Sign in to follow this  
Yearnin' for Yermin

Ryu to Jays - 4 yr/80 mil

Yeah the numbers seem right, if you want a solid #3 it'll cost you $70m.

Ryu (33 years old) is looking at his final contract. I can see him already getting offers for 3/50. Most likely still negotiating with teams to get that guaranteed 4th year. (4/70)

Not buying the 4/80 claim by Ken

Edited by scotty22hotty

19 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

Yeah the numbers seem right, if you want a solid #3 it'll cost you $70m.

Ryu (33 years old) is looking at his final contract. I can see him already getting offers for 3/50. Most likely still negotiating with teams to get that guaranteed 4th year. (4/70)

Not buying the 4/80 claim by Ken

Knowing the Sox (if they are even bothering) they will offer a ridiculous incentive laden deal. 

8 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Knowing the Sox (if they are even bothering) they will offer a ridiculous incentive laden deal. 

Just like they did with Zack Wheeler, right? 

• Thanks 2

On 12/14/2019 at 9:39 AM, Jack Parkman said:

Ah, yes....more StreetFighter II references. 

If you remember, Ken and Ryu were basically the same character....no difference between them. Ken had the Haudoken as well. 

No, Ken’s shoryyken uppercut moved across the screen, while Ryu’s went straight up, covering far less distance.  Which made Ryu a pale imitation of the guy you really wanted.  Wait...

6 minutes ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

So do you go 4 years for Ryu if that's what it takes?

I really don't know, it would depend how confident they are in someone else. I suppose the one benefit is if he can't pitch he likely can't play and you are getting at least 70% of that deal on insurance, and we don't have lux tax concerns.

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I'd go to a 4th year option that kicks in at some minimal 18 starts in the 3rd year.

Probably need a considerable buyout for that to be attractive.

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

I think the team that goes 4 years for Ryu probably gets him...and that's a big decision.

I think a few teams will go 4 . After that it's the AAV and location preference .

47 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Ryu has much more risk than Wheeler IMO. 

I'm not sure he does. He's older for sure but Wheeler has an extensive injury history as well 

10 minutes ago, bmags said:

Probably need a considerable buyout for that to be attractive.

Yeah, I don't think I'd go to the 4th year without some incentive in the 3rd year of actually being able to pitch. If Ryu dies in year 2, that would just hurt this teams window too much to hold him for two more dead years. Even if the buyout was 5-7 million that would be fine. 

49 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Ryu has much more risk than Wheeler IMO. 

Ryu is coming off of a 2nd place Cy Young finish and has almost the same amount of time injured as Wheeler.

Just thinking...the Sox welcomed Korean "Babe Ruth" Man Soo Lee to the org in the 80s/90s?  But have never signed a Korean player have they? This org is just odd.

5 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not sure he does. He's older for sure but Wheeler has an extensive injury history as well 

Wheeler absolutely has risk. But I’d bet more on the 33 year old with husky build having more issues in the near future.

4 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

No, Ken’s shoryyken uppercut moved across the screen, while Ryu’s went straight up, covering far less distance.  Which made Ryu a pale imitation of the guy you really wanted.  Wait...

Ryu had a better Hadouken than Ken.  That's the difference between them, uppercut vs fireball.

Edited by pettie4sox
  • Haha 1

I just dont get it. Its gonna take 4 years to get Ryu. Period. We have pages and pages of how bad Hahn sucks, sitting on his hands, not going out and getting pitching. Yet we debate whether or not it's worth it to go a fourth year on Ryu, even the guys who've been adamant about the last years of a pitchers deal being the price you pay for pitching. It's ok for us, but if Hahn absolutely doesnt want to go 4 years and doesnt sign him because that's what it takes, then do we just go back to complaining about how hes not getting any pitching?

• Thanks 1

Being too risk averse, makes your team win averse.

Yes, giving him 4 years is probably crazy. But so is giving Wheeler 5 years and $125 million, and this guy was the better pitcher. 

If you are going to sign someone near the top of the free agent class, you aren't going to get a bargain. If the Sox need some sort of obvious "value" on every signing, their signings will be guys closer to the bottom than the top. 

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 1