Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

Hey at least we know he has "stupid pop". 😂

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/rangers/2019/06/26/joey-gallo-on-nomar-mazara-s-stupid-pop-his-scouting-report-of-the-rangers-while-he-was-out-with-an-injury/

Gallo: "That guy has stupid pop. I mean, he out-hits me in batting practice. He's putting balls on the roof in batting practice. He has amazing power. I think he's starting to translate it now into the game, and it takes a while to get that stroke going because he was kind of a contact guy, more gap to gap, but he's a strong dude. He can put the balls out there with me."

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

At 24, I really don't care what dumb ass WAR he's posted in the past. 

The question is, is there any potential to un-tap going forward? 

He’s been impressively consistent at being mediocre for the entire four seasons of his career.  I’m sure he has upside at his age but what does that matter when he’s only under control for two seasons with Boras as his agent?

Holy fuck, so many White Sox fans are insufferable assholes.

Steele Walker is a 23 year old platoon/fringe prospect in high A. Mazara was a former top 20 prospect and is only 24.

ONLY 24!

Until this past season, Mazara was considered to be a core piece of the Rangers rebuild. The Sox are buying very low here. Could they have gotten Mazara for Walker this time last year? Absolutely not.

If Mazara improves just a little either offensively or defensively, he will be an above average regular. Walker will be fortunate to ever make the majors.

Get a fucking hold of yourselves.

Now, get Encarnacion for DH, a SP, and a RP, and call it good.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Dumpster diving.

So much for Price/Benintendi and officially no Joc.

This sucks! 

Props to Moan4Yoan....he called it. He isn't a pessimist, he's just a realist

It is what it is and it’s not changing until Reinsdorf is gone.  The Sox will never spend with the big boys until they get a new owner.  Until then, Kenny and Hahn have to make bad trades for fliers and hope they pan out.  Sure seems like a solid strategy to build a winner to me...

Maybe Gallo means he is stupid hitter. I don't care how many HR he hits if he only walks 30 times he is a selfish hitter, this is a Jim Thome pick. We need smart unselfish hitters. Not boom or bust guys that hit 20 doubles and can't draw a walk to save a fly. 

Edited by Chisox378

Ok yeah this is uninspiring but it's still Dec 11. If this is it, squarely a bad offseason for the Sox. No question.

What makes no sense to me is people complaining that, if he's good, we're going to lose him in the middle of our 4 year window. Umm, yeah, if he's good we have a good player for half our window? There's no downside to Mazara being good at baseball for 2020 and/or 2021.

I don't think this is all that likely a scenario, it's just a nonsensical argument.

9 minutes ago, Dickie Kerr said:

Steele Walker is a 23 year old platoon/fringe prospect in high A. Mazara was a former top 20 prospect and is only 24.

ONLY 24!

Until this past season, Mazara was considered to be a core piece of the Rangers rebuild. The Sox are buying very low here. Could they have gotten Mazara for Walker this time last year? Absolutely not.

If Mazara improves just a little either offensively or defensively, he will be an above average regular. Walker will be fortunate to ever make the majors.

Isn’t this just a further indictment of Mazara as a target?  Mazara’s value dropped even more since last year because he had another mediocre season, not even accumulating 1 WAR, so we were able to acquire him more cheaply?  😂

Edited by Moan4Yoan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, SoxAce said:

I hope Frank Menechino sees something. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, ScottyDo said:

Ok yeah this is uninspiring but it's still Dec 11. If this is it, squarely a bad offseason for the Sox. No question.

What makes no sense to me is people complaining that, if he's good, we're going to lose him in the middle of our 4 year window. Umm, yeah, if he's good we have a good player for half our window? There's no downside to Mazara being good at baseball for 2020 and/or 2021.

I don't think this is all that likely a scenario, it's just a nonsensical argument.

Ya I love that one. “If he’s good his agent is Boras and he’s good as gone!” Like who gives a fuck - if he’s good we just found a fuckton of surplus value. Not super excited for this move, but I had Mazara like 6-8 range on my RF target list. If Ricky uses him correctly, it’ll be alright. 

Edited by ChiSox59
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Isn’t this just a further indictment of Mazara as a target?  Mazara’s value dropped even more since last year since he had another mediocre season, not even accumulating 1 WAR, so we were able to acquire him more cheaply?  😂

Hes elite talent. 

This could be a hitting equivalent of the Cubs trading for Arrieta.  Look at the Bill James write up a few pages back before the season.  He comes him to Albert Pujols

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, Dickie Kerr said:

ONLY 24!

Meanwhile, better players will sign for similar money for other teams, who didn’t have to give up talent to get them.  

And every “a SP” that could reasonably be expected to be better than a mid-to-back rotation starter and was available has already signed with other teams that had less payroll flexibility than the Sox. 

• Like 1

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic