Nomar Mazara Speculation

Sleepy Harold

9 minutes ago, HahnsKiddieTable said:

Congrats you spent 74 mil on one player you did something that 99% of baseball teams have done in the past..... and missed out twice on 2 other premium free agents that were your top pieces to help transform this rebuild. 

We almost spent on Torii Hunter, almost acquired A-Rod, almost acquired Miguel Cabrera, ALMOST acquired Tanaka....the list goes on and on and on.

I guess if they have enough Sox fans brainwashed that they're trying REALLY REALLY hard, they must believe they'll get a break from them for giving it the 'ol college try.

Knowing the White Sox luck, they'll take pitch framing away from Grandal sooner rather than later.

Edited by caulfield12

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

Kaplan talking on NBC Sports right now advocating for Walker for Mazara and then a signing of Castellanos. Garfein is saying that’s “unrealistic”. Kaplan replies “why not they have tons of money!”  I never thought I’d say this but Kaplan is refreshing. He’s not a water carrier like Duber or Garfein.

Kaplan is right for once.  Meanwhile, Garfein is simply toting the company line.

I have no doubt the Sox are only targeting one bat for RF/DH, not two.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Kaplan is right for once.  Garfein is toting the company line.

I have no doubt the Sox are only targeting one bat for RF/DH, not two.

Have felt for a few days now that the beat writers have been told there won’t be any FA signings on offense

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

We almost spent on Torii Hunter, almost acquired A-Rod, almost acquired Miguel Cabrera, ALMOST acquired Tanaka....the list goes on and on and on.

I guess if they have enough Sox fans brainwashed that they're trying REALLY REALLY hard, they must believe they'll get a break from them for giving it the 'ol college try.

Knowing the White Sox luck, they'll take pitch framing away from Grandal sooner rather than later.

We did get Albert Belle and he raked!

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

They are more attractive than Mazara.

Well I will say this: I think Avi Garcia is clearly a more attractive option if you want to maximize the probability of having a player who produces more than 1 WAR in RF without vastly overpaying for it.

Castellanos and Ozuna are both solid players but each has some problems and you'll be eating a lot of risk to bring them in. I don't think the Sox are well-situated to absorb some of those risks but I won't be mad if we do go after them.

2 minutes ago, Sox80 said:

If the Sox end up not doing anything more this offseason.  No one better defend this front office or ownership again. 

This. Nothing screams kicking the can down the road for contention more than a move like this and being content with it.

image.jpeg

me yelling at management right now....no marbles 

Still not seeing the point of giving up talent when you could have Avi, Gardner, Puig or Calhoun and only only commit to spending money for one year (or two, if they outperform.)

If he does do well, then what are the odds that we can keep him from going into FA with Boras as his agent?

Then you're in the very heart of your contention window and you're having to dip back into free agency or trusting the position to a Walker, Adolfo or Rutherford (compare those guys to someone like Kyle Tucker, who the Astros broke in selectively.)

Plus, the odds are at least 50/50 that at least one of Betts OR Springer won't even be available on the market at this time next year...

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

What about him is productive? He's been a below average hitter all four years of his career. He's been a below average defender all four years of his career. He's had over 2000PA to improve and had essentially the same season every year.

He's a post-hype change-of-scenery candidate. To acquire him now for anything significant would be embarrassingly bad. To acquire him for next-to-nothing would be fine except that it would be settling for a sub-1 WAR player as a RF upgrade in early December when several WAY better players are still available in FA. 

Against RHP he is. That’s what’s productive. He’s not my choice and I’m not in love with the move (If finalizes). But if used correctly and platooned, he could be productive. That’s just the truth based on the numbers. 

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Nomar Mazara Speculation
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic