Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

Just now, Heads22 said:

I also have a notion that the White Sox may not be as appealing of a free agency destination than many would like to think. Maybe we weren’t getting positive feedback from the FA targets. 

Well thank god the people who allowed that rot to fester have lifetime contracts.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, YoYoIsMyHero said:

In a vacuum Walker for Mazara is whatever. 

I just think you could have used Steele Walker as a piece in a much better trade. 

This. Walker could have been a super nice 2nd or 3rd piece in a bigger deal.

It’s whatever. But unless we’re moving Collins in a deal, or offense is pretty much set and we could still use another nice bat. 

• Like 1

Once again this FO thinks they can take a post hype prospect and turn them around. It still hasn't worked yet. We bought high on Rutherford and he hasn't done anything. We bought high on Casey Gillaspie and now he is in indy ball. And now we buy high on Mazara who is probably going to end up being nontendered going into next year. Maybe the 57th time is the charm, or maybe this organization should actually invest in player development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

This is the problem with Kenny and Hahn over the years.  They get obsessed with their flier targets that they think will turn into studs and never get over them.  Sometimes it’s better to move on to bigger and better players.  The freaking tunnel vision they have on some bad players is simply ridiculous.

I absolutely agree with this. They’ve liked Castellanos in the past as well

3 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Yes great post?? Walker is 23 and in Winston Salem posting similar stats as Mazara who’s been in the majors for several season and is 24. One sucks. The other is a travesty to lose. SMH...

I'd rather have 6 years of control on a lottery prospect like Walker and spend some money on a FA like Calhoun than trade for Mazara.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

Yes great post?? Walker is 23 and in Winston Salem posting similar stats as Mazara who’s been in the majors for several season and is 24. One sucks. The other is a travesty to lose. SMH...

We now have Mazara, a weak hitter and an even worse defender, for a whopping two seasons of control.  Trust me, I am not Steele Walker’s biggest fan but as a RF acquisition in an offseason where the Sox supposedly have money to spend, the Sox just acquired one of the worst targets possible.

This is the old school Kenny and Hahn move of patching a team together with castoffs from other teams, assuming they will magically pan out and be much better than they have shown in their career.

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

We now have Mazara, a weak hitter and an even worse defender, for a whopping two seasons of control.  Trust me, I am not Steele Walker’s biggest fan but as a RF acquisition in an offseason where the Sox supposedly have money to spend, the Sox just acquired one of the worst targets possible.

Your last line is a bit of an exaggeration. By no means is it the best target. I agree. But let’s see what they do next. 

13 minutes ago, chw42 said:

lol we gave up our #6 prospect for a guy who hasn't hit 1 WAR in 2 years. Terrible.

Absolutely embarrassing.  We gave up our second round pick from a year ago for a strong side platoon bat with below average defense and only two years of control plus who has Scott Boras as his agent.  I can not comprehend the logic of this move.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stealth G.O.A.T. said:

And? When and if Walker hits the big leagues, 2-3 years from now as a 25-26 year old, what difference will it make? The Sox, if they’re contending, won’t be playing Steele Walker in RF anyway. 

And they’re less likely to be contending by playing Mazara in the meantime.

The issue is way more about not doing better at getting a RF than it is about giving up Steele Walker. 

Edited by Eminor3rd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, GenericUserName said:

Once again this FO thinks they can take a post hype prospect and turn them around. It still hasn't worked yet. We bought high on Rutherford and he hasn't done anything. We bought high on Casey Gillaspie and now he is in indy ball. And now we buy high on Mazara who is probably going to end up being nontendered going into next year. Maybe the 57th time is the charm, or maybe this organization should actually invest in player development.

I mean this is pretty much the definition of buying low

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic