Dallas Keuchel (discussion)...come on down!

steveno89

The problem I have with signing either Keuchel or Bumgarner has more to do with the White Sox than either of those two pitchers. In either case I see the White Sox patting themselves on the back for a job well done and consider the rotation fixed. Either of these guys would be a fine 3 or 4 starter, but the White Sox need a #2 (or a true #1 but lol at signing Cole) and neither of these guys fit the bill.

Edited by TomPickle

5 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

The problem I have with signing either Keuchel or Bumgarner has more to do with the White Sox than either of those two pitchers. In either case I see the White Sox patting themselves on the back for a job well done and consider the rotation fixed. Either of these guys would be a fine 3 or 4 starter, but the White Sox need a #2 (or a true #1 but lol at signing Cole) and neither of these guys fit the bill.

It would have exactly the same feel as Cabrera/Robertson/LaRoche, just that the young core has essentially doubled and has more superstar potential in Robert, Moncada, Jimenez and at least one of the young pitching prospects to have a breakout.

i really wouldnt hate a keuchel signing if he was the second guy that we got. he is a solid enough arm. if they are able to land an interesting guy via trade i certainly wouldnt hate keuchel. i dont think he will be the best guy sp they get though.. most reports out there are that they are aggressive i think they will make things happen

51 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Ryu and Kuechel would firm up the staff substantially.  I know its not Wheeler and Scherzer but in all honesty those contracts border on insane.

Yah, I mean - if I am the Sox, I am doing everything I can to get Ryu right now.  Everything falls into place if you have Ryu.  Much less so IMO if its Keuchel.  

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

That’s because Drake LaRoche was honorary manager and in charge of the clubhouse for that one year...and is now deployed in Pattaya, Thailand, breaking up a trafficking ring.   

“He’s the best, most naturally talented leader of men I have ever encountered since Robin Ventura.  He could be a four star general, a start-up CEO or the next Mr. Rogers.”     Kenny Williams, 2014

”I love me some Drake.”   Adam Eaton, 2014

”At least they doesn’t needlessly flip over the postgame buffet table due to their non-Raidersesque, pacifist ways.” Chris Sale on the LaRoches

I resent this. 

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yah, I mean - if I am the Sox, I am doing everything I can to get Ryu right now.  Everything falls into place if you have Ryu.  Much less so IMO if its Keuchel.  

I'm hoping for both.  I have always thought that free agency should be used to plug holes with solid/proven players.  Stars need to come from in house development and trades.  The cost of free agent stars is just debilitating to a team.  Get two starters the caliber we're talking about...a couple competent relivers and a Pederson type right fielder...that is a very good team.  That team has power, obp, speed, defense and a competent pitching staff.  Very good chance to win the division and get better as Robert & Madrigal improve with some ML experience and Kopech, Cease and Dunning regain their sea legs.

9 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I'm hoping for both.  I have always thought that free agency should be used to plug holes with solid/proven players.  Stars need to come from in house development and trades.  The cost of free agent stars is just debilitating to a team.  Get two starters the caliber we're talking about...a couple competent relivers and a Pederson type right fielder...that is a very good team.  That team has power, obp, speed, defense and a competent pitching staff.  Very good chance to win the division and get better as Robert & Madrigal improve with some ML experience and Kopech, Cease and Dunning regain their sea legs.

Hahn deserves MLB Executive of the Year if he can recover from Wheeler to sign Ryu AND Keuchel, fix RF, supplement the bullpen from the RH side AND pick up one last piece as insurance for Collins at DH (see Gennett, Smoak, Cron, Adams, EE, etc.)

Edited by caulfield12

35 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

I don’t get this logic, honestly. #2 vs a 3-4 vs a true #1, so what? If you’re a serious landing spot for a true #1 AND a 3-4, but signing the latter will eliminate the potential for signing the former, then sure, sign the ace. But like you said, we’re not getting Cole. So we need to do our best towards having five guys who can start 32 games and give us a decent shot to win in each of them. Keuchel isn’t what he was a few years ago, but he can absolutely be one of those guys.

6 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Hahn deserves MLB Executive of the Year if he can recover from Wheeler to sign Ryu AND Keuchel, fix RF, supplement the bullpen from the RH side AND pick up one last piece as insurance for Collins at DH (see Gennett, Smoak, Cron, Adams, EE, etc.)

I’m reading between the lines of what has been said.

i think the Sox are not liking the current free agent costs being floated around for pitching and position players, so they are exploring the trade route and trying to work several deals. Nothing seems close, but they will continue to try.

5 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I’m reading between the lines of what has been said.

i think the Sox are not liking the current free agent costs being floated around for pitching and position players, so they are exploring the trade route and trying to work several deals. Nothing seems close, but they will continue to try.

If this is true I’m miffed. The Sox don’t like the prices? Then get out of the freaking business! Great idea to trade your prospects for more budget friendly guys. Same old Sox if that’s true which I hope it is not.

7 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

If this is true I’m miffed. The Sox don’t like the prices? Then get out of the freaking business! Great idea to trade your prospects for more budget friendly guys. Same old Sox if that’s true which I hope it is not.

I mean, some of the alleged asking prices for the remaining players are absurd.  I would be pissed if the Sox gave Bum 100 million or Ryu 80 million.  They aren't worth that.  They are better off trying to work a deal.

Edited by BackDoorBreach
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

I mean, do you love the idea of giving MBum 5 years? Keuchel 4 years? Ryu 4 years? Ozuna and Castellanos 5 years?

exactly why they may be exploring trades

24 minutes ago, poppysox said:

This seems like sanity.  I think people forget that Giolito & Kopech are most likely aces and Cease looks like a plus 2.  That’s insane and cost-controlled for 6 years.  What we need is competent innings when those guys aren’t pitching or reach their limits.  Not having 3/5 of the rotation as total gas cans is going to make such a difference this year.  We’d have to forfeit games to not be .500 this year. 

6 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I mean, do you love the idea of giving MBum 5 years? Keuchel 4 years? Ryu 4 years? Ozuna and Castellanos 5 years?

exactly why they may be exploring trades

Trades cost players.  Hahn has shown when he deals young players, he tends to get schooled, especially if it is for an "impact" player.  Do I love the above ideas?  No, but for the love they have been pocketing $30 million plus the last 2-3 years.  Over pay for two of them and you are still ahead.  I'm tired of this acting like a freaking poor team.  If you pay Bum $100 for 5 and Keuchel for 4 / $70, you could move either of them 2 years in if your young kids are ready and rolling.  You have two guys that have been stars and won rings.  Maybe you don't spend as much on RF but watch the postseason.  You need pitching.  Get it done already.

10 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

I mean, some of the alleged asking prices for the remaining players are absurd.  I would be pissed if the Sox gave Bum 100 million or Ryu 80 million.  They aren't worth that.  They are better off trying to work a deal.

For who that can make an impact?  Are you going to trust Rick to pluck a gem out of someone else's system when he seems to deal his own?  For an impact player it isn't going to be Collins, Basabe, and all of the unknowns.  It's going to be Madrigal, Vaughn, etc unless again, we are looking at a 4-5 starter with little upside.  They have money.

3 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

For who that can make an impact?  Are you going to trust Rick to pluck a gem out of someone else's system when he seems to deal his own?  For an impact player it isn't going to be Collins, Basabe, and all of the unknowns.  It's going to be Madrigal, Vaughn, etc unless again, we are looking at a 4-5 starter with little upside.  They have money.

The floated prices are absurd. 

teams do not pay for past performance, and MBum at 5 years and Keuchel at 4 would be obvious desperation by the Sox. This is not the only shot at free agency they will ever have, and trade negotiations are healthy and natural. 

1 minute ago, steveno89 said:

The floated prices are absurd. 

teams do not pay for past performance, and MBum at 5 years and Keuchel at 4 would be obvious desperation by the Sox. This is not the only shot at free agency they will ever have, and trade negotiations are healthy and natural. 

So am I the only one that is tired of wait til next year?  Prices too high, this player didn't want our money, we offered the most per year......do we really think the perfect storm is about to arise?  Are you really comfortable if Ryu, Keuchel, Bum are all gone, Ozuna and Castellanos sign and we end up with scraps like we tend to?  This seriously isn't impatience just this offseason but the whole narrative.  I feel like the Blackhawks before Bill Wertz passed on.  Again I ask what are these impact players you are going to get via trade?

15 minutes ago, Wisebri224 said:

Trades cost players.  Hahn has shown when he deals young players, he tends to get schooled, especially if it is for an "impact" player. 

He’s made one poor deal involving a young player, he whom shall not be named.

One bad deal is not a track record.

4 minutes ago, hi8is said:

He’s made one poor deal involving a young player, he whom shall not be named.

One bad deal is not a track record.

Ummm....unnamed player and uh Marcus Semien?  I would say an 8 WAR player is decent.  The big trades are looking good but again, when it is unknown players, what is his track record?  I so hope I'm wrong, but I guess I'll just zip it and be content waiting for the perfect deal:)

• Texsox locked this topic