Favorite "Bounce Back"/Savvy Pitcher FA Candidates

bmags

He seems to be getting a decent amount of traction now and haven’t seen us as a rumor but Lindblom makes a lot of sense to me. Will be extremely cheap (relatively speaking) and always had legit big league stuff. 

Not a ton of other options out there that haven’t been mentioned yet...Wacha the name is interesting but don’t think he has much left. 

Suppose we could kick the tires on Yamaguchi from Japan....

A lot of times when these guys have bad years, it's due to a loss of control; Porcello had the same walk rate last year that he usually has.  That suggests command issues and/or declining stuff.  Ks were way down.  I would assume a skilled evaluator watching film could probably get a good idea of whether the problem is mechanics that can be fixed or just decline.

Miley and Bailey aren't really bounce back guys - last year was as good as it gets for those 2. Can they keep it going?

18 minutes ago, bmags said:

This thread isn't intended to mean that. There are always interesting lower level pitchers that end up outperforming, and quite frankly soxtalk has been pretty good at identifying some each year.

We were way off on henderson alvarez though.

I know that they are trying to change the culture as a part of the rebuild, but its just so fucking hard to look the other way on stuff like this.

In Rick Hahn's time as GM, there have been more "cutout bin bargains" than signings that actually helped the team.

Its just so damn hard to NOT be a pessimistic troll when it comes to this stuff.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, bmags said:

Why I love these threads, I had not heard a thing about lindblom (or it had not resonated). That would be really interesting, would be a really fun spring training follow.

I think his name has been thrown around a few times here but just didn’t resonate.

“Lindblom has sported 35-7 record, a 2.69 ERA while tossing 346 strikeouts to 108 earned runs through 362.4 innings pitched over that length of time.”

KBO has been notoriously hitter friendly up until this year. If you look at his KBO stats from his first stint (2015-16) vs second, you’d notice marked improvements there, so it’s completely possible he’d fare better back in MLB this time around. I read that his improvements are attributed to his now elite spin on his four seamer, now more than 2600RPM, and ditching his ineffective two seamer from before.

Though I haven’t heard any rumors of him tied tho Sox yet, and the Astros supposedly have him as one of their main targets.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How is he a bounce-back candidate when he was Top 5 in MLB strikeouts?

He’s in the “be wary of overpaying/extending”  based on his 2019 season category.

" Over the past two years, Ray produced elite strikeout numbers, comparable to the Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, and Max Scherzer. The reason Ray is available for trade, though, is that he’s not particularly good at the other side of pitching: keeping guys off base. His K-BB% is mediocre, just a tick above the 18% median of the 91 pitchers in that plot. His walk rate is dead last in this set! That delta highlights how much Ray struggles to find the plate, even when he has very real swing-and-miss stuff.  That’s the tweak the Yankees feel like they can make if they land Ray. "

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/12/8/20999649/yankees-offseason-trade-pitching-robbie-ray-arizona-diamondbacks-cole-happ-german

2 minutes ago, tray said:

" Over the past two years, Ray produced elite strikeout numbers, comparable to the Justin Verlander, Gerrit Cole, and Max Scherzer. The reason Ray is available for trade, though, is that he’s not particularly good at the other side of pitching: keeping guys off base. His K-BB% is mediocre, just a tick above the 18% median of the 91 pitchers in that plot. His walk rate is dead last in this set! That delta highlights how much Ray struggles to find the plate, even when he has very real swing-and-miss stuff.  That’s the tweak the Yankees feel like they can make if they land Ray. "

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2019/12/8/20999649/yankees-offseason-trade-pitching-robbie-ray-arizona-diamondbacks-cole-happ-german

But you have the same problem with Betts...trade real assets and then extend him for $135-150 million?   Because that’s roughly what it would take.

Theres even less starting pitching on the market next year.   Supply, meet demand.

4 hours ago, Charlie Haeger's Knuckles said:

dumpster diving... such a white sox thing.

dumpster-rick.jpg

This.  A day into the winter meetings and this is already the discussion.  It is sad, but it is reality.  I appreciated the effort on Wheeler, but that may be the only thing with prices being "too much"

4 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Tajuan Walker and Alex Wood are a top my list. Jimmy Nelson also grabs my attention, though I'm not fully aware of what exactly was wrong with him injury wise.

I think I like Walker. He did pitch in the last game of the year though I don't know of any reports. Many people bring up Wood who missed most the year with back issues and tried returning only to go out with  back issues. Without hearing what has been done for his back giving him anything is probably a waste. I spent thirty years dealing with my back trying to golf. Pitching hurt also. 

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

But you have the same problem with Betts...trade real assets and then extend him for $135-150 million?   Because that’s roughly what it would take.

Theres even less starting pitching on the market next year.   Supply, meet demand.

$135-150 million for Betts? He’s going to get WAY more than that in free agency. 

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

$135-150 million for Betts? He’s going to get WAY more than that in free agency. 

Robbie Ray.

God knows what his market for a long-term extension would be...and how much the DBacks would expect in talent/return.

It's a logical name because he's younger than most of the big name FA starting pitchers on the market next year...but that's about it.

5 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Robbie Ray.

God knows what his market for a long-term extension would be...and how much the DBacks would expect in talent/return.

It's a logical name because he's younger than most of the big name FA starting pitchers on the market next year...but that's about it.

I wouldn’t feel great about giving Ray anywhere near 135-150 million long term. He’s a solid #4 on a good team. 3/60 if I had to guess?

• Like 1