Dallas Keuchel (discussion)...come on down!

steveno89

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Not really. Lopez was a better pitcher by fWAR in 2019. Think about that for a minute. 

I don't want Keuchel.  But this is silly way to look at it.

WAR is a counting stat.  Kuechel sat out half the season.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

Not really. Lopez was a better pitcher by fWAR in 2019. Think about that for a minute. 

We can all hope for better, but the way this market might quickly shape up should concern Sox fans. 

Missing on Wheeler was a big blow. 

Think about Covey, Despagine, and all the other garbage that we threw out last year.

Keuchel isn’t a replacement for Lopez.

• Like 4

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

I don't want Keuchel.  But this is silly way to look at it.

WAR is a counting stat.  Kuechel sat out half the season.  

It is, but Keuchel was worth 0.8 fWAR in 112 2/3 IP. 

If you extrapolate that to 190 IP, it comes out to 1.3 fWAR. 

Still worse than Lopez's 2.1. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soxbadger said:

Keuchel on a market rate deal is okay with me. 

I mean....in this market, what is a market rate deal for him?  We need a good SP.  Keuchel would be a fine 2nd SP addition, but we don't really need 2 SP on multiyear deals.  We need one a multiyear deal and one on a 1 year deal.  

Kuechel for 3/$45M is whatever, but if that's you best SP addition, we're basically punting 2020.  

8 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I believe he will be signed to man our #4 spot in the rotation.

Biggest acquisition outside of Grandal now looks to be via the trade market.

What quality starting pitcher is even available via trade right now? That is a genuine question. I scoured fangraphs and am not seeing any obvious fit.

Jon Gray possibly? 

Edited by steveno89

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

What quality starting pitcher is even available via trade right now? That is a genuine question. I scoured fangraphs and am not seeing any obvious fit.

That's the issue. 

They can get pitchers just as good as Keuchel in the bargain bin. Keuchel is a signing a dumb organization makes. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, steveno89 said:

I’m not either and can’t speculate but I trust @raBBit and have been surprised by this teams ability to pry away starting pitching from the trade market before.

Not surprisingly, the last times were a year prior to and a year after winning the World Series.

🤔

12 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I shudder to think what this board will do if Keuchel is our marquee free agent acquired outside of Grandal. 

There's a decent chance it becomes a reality.

I would be very happy.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I mean....in this market, what is a market rate deal for him?  We need a good SP.  Keuchel would be a fine 2nd SP addition, but we don't really need 2 SP on multiyear deals.  We need one a multiyear deal and one on a 1 year deal.  

Kuechel for 3/$45M is whatever, but if that's you best SP addition, we're basically punting 2020.  

If we include Cease in a package for a SP, then all of a sudden Keuchel on a multiyear deal as our second best starting pitcher acquisition isn't so bad.

1 minute ago, hi8is said:

I’m not either and can’t speculate but I trust @raBBit and have been surprised by this teams ability to pry away starting pitching from the trade market before.

Not surprisingly, the last times were a year prior to and a year after winning the World Series.

🤔

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=80&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=&rost=&age=&filter=&players=&startdate=&enddate=&page=1_30

Look at the first two pages of this list and who jumps out as being available? Contenders surely would not trade a quality starter for prospects.

Jon Gray's two seasons of control might be available? Beyond that who? Marco Gonzales? Joe Musgrove? Matthew Boyd? Jon Means? 

Just now, steveno89 said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=pit&lg=all&qual=80&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=&rost=&age=&filter=&players=&startdate=&enddate=&page=1_30

Look at the first two pages of this list and who jumps out as being available? Contenders surely would not trade a quality starter for prospects.

Jon Gray's two seasons of control might be available? Beyond that who? Marco Gonzales? Joe Musgrove? Matthew Boyd? Jon Means? 

I’ve been asking the same question all week and do not have an answer.

17 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I shudder to think what this board will do if Keuchel is our marquee free agent acquired outside of Grandal. 

There's a decent chance it becomes a reality.

would have made it a failed offseason IMO.. This offseason was setup perfectly for our needs.  TOR starters, TOP catcher, and some good DH options (we chose Abreu on long term)

• Texsox locked this topic