Sox acquire Nomar Mazara for Steele Walker

Buehrle>Wood

10 minutes ago, TheBlackSox8 said:

I'm thinking of this as a Scott Podsednik type move, where it allows you to go buy higher quality at 2nd/3rd/pitching.  Say the Sox sign Rendon, and move Moncada back to 2nd...no need to worry about a lefty OF with Mazara.  All there would be is pitching.

Teams that acquire guys like Mazara as their starting right fielder aren’t paying $200+ million for Rendon.

• Love 2

18 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

I'm guessing this is a guy they are going to give a chance, and he'll get at least 450 at bats, albeit, I don't think this takes Sox out of adding another outfielder and he could just as easily be a DH. Bottom line I think Sox are going to make a handful of more moves so the team has more depth and quality players, with a couple keys to Sox next steps being Lucas, Moncada, and Timmy Anderson backing up and building on last years break-out performances while Lopez & Cease take more steps forward and Kopech / Robert (and a lesser extent Madrigal & Vaughn) ideally explode on to the scene.  

3 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

If you are going to flip Mazara, then see how badly the Marlins wanted him and try to offer a package with Mazara for Caleb Smith, or to the Tigers for Mathew Boyd. I'm not totally sure why the Red Sox would want Mazara.

Would you trade Mazara for Benentendi and Price but you’d have to absorb all of Price's contract? 

1 minute ago, teorey23 said:

Guys it’s fake

Clearly the Red Sox would want more.  I don't think the Sox acquired Mazara to flip him.  Don't think Mazara has that much value that a team would be demanding him in a deal (and if it was, it would be a bigger deal and we'd hear about a 3 team deal already, imo).  This was the Sox buying a guy they think has LT upside, while also increasing their depth.  

2 minutes ago, scotty22hotty said:

Any chance he gets optioned to start the season so the Sox can get an extra year out of him? His stats would justify it...

Not sure if this is a serious suggestion but, assuming Robert does not get extended, the start of the season is when we'd need him most since we'll be down a competent outfielder 

13 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

In an absolute heart beat. I also could see a variety of scenarios where the Red & White Sox could match-up.  

What is it about benintendi that everyone loves? He’s not much better than Mazara. AB stinks at defense too and has a worse arm. Less power than Mazara. He does have better on base skills and has had a 4 win season but outside of that he’s been just an average hitter. Also his hard hit% and exit velo are below avg. he’s better but not that much better 

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Not sure if this is a serious suggestion but, assuming Robert does not get extended, the start of the season is when we'd need him most since we'll be down a competent outfielder 

It wouldn’t shock me in the slightest if they extend Robert in the coming months

5 minutes ago, whitesoxbrad said:

I am going on record right now, I really like this trade for the White Sox I really think they did outstanding.

It's an interesting gamble based on his age and gap power. If he can somehow improve his barrel % and his launch angle... could be a homerun. Alot of ifs... but definitely not impossible.