Nomar Mazara Speculation

Sleepy Harold

People act like the Sox think that the way he has played is good and that it's what they hope to get from him. Acquiring him is taking a bet that in his age 25 season he might tap into some of his physical gifts. It's not that complicated and it's not that crazy of a bet.

Just now, Jake said:

People act like the Sox think that the way he has played is good and that it's what they hope to get from him. Acquiring him is taking a bet that in his age 25 season he might tap into some of his physical gifts. It's not that complicated and it's not that crazy of a bet.

Sure he taps into his gifts and is a FA in 2022 and meanwhile the Sox gave up assets for him.  It's a stupid idea for many reasons.  

Just now, Jake said:

This was supposed to be the offseason that the Sox finally spend the money that they haven’t for years of losing during the rebuild on established players with expected performances.

Not acquire fliers and hope they magically perform.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jake said:

People are acting like the White Sox should be beyond the "hoping a guy turns it around" phase and should be acquiring proven good players to help them get over the hump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let's find out the price before we go crazy here. What do you like more, 5 years and $100 million for Nick Castellanos or Kodi Heuer for 2 years of Mazara (second year non-guaranteed) at a maximum of about $16M?

I think it's quite plausible we could roll the dice on a guy like this *and* bring in a Castellanos or JD Martinez type player who you plan to DH but could go to RF if Mazara doesn't work out

• Like 1

As many of us have said, settling for Mazara to fill the hole in RF, even if only vs RHP, could be acceptable, if the money is used to acquire other more significant pieces. If that move were to end up being the Sox 2ND most impactful move of the off season, I doubt that anyone would consider the off season a success.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Let's find out the price before we go crazy here. What do you like more, 5 years and $100 million for Nick Castellanos or Kodi Heuer for 2 years of Mazara (second year non-guaranteed) at a maximum of about $16M?

I think it's quite plausible we could roll the dice on a guy like this *and* bring in a Castellanos or JD Martinez type player who you plan to DH but could go to RF if Mazara doesn't work out

I would have no issue giving up a AA reliever who is showing some promise for this player.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

More like management needs to grow a pair of balls step up to the table take a chance and land a proven free agent by paying the money out versus shopping at the dollar store 

I really don't get why people think the Sox aren't willing to spend money. They just spent 74 million on Grandal and they had the highest offer to Wheeler, and they almost spent 300 million last offseason. It's not about money right now.

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

The price is giving Nomar Mazara 450 PA and 900 innings in RF. It's very unlikely he's going to bust, but just as unlikely he's going to be better than a meh player. He's an improvement over the AAAA filler that's been thrown out in RF recently, but he is just lefty Avi.

Just now, Jake said:

I want the guy who I know will perform during the Sox window of competition, not a flier.  Money shouldn’t be the overriding issue this offseason, talent should be.

Also, if your second paragraph is truly the way you think the Sox work, you haven’t been paying attention.  That isn’t “quite plausible” at all with this front office.

4 minutes ago, Jake said:

There’s no way Castellanos is getting 5/100... 4/70 max. 

3 minutes ago, Jake said:

So let’s say you do this trade for Mazara and if you bring in a piece like Castellanos or JD Martinez to be a DH type player where would that leave you with when it comes time for Vaughn to come up and you have to move Abreu to DH? 

1 minute ago, Lillian said:

As many of us have said, settling for Mazara to fill the hole in RF, even if only vs RHP, could be acceptable, if the money is used to acquire other more significant pieces. If that move were to end up being the Sox 2ND most impactful move of the off season, I doubt that anyone would consider the off season a success.

Agree, this has the potential to be a good move in some contexts. If it even happens. Lots of overreaction happening. If this is all RH does, then...yeah, it sucks (I still think it sucks less than some seem to, though).

Just now, HahnsKiddieTable said:

So let’s say you do this trade for Mazara and if you bring in a piece like Castellanos or JD Martinez to be a DH type player where would that leave you with when it comes time for Vaughn to come up and you have to move Abreu to DH? 

There's a good chance that Mazara is non-tendered after 2020. All he has to do is continue doing exactly what he's done so far.

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

The price is giving Nomar Mazara 450 PA and 900 innings in RF. It's very unlikely he's going to bust, but just as unlikely he's going to be better than a meh player. He's an improvement over the AAAA filler that's been thrown out in RF recently, but he is just lefty Avi.

Is lefty Avi really that bad in an otherwise competent lineup?

Just now, ScooterMcGee said:

I really don't get why people think the Sox aren't willing to spend money. They just spent 74 million on Grandal and they had the highest offer to Wheeler, and they almost spent 300 million last offseason. It's not about money right now.

It wasn’t $300 million, it was $250 million guaranteed and the Sox don’t spend money when contracts aren’t agreed to.

They are still a far cry away from spending that Machado money.

1 minute ago, ScooterMcGee said:

Congrats you spent 74 mil on one player you did something that 99% of baseball teams have done in the past..... and missed out twice on 2 other premium free agents that were your top pieces to help transform this rebuild. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

They're not going to ALSO bring in Castellanos, Ozuna or JDM.

This is the White Sox we're talking about here.

We'll get someone like Calhoun or Puig whose market collapses on a one-year deal, or one plus a realistically achievable option.

5 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There's a good chance that Mazara is non-tendered after 2020. All he has to do is continue doing exactly what he's done so far.

And if he plays well, then who cares if you have too many good players? But more likely that Vaughn isn't ready to go until partway into the final year of control for Mazara anyway

Kaplan talking on NBC Sports right now advocating for Walker for Mazara and then a signing of Castellanos. Garfein is saying that’s “unrealistic”. Kaplan replies “why not they have tons of money!”  I never thought I’d say this but Kaplan is refreshing. He’s not a water carrier like Duber or Garfein.

• Love 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

They're not going to ALSO bring in Castellanos, Ozuna or JDM.

This is the White Sox we're talking about here.

We'll get someone like Calhoun or Puig whose market collapses on a one-year deal, or one plus a realistically achievable option.

Yes this is what I was getting at. If u get Mazara and that’s your big splash for power then management has a lot of explaining to do 

I should also say that it seems inaccurate to call him left-handed Avi Garcia because Avi is clearly more accomplished and a safer bet. If handedness isn't an important consideration, I'd happily give Avi a two-year deal to fill that hole and fix the mistake we made in cutting him last year.

15 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

He’d be a platoon player with the potential, at 24 years old, to develop more. If the majority of his AB’s are against RHP, there’s nothing disappointing about that. He’s very productive. 

What about him is productive? He's been a below average hitter all four years of his career. He's been a below average defender all four years of his career. He's had over 2000PA to improve and had essentially the same season every year.

He's a post-hype change-of-scenery candidate. To acquire him now for anything significant would be embarrassingly bad. To acquire him for next-to-nothing would be fine except that it would be settling for a sub-1 WAR player as a RF upgrade in early December when several WAY better players are still available in FA. 

• Like 2

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Nomar Mazara Speculation
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic