Nomar Mazara Speculation

Sleepy Harold

2 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

Sox fans: DO SOMETHING, DO ANYTHING

Sox do something

Sox fans: NOT THAT

When I say they should do anything, I meant Rick Hahn should start a barbershop quartet with Jerry, Kenny and Ricky.

That would be better than getting Mazara and deluding themselves that he will be a good player for some reason.

Edited by GermanSoxFan
  • Like 1

Just now, NCsoxfan said:

This is exactly the kind of deal we should expect. Hahn and company have shown they either won’t or can’t land top talent. The result is continuing to collect blah players. Keep the fans just happy enough to think there’s a chance of hope one day. SSDD.

That's exactly what Sampson described. Rabbit/Carrot syndrome. 

This is 100% a rabbit/carrot move. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

5 minutes ago, Orlando said:

I think this happens 100% the usual reporters are saying it’s happening 

I don't think Merk jumps in quite like that if its not basically done. 

I don't mind rolling the dice on Mazara.  Trade return is going to be the real question. 

I also don't quite understand the timing - this a deal I would be doing after options 1-8 or whatever are exhausted.  Hard to do that by December 10th.  

Edited by ChiSox59

5 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

Sox do something

Sox fans, at least intelligent ones, want good players...  not mediocre ones.

Mazara is a ~.750 OPS right fielder with bad defense.  All he has going for him is youth (turning 25 at the beginning of the season).

This isn’t the type of move anyone was expecting when we kept hearing, “The money will be spent.”

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

If this means investing heavily in other areas I’m good with it, he should be cheap and still has big upside.  Probably won’t kill you even on a good team regardless. 

But...this means we really need to invest in SP (FA or eating salary).  I guess we could also hit the reliever market hard. 

4 minutes ago, DurhamStance said:

Sox do something

I always love when people say stuff like this.  In the history of sports, every fan base to ever fan base does this as a whole, it's not specific to the Sox.  The difference being, if any fan base has the right to be pissed it's White Sox fans.

And my comment has nothing to do with this move in particular as it's not official and I have no clue what they'd give up, it's just funny to me how much the last few days on Twitter or here Sox fans are picking on Sox fans for being too negative.

7 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

How do you look at our RF situation and then look at Mazara and see a fix?

Exactly.  How is the defense of this potential acquisition that we still have to see what the Sox give up for him?

Mazara is still mediocre.  😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, oldsox said:

Mazara has been very consistent the last four years, so you know what you're getting. .260ish BA, .775ish OPS, 20 or so jacks, no speed, poor defense.

But he's still young enough that improvement is possible. 

As long as we're not giving up much.

• Love 1

Just now, oldsox said:

Mazara has been very consistent the last four years, so you know what you're getting. .260ish BA, .775ish OPS, 20 or so jacks, no speed, poor defense.

Even with being consistent, he's still a below 100 wRC+ hitter for his career. He's nothing special to this point. Sad thing is it's still an improvement over what's been there. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Nomar Mazara Speculation
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic