Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

lol we gave up our #6 prospect for a guy who hasn't hit 1 WAR in 2 years. Terrible.

Number 6 prospect who’s only a year younger than the MLB 24 year old we acquired. In fact, their splits are pretty similar, except one did it in Texas. The other in Winston Salem. 

Let’s put this in perspective people. Good god. 

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, RudyLawRules said:

Really interesting quotes from Bill James on Mazara from 2018.

https://www.fantraxhq.com/2018-player-profile-nomar-mazara/

Nomar Mazara – Big Shoes to Fill

When Bill James calls his shot, saying a player is “the next Albert Pujols, Miguel Cabrera-type hitter,” people listen. When he says that player is 22-year-old Rangers outfielder Nomar Mazara, people immediately start to wonder what he knows that we don’t. For those who don’t know who Bill James is, he is basically the O.G. of baseball analytics. He revolutionized the game and its use of advanced stats and sabermetrics. James, on a recent MLB Network interview, said “I love Nomar Mazara. I think he is a guy who has a chance to be a triple crown winner.” Incredibly high praise from one of the most respected analysts of all time. However, it’s also a little perplexing considering Mazara hasn’t exactly dazzled in his first two major league seasons.

That was 2 seasons ago.  2 seasons later he still fucking sucks.

• Like 2

Just now, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Number 6 prospect who’s only a year younger than the MLB 24 year old we acquired. In fact, their splits are pretty similar, except one did it in Texas. The other in Winston Salem. 

2 years of control for Mazara.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Sox clearly have liked Mazara for a while, and if so many teams were pushing for him, the time was now. I think we should all wait and see what’s next instead of going nuts. Rather see Mazara than Kole in RF.

What could possibly be next?  We just traded a top 10 prospect for a guy with <2 career fWAR over four seasons.  I can’t even imagine what a good player will actually cost us via trade.  I’m literally speechless at how bad this move is.  What the fuck is the money going to be spent on at this point?

Just now, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

I never, ever understood the Walker love. He looked bad in CF also in the games I saw.  Maybe it’s me, but I think we are set in CF.

• Like 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Great post.  These are the facts right now regardless of what you think about Mazara’s upside for the whole two years we have him.

Yes great post?? Walker is 23 and in Winston Salem posting similar stats as Mazara who’s been in the majors for several season and is 24. One sucks. The other is a travesty to lose. SMH...

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What could possibly be next?  We just traded a top 10 prospect for a guy with <2 career fWAR over four seasons.  I can’t even imagine what a good player will actually cost us via trade.  I’m literally speechless at how bad this move is.  What the fuck is the money going to be spent on at this point?

Third tier starting pitchers?

Edited by Moan4Yoan

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

Also if it’s just Walker, who is basically Mazara except in A ball, I think that’s preferable to giving Ozuna money for 4 years. Would have rather explored Marte and Nikki tho

This Mazara / Walker comp is bizarre and needs to stop.  I get they both struggle against LHP, but that’s where the comparisons end.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

I never, ever understood the Walker love. He looked bad in CF also in the games I saw.  Maybe it’s me, but I think we are set in CF.

I also have a notion that the White Sox may not be as appealing of a free agency destination than many would like to think. Maybe we weren’t getting positive feedback from the FA targets. 

Just now, fathom said:

Yes and they tried last deadline IIRC

This is the problem with Kenny and Hahn over the years.  They get obsessed with their flier targets that they think will turn into studs and never get over them.  Sometimes it’s better to move on to bigger and better players.  The freaking tunnel vision they have on some bad players is simply ridiculous.

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic