Nomar Mazara Speculation

Sleepy Harold

9 minutes ago, MyNamesRod said:

I would not. Both aren’t any good so why not grab the guy that has a small chance of breaking out? Calhoun isn’t going to take the Sox to the playoffs so there’s no point. 

Because one only costs money

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I mean... you're holding being in the big leagues by the same age as Walker was as a sophomore in college against him. 

Walker would have been significantly worse in the MLB even last year than mazara was as a 20 year old.

It doesn’t matter much now.  Mazara has proven himself to be mediocre over 4 seasons in the majors and now has less years of control and will be more expensive than Walker.  We would be doing the Rangers a favor giving them anyone of value for Mazara.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

But with less years of control and 4 years of offensive and defensive mediocrity.

He has had his moments offensively.  Obviously Texas is a hitter’s paradise, and 24 year olds who  were top 10 prospects usually don’t get moved unless something has really gone haywire. This guy could be what he is or maybe he breaks out. Depends on the price. Walker,Rutherford, someone like that the main piece with Fulmer of Flores If I were the GM, I would say done.

2 minutes ago, Soxfest said:

Mazara not much of a upgrade in RF

I mean, a 0.75 fWAR RF is a huge upgrade over last season.  But I hear ya.  Weird for the Sox to seemingly settle for a guy that sucks defensively and is only controlled for 2 years at this point in the offseason.  Mazara is a guy you grab in February when all other options didn't work out. 

But if the return is Fulmer + Gonzalez, its whatever for me.  Would be great to see them bring in a nice platoon option for him I guess, but that is probably Leury/Engel. 

Edited by ChiSox59

2 minutes ago, ChiSox1917 said:

Who is this guy?

If they trade Walker for Mazara, that is a massive overpay

Rangers beat guy for MLB. Also Miami backed out of trading for Mazara because the price was too high on him so they actually want higher end prospects back.

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

It doesn’t matter much now.  Mazara has proven himself to be mediocre over 4 seasons in the majors and now has less years of control and will be more expensive than Walker.  We would be doing the Rangers a favor giving them anyone of value for Mazara.

Walker wasn't even worthy of the big leagues at the same age. 

I get the control argument, but control only matters if the guy is actually gonna make it.

Maybe they'd be doing them a favor and maybe mazara improves as a 25 year old. That wouldnt be a crazy thing. 

Is it possible this is a perfect time to buy low on Mazara? He was a top prospect at one time, yes higher regarded than Steele (who I do really like). Dunno, but buying low sometimes is a good deal. If you think the guy just sucks that's fine, but I am not convinced he does. Obviously, I wouldn't want to trade Steele and Stiever, that's a massive overpay, but one may be fair and then a lottery ticket type.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Nomar Mazara Speculation
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic