Ryu to Jays - 4 yr/80 mil

ron883

Back in my youth I traveled around the Midwest to play Street Fighter competitively. Gala West in Naperville was absolutely epic on Friday and Saturday nights. At 11, there were few things more satisfying than kicking the shit out of adults at a game. Best character: Guile. Favorite character: Dhalsim

I transitioned over to Mortal Kombat, but was never quite at the same level in that game.

Then I discovered weed, booze and girls and my priorities changed 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

Back in my youth I traveled around the Midwest to play Street Fighter competitively. Gala West in Naperville was absolutely epic on Friday and Saturday nights. At 11, there were few things more satisfying than kicking the shit out of adults at a game. Best character: Guile. Favorite character: Dhalsim

I transitioned over to Mortal Kombat, but was never quite at the same level in that game.

Then I discovered weed, booze and girls and my priorities changed 

We have similar backgrounds, although my "competitive" playing was pretty unofficial. I was a Blanka/Guile guy.  Ah the era of the "public arcade" -- when kids challenged strangers in person in front of an audience rather than over the internet - we'll never see its likes again.  (Although we do have gaming tournaments in stadiums that hold thousands).

Ok, White Sox. It's time to get a fucking plan together here. Not adding a SP was not an option. You don't miss on Wheeler and just say "fuck it" after signing a 31 year old catcher to the richest deal in team history.

Also, the fact that that was the richest deal in team history shows we've been on the sidelines doing jack squat for far too long.

Edited by Steve9347
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 8:43 AM, bmags said:

I think the team that goes 4 years for Ryu probably gets him...and that's a big decision.

and if its not us, then we got taken for a buggy ride  with THE MONEY WILL BE SPENT quote. Instead of Jerry opening the wallet and signing Hyun-Jin Ryu,  it will more like us saying to our free agent starting pitching hopes of signing   "Hu - Slung Dung"!!!!          answer.  Jerry!!!!   He  buys a team for 155 mil.   currently worth 1.8 BIL. raises  ticket and concessions  prices....and still No money dished  out for a quality starter. OOPs  my bad   we got Detwiler.  His WAR should be plus 20  right?.   BUTTTTTTT  The money WILL BE SPENT!  Sling some more dung Jerry...…..as long as you don't have to let the cobwebs out of your wallet.      

• Like 1

From MLB Trade Rumors... https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/12/pitching-notes-ryu-keuchel-ray-king-felix.html

Hyun-Jin Ryu is very arguably the top starter remaining on the free-agent market, though his injury history is a clear red flag despite the southpaw’s dominant showing over the past couple of seasons. The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal reported earlier this week that Ryu was “expected” to top four years and $80MM on his next contract, but on this morning’s appearance on MLB Network’s Hot Stove show (video link), Rosenthal indicated that multiple teams have since told him they were immediately skeptical of that price point: “I heard from a couple of clubs yesterday that said ’That’s not going to happen — not with that medical history.'”

Certainly, that doesn’t rule out the possibility of a four-year pact for Ryu, but the pushback serves to underscore what makes Ryu such a polarizing free agent. The 32-year-old (33 in March) has a 2.21 ERA over his past 265 innings and a 2.71 ERA in 391 2/3 innings dating back to 2017. On a per-inning basis, he’s among the market’s elite options, but Ryu’s age and injury history likely have some teams steering clear of him on any type of notable multi-year arrangement. It only takes one team to push to four years, but to this point, his realistic price tag is hard to pin down.

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s pretty clear that Boras is pushing for four years for both Ryu & Keuchel and having a hard time to find a taker.  Our lack of activity probably suggests we are pursuing at least one of these guys and playing the slow game with Boras.

Well one of these times that will work....right?....right?....uugghhh!!

2 minutes ago, wegner said:

Well one of these times that will work....right?....right?....uugghhh!!

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It’s pretty clear that Boras is pushing for four years for both Ryu & Keuchel and having a hard time to find a taker.  Our lack of activity probably suggests we are pursuing at least one of these guys and playing the slow game with Boras.

makes sense. This year's FA market has been very active early on. But Boras held out till the end last year and he may try and extend this until a team caves in. 

The Sox need to bolster their pitching staff and shouldn't let one year get in their way. They were never in the hunt for Cole or Strasman and they missed out on Wheeler. If you can extend Abreu, you sign either Ryu or Keuchel. This isn't "going all in." This would demonstrate to the fans that team wants to at least get over the .500 mark and stop the losing. The playoffs can come later. One thing at a time. Just do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

As time goes on, I wonder if 4 years at a lower AAV would get it done...something like 4/$68M.  I would guess the there are three year offers out there in the $55M/$60M range.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

The Sox need to bolster their pitching staff and shouldn't let one year get in their way. They were never in the hunt for Cole or Strasman and they missed out on Wheeler. If you can extend Abreu, you sign either Ryu or Keuchel. This isn't "going all in." This would demonstrate to the fans that team wants to at least get over the .500 mark and stop the losing. The playoffs can come later. One thing at a time. Just do it.

I was really hoping we would sign Strasman

23 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

As time goes on, I wonder if 4 years at a lower AAV would get it done...something like 4/$68M.  I would guess the there are three year offers out there in the $55M/$60M range.

It sounds to me like Ryu is trying to adjust to the market's direction for BOTH money and years.

I took that blurb above to mean that the market is telling him he is worth far less than 20 per year.  I would consider something like 18 in the ballpark of 20.  That sounded to me like teams were in the 15-16 range.  That seems fairly logical in the context of the Bumgarner contract.

• knightni changed the title to Ryu to Jays - 4 yrs /80 mil
  • knightni changed the title to Ryu to Jays - 4 yr/80 mil