You also know that Ryu/Bumgarner/Keuchel (players the Sox could still conceivably get) are the next Shields and Strasburg/Cole (players the Sox won't get) are going to be healthy for three years and worth the million dollar a start (if they stay healthy for several years) price tag. It's almost like any scenario you address ends in the Sox being doomed. 

I don't think they're doomed per se, I think they're stupid. They've proven it over and over again. It's incredibly frustrating as a fan. 

Ryu is injured more often than either Strasburg or Cole

Bumgarner has a gopher ball problem, and GRF is a notorious HR hitter's paradise

Keuchel is a 2 win pitcher. You can go get those for far less than he costs. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

He's the best at his job, no doubt. 

I never begrudge players for getting theirs. Boras is awesome at his job. Fans should not be mad at a guy just because he's awesome at his job. 

If I were a player I would beg Scott Boras to be my agent.  

Edited by Harold's Leg Lift

If you all think Boras and the Nationals striking a deal is going to be a boon for the players market you haven't been paying attention the last few years.

Somehow Lerner still considers Boras a friend even though Boras takes him for an expensive ride on an annual basis.  

Let's just face the facts - we're doomed to be the Rays and A's as a franchise. let's not kid ourselves - we aren't even in the neighborhood on these type of deals. Uncle Jerry won't go past 5 years and teams are dealing out a quarter of a billion over 7 years for an arm. That's 3-4X the largest contract in Sox history that was just set 2 weeks ago. 

Our best shot is our internal talent progressing well and then us making some really nice in-season trades for controllable guys like Cole was from the Pirates for 2-3 seasons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raBBit said:

If you all think Boras and the Nationals striking a deal is going to be a boon for the players market you haven't been paying attention the last few years.

Somehow Lerner still considers Boras a friend even though Boras takes him for an expensive ride on an annual basis.  

Well this year he'll have a World Series trophy to ride along with him.  

• Like 1

Just now, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Well this year he'll have a World Series trophy to ride along with him.  

That's true and I rooted for the Nats this year with that in mind. That said, Lerner got absolutely wrecked on both Strasburg deals.

3 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Let's just face the facts - we're doomed to be the Rays and A's as a franchise. let's not kid ourselves - we aren't even in the neighborhood on these type of deals. Uncle Jerry won't go past 5 years and teams are dealing out a quarter of a billion over 7 years for an arm. That's 3-4X the largest contract in Sox history that was just set 2 weeks ago. 

Our best shot is our internal talent progressing well and then us making some really nice in-season trades for controllable guys like Cole was from the Pirates for 2-3 seasons.

you just figured this out?  Not as bad as the Rays or A's , maybe a step above

5 minutes ago, raBBit said:

That's true and I rooted for the Nats this year with that in mind. That said, Lerner got absolutely wrecked on both Strasburg deals.

Known facts now:

-Cole is going to be paid massively. I'd predict 8 years, approaching $300 million with full NTC. LAA and NYY heavily involved.

-Rendon is unlikely to return to the Nationals. LAD, ATL, TEX are clear suitors, others possibly? 

Edited by steveno89