Dallas Keuchel (discussion)...come on down!

steveno89

2 minutes ago, hi8is said:

I’ve been asking the same question all week and do not have an answer.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but it's a genuine question as to which quality starting pitcher is even available via trade? 

Fangraphs has Cease projected to be worth 2.2 WAR in 2020 making league minimum. If I am punting years of cheap control over him I had better be getting a legit piece back. 

I'm in a weird boat where I think people are overstating Keuchel as a bad pitcher, but he is not really what I have in mind for this rotation.

It's like a fantasy draft where a guy keeps dropping you know gives you some consistent production and is worth getting there...but just not what you want.

But if we are talking something like 3/45 then I think his experience and health would be a benefit to the sox. But I just know we will want that flexibility in the coming year or two to pounce on an expensive guy that becomes available so I am less excited for likely two 18-20 mill guys in keuchel and whomever that soak up a lot of that flexibility.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'm in a weird boat where I think people are overstating Keuchel as a bad pitcher, but he is not really what I have in mind for this rotation.

It's like a fantasy draft where a guy keeps dropping you know gives you some consistent production and is worth getting there...but just not what you want.

But if we are talking something like 3/45 then I think his experience and health would be a benefit to the sox. But I just know we will want that flexibility in the coming year or two to pounce on an expensive guy that becomes available so I am less excited for likely two 18-20 mill guys in keuchel and whomever that soak up a lot of that flexibility.

I'd honestly rather roll the dice on plenty of other starting pitching options than go 3-4 years on Keuchel for $15-18 million per. I just do not think he's that good anymore. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I shudder to think what this board will do if Keuchel is our marquee free agent acquired outside of Grandal. 

There's a decent chance it becomes a reality.

No, what would really make this board shutter?  is if we were the high bidder and he chose the Cubs instead.

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

Was not my intention to mislead, just to point where the Sox might be headed

No problem...I think it's just the atmosphere with it being winter meetings and all. Any statement with "come on down" and a White Sox-connected player's name before it, on any normal boring week, probably would garner a different feel to it.

Just now, smellysox said:

No, what would really make this board shutter?  is if we were the high bidder and he chose the Cubs instead.

Cubs need to clear payroll to do anything. They have spent a ton in recent offseasons and that finally has caught up to them.

They are not a threat to sign any substantial FA until they shed $$$$

15 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but it's a genuine question as to which quality starting pitcher is even available via trade? 

Fangraphs has Cease projected to be worth 2.2 WAR in 2020 making league minimum. If I am punting years of cheap control over him I had better be getting a legit piece back. 

Cease isn't going anywhere, neither is Kopech. Waste of time to even speculate. Both have Ace potential. 

1 minute ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

I'll just leave this here

Just replace Wheeler with any viable, competent MLB starting pitcher. LITERALLY ANYONE is better than the garbage that occupied the bottom half of the rotation last year.

Doesn't mean we should sign someone expensive that becomes a terrible deal...

22 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Not being a smartass either... nor do I think Cease will be traded or even discussed.

1 minute ago, NotHahn said:

Where does RaBBit or other insiders say that Cease and or Kopech are on the trading block?

This is all speculative right now. 

Sox rumored to be working the trade market for starting pitching, also rumored to have quality prospects potentially on the table in negotiations, unclear who may even be available though. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Maybe I misunderstood all the chat and sharing here of tweets mentioning Cease.

Cease's name was tossed out as a potential trade chip. I doubt he gets dealt this offseason.

Stiever is a player they might look to deal after his strong 2019?

• Texsox locked this topic