Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Just don’t understand the urgency to make this particular move right now. 

Sox clearly have liked Mazara for a while, and if so many teams were pushing for him, the time was now. I think we should all wait and see what’s next instead of going nuts. Rather see Mazara than Kole in RF.

• Like 6

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker; Per WSD and Others
  • Chisoxfn pinned this topic
2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox clearly have liked Mazara for a while, and if so many teams were pushing for him, the time was now. I think we should all wait and see what’s next instead of going nuts. Rather see Mazara than Kole in RF.

This. Don't judge anything in the vacuum of one move.  On paper, I don't have any issue with this deal and could see many scenarios where it pans out.  A year ago people were calling Moncada a bust and now he is one of the best players in baseball.  Not saying Mazara will have that same "switch" flip, but lets not pretend that he doesn't have potential upside and worse case we are talking about a young, solid platoon guy.  If the Sox like them and the change of scenery works, who is to say they can't extent him a year from now or even 2 years from now.  

• Like 3

Takeaways:

Sox went aggressively after targets that made sense that we’re not represented by Boras. (Wheeler and Grandal). When Wheeler didn’t pan out, they shifted to cheap players with control and upside that wouldn’t cost top prospects. That doesn’t leave you with many options.

Edited by Orlando

Really interesting quotes from Bill James on Mazara from 2018.

https://www.fantraxhq.com/2018-player-profile-nomar-mazara/

Nomar Mazara – Big Shoes to Fill

When Bill James calls his shot, saying a player is “the next Albert Pujols, Miguel Cabrera-type hitter,” people listen. When he says that player is 22-year-old Rangers outfielder Nomar Mazara, people immediately start to wonder what he knows that we don’t. For those who don’t know who Bill James is, he is basically the O.G. of baseball analytics. He revolutionized the game and its use of advanced stats and sabermetrics. James, on a recent MLB Network interview, said “I love Nomar Mazara. I think he is a guy who has a chance to be a triple crown winner.” Incredibly high praise from one of the most respected analysts of all time. However, it’s also a little perplexing considering Mazara hasn’t exactly dazzled in his first two major league seasons.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic